Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I just being a jerk?

Default Am I just being a jerk?

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this but I need feedback. Its the end of the semester and I have a week of classes left and a week of finals. I have 5 finals to study for, 2 papers to do, and my normal weekly reading to do. Now my girlfriend keeps insisting that I drive down to her house sometime this week to do something with her. As much I would prefer to see her than do my school work I need to finish the school year strong and I keep telling her I need to do my work. Am I just being a douche for telling her no or do I have a valid argument?

Sounds like you have a valid reason for not being able to see her when she wants, howevere I'd suggest offering an alternative rather than just saying no. For instance promising to do something nice with her the weekend after your exams.
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by DannyJoe View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this but I need feedback. Its the end of the semester and I have a week of classes left and a week of finals. I have 5 finals to study for, 2 papers to do, and my normal weekly reading to do. Now my girlfriend keeps insisting that I drive down to her house sometime this week to do something with her. As much I would prefer to see her than do my school work I need to finish the school year strong and I keep telling her I need to do my work. Am I just being a douche for telling her no or do I have a valid argument?
    Sounds pretty legitimate to me. Education is very important, and if you have that much work on your plate, your gF needs to understand that you have to get all that done. Driving somewhere (you say down, so it sounds like it's a bit of distance) and spending at least half a day not working on your stuff could be the difference between quality work and struggling to even finish.

She must be a pretty impressive speaker to even make you wonder if your reason is a valid one lol.

EDIT:
    If you're really serious about her, tell her you need to do well in school so your lives can be better later. i.e. "I'm doing this for you." She gets the attention/reassurance she's obviously wanting. You stay and study. Win/win.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyJoe View Post
    Well, it's hard to express an absolute opinion without more background, but on the face of it, your argument is perfectly reasonable. Education is very important. Work first, play second. In your position, I'd make the same decision. Having said that, the question does arise as to whether or not you have blown her off earlier in the semester, in favour of pursuing your own interests. If you have done, then she's entitled to be a little peeved, and I'd make sure that you make it up to her when you DO have the time.

No, you're not. People don't seem to realize that no one can dedicate 100% of their time to another person. If she really loves you she should be aware of this.

Thanks guys. I really didn't think I was being unreasonable. i just wanted to make sure I had valid argument.

You have a 100% legitimate reason. Finishing school work properly and on time is a pretty high priority rather then fooling around with a girlfriend/wife. There's plenty of time for that later.

Your not being a jerk, just cold; to which this is an appropriate time for. I too would put my work over personal pleasures at times like this. It's your future in the face of your desires.

averby

i can't agree more with all the above posters =)