Thread: Xbox Modding?

alexathlete

Default Xbox Modding?

OK, so I am modding my xbox 360 because it has cooling issues, I got it pretty well planned out and will start withing the next few days. I bought my xbox 360 broken from a friend a while back, and it had problems freezing, but i fixed that. Now it has cooling issues, and I plan to take the stock fans out, put two 80mm fans in their place, and put a 70mm fan right on top of the cpu heatsink and cutting a hole in the side where the fan is.

I would just like to see how if any of you in this community has ever done this. And maybe give a few suggestions

I don't own an Xbox, but I'm pretty sure that's a bad idea. If the warranty is still good, you can send it to Microsoft, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Megamatt View Post
    I don't own an Xbox, but I'm pretty sure that's a bad idea. If the warranty is still good, you can send it to Microsoft, I think.
    Considering he already "fixed" the freezing issue, he likely already voided the warranty. He also bought it used "a while back". That means he had it a while AFTER another guy had it long enough to "break" it.

alexathlete

yah, I believe the warranty is long gone, my friend had the xbox for a while and it had a few red rings in its life before I got it. And I only got it for 25 bucks, so I'm wouldn't lose much if it fails.

I intend it to be like the one in the video. I remember reading some that the xbox 360 was originally intended to have 3 fans, but I can find anything to support that right now. As far as I can tell from the video, it looks like they are being powered by the xbox itself.

I'd look for written instructions on how to do this before you actually try anything. If you break it... you just lost your Xbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Megamatt View Post
    I'd look for written instructions on how to do this before you actually try anything. If you break it... you just lost your Xbox.
    I don't think he's too worried about it. Honestly, if it's having cooling issues, he'll probably lose it soon anyways. Modding a console isn't something you do lightly. But, he also didn't pay anywhere near full price, so I suppose it should be a fun little project.

I had a problem with my PS3 a few weeks ago, with the YLOD. I had to rip the thing apart and reapply the thermal paste to the GPU and CPU. The console overheated because I put a 7200 RPM 500GB hard drive in it to replace the 5800 RPM 60GB hard drive that was in there. But that's about the most experience I've had with consoles and tearing them apart.

Only suggestion I can make, be sure to have all the correct tools you'll need to get the job done. You've probably got a ton of stuff to work with, so it may not even be a problem. I hope others have better advice then me... And keep us posted on how it goes, I wanna hear how this works out!

alexathlete

I haven't started yet but I've got it all planned out. I will be powering the fans externally with a molex power supply ( I don't know if you understand any of these computer terms, so bear with me). Then I will use a molex to three 3 pin adapter (3 pin is the input type for a fan). Then I'll attach the three fans to the three 3 pins, but before I do that, I'll put a fan speed controller on each fan.
    As far as instructions go, I probably won't find any, and I am not too worried, I am fairly confident that with a little patience and calculated steps, I should do just fine.
    And I also hope to repaint the case, give it a little touch up.

Really, Just cut a hole and mount a 120mm or a 220mm fan.
    Run off usb
    Screw how it looks Real gamers do not care D: