Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The NFL Situation... How to REALLY deal with it

Default The NFL Situation... How to REALLY deal with it

Ok, I'm an NFL fan and have been since I was a kid. I grew up with the NFL and have a vast collection of NFL games in my personal library but good God, why make the fans suffer?

I have a simple solution. SHUT THE FUCK UP. Stop talking shit to the media. The media just wants attention as par course with American media... Shutting up is step one.

Part two of this... who the fuck needs that much money? I mean to play a game? Good God, I've not seen this much stupidity in years. It makes me wonder. NFL players and owners think they are Gods and Clods. They're fighting over MONEY. I'm someone who grew up poor and one thing I wonder about is if they KNOW what they know they're doing to the fans.

I've never seen a mass amount of money and if I did, I wouldn't know what the fuck to do with it. I grew up poor, because of a family conflict over religion and what have you so what? I'm fucking lucky to have what I do.

It's stupid, dumb and BOTH sides should be ashamed of themselves. Especially NBC, ESPN, CBS, Fox and EA sports should be ashamed of themselves. They'll make money while WE THE FANS SUFFER. It's corporate greed over the fans... those that pay for the fucking games. We're the ones who pay for the games.

They're just acting like spoilt children, both sides. I'm tired of the sabre rattling, the acting like a child who isn't potty trained, the acting like one side thinks they're right when the other is wrong... JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP. Just get a goddamn deal done. I want football this fall. Both sides are acting STUPID.

WildThing121675

Why the hell do the networks need to be ashamed of their behavior? Newsflash, if we don't watch the games, no one gets paid. The only reason they're making money in the first place is because there is a huge market for Football.

I will agree with Sparkmaster here. The NFL is a business, there fans are consumers. They are under no obligation to offer you their product. If you are as disgusted as you say you are, stop watching. And yes, it's all about money because, newsflash, that's what the NFL (and the NBA, MLB, NHL, EPL, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, IPL, F1, NASCAR, PGA...) are after: the money. Many of those teams are owned by publicly traded companies, which mean that they are legally obligated to make as much money as possible for there shareholders. If that means breaking the hearts of millions, who cares if it's for the good of the corporation? As for the players, well, they are also acting the way any rational entity should act in there situation. Blame the game, not the players, as both the owners and the players are completely within there rights (both legally and ethically) to do what they are doing, heck, they are doing what they should be doing - just like you're within your rights to stop spending money on the NFL if you so desire. The profit is what's great and occasionally not so great about capitalism - you're on the wrong end of it currently.

One thing, though: losing a season isn't all that fun, but a year is over pretty quickly. When it happened to the NHL it gave fans a chance to check out other sports, forced owners and players to create a fairer financial structure (which lead quite a bit of depth post lock-out) and gave the league the chance to do some major tweaks to the rules. As a result, NHL hockey came back from it's year off better than ever - if the NFL does lose it's 2011/2012 season, hopefully it will make the same kind of tweaks and improvements before the 2012/2013 season.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThing121675 View Post
    They're just acting like spoilt children, both sides. I'm tired of the sabre rattling, the acting like a child who isn't potty trained, the acting like one side thinks they're right when the other is wrong... JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP. Just get a goddamn deal done. I want football this fall. Both sides are acting STUPID.

WildThing121675
    They wont "shut the fuck up" since both sides stand to get or lose millions if not billions. We measure our bank accounts by the thousands if that. They measure their by the millions and thats what they are used to. If any of us were in their position (playing in the NFL in a star role for the last 4-7 years.) we wouldn't want to suffer "paycuts" either I think. Even if our yearly salary gets down to the "low" 5 million dollars.

Also NFL players and NFL teams aren't going to be reading adisc anytime soon. Unless they seriously can't find out how to wear their bambino's on the playing feild, hide them at training camp or how to mod a Nuk 5 pacifier into a mouth guard.

I had to vent here because I'm just tired of the slow process in getting a deal done and both sides just trash talking each other like they're pro wrestlers. I also don't want to suffer as a fan like I did in '94 when the baseball players went on strike. I also do have memories of the two previous work-stoppages in the National Football League- 1982 and 1987. Hell, I even watched replacement players play because I love football.

Another reason, I like the Browns schedule this year. We have one prime-time game and not the all 1:00 Sunday afternoon crap-fest schedule we had last year. I wasn't able to see a single game because of the fact I was working Sunday brunch. I am not working now, but still, I like what we have better than that Sunday 1:00 schedule.

I had to vent here, because I had to have a place to vent. I know the NFL players and owners won't read ADISC. LOL. I didn't know where else to vent, plus I have been suffering through bad insomnia and that has caused me to not think much sometimes.

WildThing121675

You also need to remember that these people are doing physical work with a high risk of sustaining injuries that prevent them from working in other fields, and they are only working for a short span of time. When most football players are retired, they usually have MANY years ahead of them, and they are too battered to do some kinds of work, and are not qualified for pretty much anything else. That money needs to last them for a very long time.

