Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The royal wedding

Default The royal wedding

So, this is something I'm curious about. Not because I care at all about the wedding or anything of the such, but more about what I've heard. By what I've heard, I'm talking about the media fanfare over here in the states, they seem to be going crazy about it, calling it the wedding of the century etc. Yet I've heard over in England, it isn't really being considered that big of a deal.

So I have really only two questions:
    Is the wedding actually being considered that big of a deal by the general population in England/U.K.? What about the media?

Why is the U.S. media so obsessed with this?

It's a HUGE deal!

We've got street parties (20 in my city alone), drinking games (take a shot everytime you hear the name Diana mentioned ), and a WHOLE day off!!

I don't particularly care for the wedding, I just like days off, street parties and drinking games!

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    drinking games (take a shot everytime you hear the name Diana mentioned )
    Oh wow...just...

...wow.

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    Oh wow...just...

...wow.
    Ok, so it's a bit controversial!

Lots of places have got flags up as well! It's all super duper exciting!

crazykittensmile

if I am honest, I have absolutely no idea whether this is a big deal to most of the UK population. It is not a big deal to me or any of my friends and family, and I tend to avoid the kind of media publications which would cover it in any great length, but I imagine there are people who see this as a very big deal. From what I have seen I wouldn't say it is being considered a big deal by the majority of the UK, but it is far from being ignored. It is getting some media coverage, and has been since the announcement, and naturally the closer we get the more coverage it is getting with people talking about it on the TV and radio as well as all of the news coverage. Much of the coverage outside of the news etc though is satirical, cynical or covering the story for some sort of comic effect, rather than talking about it in a serious or particularly excited way. But that may be more to do with the coverage I have seen moreso than the actual amount of coverage - I tend to get most of my news from the internet, and as such only really look at things I am interested and skip over anything not of interest (such as this wedding).

From what I can tell most people are excited about the royal wedding because the whole nation is being given a paid day off, but I don't think many people are excited to actually watch the wedding (I won't be watching it). Although I suppose people's perceptions of how important it is probably depends on the circles they move in, the TV they watch and the newspapers/magazines they read. Aside from the fact that it's happening and a few mentions on comedy shows I have pretty much avoided most coverage - none of my friends are excited and nothing I read/watch seems to be either. I imagine there are plenty of people who are very excited - there is lots of royal wedding merchandise available in tons of the shops here, and even though it is horrendously tacky it has been selling out. I have no idea what kind of person wants a Will & Kate mug or bag or flag, but they are selling really quickly.

On a UK comedy show there was a segment in which one of the comedians compared UK media coverage with US media coverage (This may be it, but it is blocked in the UK so I can't be sure: YouTube - 10 O'Clock Live - Charlie Brooker vs. The Royal Wedding) and from what he was saying it does seem that the coverage is more schmalzy (sp?) and overblown in the US, but his reporting may well be bias for comic effect.

In short, the royal wedding is definitely being covered here, but it is easily ignorable or possible to walk down the street, have a conversation or turn on the TV without being reminded of it every 10 seconds (where I live at least), but every now and then you'll walk past a display, someone will mention it or you'll hear an advert on the TV which mentions it. Personally though I am not at all patriotic and have no fondness towards the monarchy, mostly I just think this is a huge waste of money and time. In honesty, I am a little bit hoping it pours with rain and/or everything goes tits up, maybe a white horse could escape into the streets of London or a dove poo on her dress or something. At least that might make it a little more interesting.

EDIT: In response to Talula's message, no street parties here as far as I am aware...

It's a HUGE deal!

We've got street parties (20 in my city alone), drinking games (take a shot everytime you hear the name Diana mentioned ), and a WHOLE day off!!

I don't particularly care for the wedding, I just like days off, street parties and drinking games!
    You are a woman after my own heart Talula XD! I may have to copy your unique idea there with Loopy if he's up for it, although, whether I'll be able to persuade him to watch the wedding is another matter entirely :P.

In response to Coyote, as far as I can tell, no one I know in the UK gives a damn about two strangers getting married :/. Good for them and all, but I don't feel even the tiniest bit of patriotism regarding the occasion. I'm probably biased however, since the majority of people I hang out with are usually liberal, AB-related/Gay or just plain weird :P. I'd imagine it's different with the older folks over here. My Parent's generation isn't that bothered either from what I can tell, but my Grandma's is.

Also, I guess part of me resents the royals for taking such a large amount of money from Britain's economy, in a time where front-line services are being cut, and ordinary people are really struggling. William leads a privileged life, and his wedding is yet another example of that extravagance. I do have the sense though, to value the royal family as part of what makes Britain, Britain. And also appreciate the money they bring in by attracting super-curious tourists from America and China.

Having thought about it some, and having had a good try at coming up with a reason why I should care, I've concluded now that I just don't. I guess the only thing I can do is laugh at the ridiculous media scrum and high profile nonsense a simple wedding between two apparently ordinary and boring folk has created.

Now if the wedding was like this, then I'd pay attention: YouTube - The T-Mobile Royal Wedding

I'm SO looking forward to it. The entire of London is going to be one huge party. Maybe it's because I'm a tourist, but there is something bad-ass about being in the UK Capital for this. The prince may beat my wedding by about 4 months, but at least we're going to have beer!

I honestly don't care that much. I care a tiny bit but honestly the way I see it is this.
    We (as in the USA) succeeded from Britain and the monarchy and all of that crap we didn't like. Just over 300 years later we are seemingly more excited about the royal wedding then some British citizens are. Despite the fact we broke off from them and waged a very bloody and costly war with each other. Granted out relations with each other has vastly improved, but considering we are out own nation and have been for some time. I don't see why we are getting so worked up over their stupid wedding.

I am honestly hoping they get a divorce or it dissolves into a loveless marriage. Then it will really get interesting. Not that I want either of them to be hurt or go trough that pain. I just thing it would be interesting to watch.

Supersam1223

I couldn't care less TBh (haha see what I did there), to me it's just another wedding. The women in my family will watch it on TV (not being sexist but the only people in my family interested in the wedding are women).

There are some people who think it's a really big deal, for example there is this guy who's camping outside buckingham palace waiting (he was on the news this morning), but I just see it as an excuse to get drunk. :P

It's a HUGE deal!

Just out of curiosity... is there anything you people DON'T make into a drinking game?