Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever sell a car before?

mannykins

Default Anyone ever sell a car before?

I personally hate it, im trying to sell my 97 prelude sh but so many damn low ballers are hitting me up and offering me 2.5k or 3k and all I want is 4k. The car it self has 132k miles and the engine has 1k and its turbo'd out but it needs to be taken out. But people still low ball on the car and it pisses me off -.- I payed close to 5k -.- Anyone ever have the same problems selling cars?

Sorry I can't help you, I've only bought a car here in Australia.

Check auto trader or something similar to find a similar car for sale too see if what you're asking a fair for your area. People will still try to lowball so if you want 4K and not a penny lower, either advertise it as 4K firm or a little over 4K so you can let it go for "less". Make sure it's clean too, and I mean spotless inside and out. It goes a long way on a good impression and people will be willing to pay a bit more for something that looks nice. Get rid of any smells if you smoke or eat in there alot too.

Not groundbreaking advise I know, but that's all I can think of.

If I understand you.... It has 130+K on it, the turbo needs replaced, and you paid almost 5k.
    And you think ppl are low balling you on the car!!! First the turbo will cost around 600- 1200 to replace.
    Then there is the fact that you have owned the car for a time.
    You are young, take the 3k, and get another car.

I built my '85 Mustang GT 5.0. Invested over 22K, sold it for 14K.
    This is what I put into it.
    Motor; 347 stroker 7,800
    trans; Tremic 5 speed 3,100
    suspention; Maxume motor sports 4,300
    turbos; Turbonetics twin kit 4,100

And this does not include the carbon fiber hood, fiberglass hatch,aluminume fenders,lambo doors.

You want $4,000 for a 1997 model car with 130,000 miles on it?

Frankly put, you're daft.

The overwhelming majority of used car shoppers don't care if it's turboed or not, especially at the $4000 I need transportation on the cheap pricepoint. For $4,000, one could buy a considerably newer car that doesn't need turbo work. Unless your car is something really special, you might needto consider lowering your price if you aren't getting interested people.

You have not told us what the body work looks like as well, that plays a big part on what the price should be. But i agree with babyracer all of those miles on a 14 yr old car that needs a new turbo. $3,000 would be your best thing to take or might be lucky with 3500

You very rarely get what you paid for/put into a car. By nature they depreciate in value unless it's something super-special, like a show car.

I actually blue booked it and in fair condition it's only 3.5k, so people probably aren't low balling you, they're actually offering the current market value of the car. You might be able to get more accurate information if you blue book it yourself since you'll know the condition of the paint/interior/tires/brakes. Even in excellent condition, which would be like new, low mileage and impeccable servicing records the car is only worth 4.5k.

New Cars, Used Cars, Blue Book Values & Car Prices - Kelley Blue Book

I've sold a few cars before... 4K for a turbo'd prelude? Good luck with the sale, I can find them for like $2500 with turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by mannykins View Post
    I personally hate it, im trying to sell my 97 prelude sh but so many damn low ballers are hitting me up and offering me 2.5k or 3k and all I want is 4k. The car it self has 132k miles and the engine has 1k and its turbo'd out but it needs to be taken out. But people still low ball on the car and it pisses me off -.- I payed close to 5k -.- Anyone ever have the same problems selling cars?
    Here's your problem.

1997 Honda Prelude - Private Party Pricing Report - Kelley Blue Book

You're asking for top dollar in a bad market. Not the best idea if you want to sell the car.

K is asking a bit much honestly especially if the blue book values are less then what you are asking for it. as stated above cars really only lower in value as time and mileage increase. you wont be able to get back what u probably put into the car especially if it needs repairs but you should be able to get at least 2.5 to the K they are offering you. good luck and make sure that all the paperwork is in order like the title. I believe the DMV actually charges for transfer of title too about 20 bucks.