Also... suck it up? If I were all up in arms because a season of My Little Pony was postponed for a year, but knew that it would inevitably continue eventually, and likely for many, MANY years to come, you'd probably think I was stupid. Do you REALLY need to watch football at least once a week? Pick a RANDOM season of which you have not seen (and there is a vast catalogue to choose from) and watch one game from it per week at the regular time. We can all deal with re-runs for OUR fictional shows, so you can deal with it for one year.

Here's the thing, Zephy- you don't understand what my situation is. Six years I worked on Sundays, I missed seeing my team play on Sundays because of working a variety of shifts from opening to closing on Sundays that made it hard for me to see my team or go to a game. My team, by the way is the Cleveland Browns; last year we had an all 1:00 schedule so I missed every game.

Due to health reasons, I had to leave a job I loved and I had hoped that finally, I'd be able to watch the Browns as they played and not DVRed or only the 4th quarter at the bar after working the brunch buffet all day. So, yeah, I am a bit sensitive. Plus, if I have surgery or something, I'm going to be laid up and football is something that helps me relax. I have a vast collection of games taped, copied to my external hard drive, and on DVD.

I haven't been able to enjoy a Browns game on a Sunday since 2004, so yeah, I have a reason to be a bit upset. If there are no games, I'll watch NASCAR, which I already do- and baseball will be in the post-season so there will be something going on. I just was hoping to see my team play regularly for the first time since 2004. That's why I am upset about this.

WildThing121675

Quote Originally Posted by WildThing121675 View Post
    Here's the thing, Zephy- you don't understand what my situation is. Six years I worked on Sundays, I missed seeing my team play on Sundays because of working a variety of shifts from opening to closing on Sundays that made it hard for me to see my team or go to a game. My team, by the way is the Cleveland Browns; last year we had an all 1:00 schedule so I missed every game.

Due to health reasons, I had to leave a job I loved and I had hoped that finally, I'd be able to watch the Browns as they played and not DVRed or only the 4th quarter at the bar after working the brunch buffet all day. So, yeah, I am a bit sensitive. Plus, if I have surgery or something, I'm going to be laid up and football is something that helps me relax. I have a vast collection of games taped, copied to my external hard drive, and on DVD.

I haven't been able to enjoy a Browns game on a Sunday since 2004, so yeah, I have a reason to be a bit upset. If there are no games, I'll watch NASCAR, which I already do- and baseball will be in the post-season so there will be something going on. I just was hoping to see my team play regularly for the first time since 2004. That's why I am upset about this.

WildThing121675
    All of this is irrelevant. When you get down to it, it's still just a TV broadcasting. If you watch it a couple hours later than the actual showing, it won't change the results. You'll see the exact same footage you would have seen anyway. It's all in your head that you need to see football happen "at this moment". I haven't been able to enjoy a Fullmetal Alchemist episode when it plays naturally in a few years, because no channel that I have broadcasts it. Instead, I find alternatives. Funimation streams it online on Youtube. That's even better, because adblock gets rid of the ads on Youtube so I can watch as many episodes as I want back-to-back.

Your points are:
    -You want to watch football
    -Only if it's new
    -Only if you can see it live
    -Everyone else in the industry is selfish for not catering to your football needs

What you still haven't explained: WHY does it matter whether you see it live? What if you found out that the games you were watching were actually pre-recorded? Would you then like them less? (I'm not talking about going and watching the game live, I'm talking about watching it live on TV. I'm aware that being at the game is a much different experience.) If those who watch fictional television shows can deal with re-runs when their shows end forever, why can't you deal with them for ONE year?

In other words: suck it up, it's only a year, and there are MANY alternatives.
    Last edited by Zephy; 22-Apr-2011 at 23:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephy View Post
    All of this is irrelevant, When you get down to it, it's still just a TV broadcasting. If you watch it a couple hours later than the actual showing, it won't change the results. You'll see the exact same footage you would have seen anyway. It's all in your head that you need to see football happen "at this moment".
    This is so right. I can't watch all the grand prixs when I want to, some like Australia and China happen really early in the morning due to time zones and because I don't have a TV at uni I have to wait for them to come up on BBC iPlayer when they have finished and watch them online when I get the chance. Would I like to watch them when they happen to avoid them being spolied? Yes of course I would but I have to make due with the situation I'm in. As Zephy said the outcome will still be the same and you will see exactly what you would see live so there really is nothing to complain about.

atm this doesn't really bother me, i mean i only really watch football for two reasons
    1. to see my team (Green Bay Packers) win
    2. to see my states team (Minnesota Vikings) lose horribly (which they will be doing now cause Brett Favre is gone)

otherwise if i miss a game i can always look up the stats online, i don't necessarily have to watch football, i could follow another sport, but meh