Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got some molicares from the store :D

Default Just got some molicares from the store :D

All of my family left on vacation for a week, leaving me behind on my own (which is pretty much its own vacation because the house is actually quiet for a change). Last time I had a week alone I had to settle for buying depends fitted, which I picked up on my way home from dropping everyone off at the airport (I was not only nervous as hell, but the cashier didnít bag them either so I ended up carrying the pack in the open through the parking lot). However, this time around I did some searching online beforehand and found a medical supply store nearby that seemed to carry molicare.

I dropped everyone off at the airport late last night, and managed to pick up a pack of medium molicare super plus this morning, with the plan of going 24/7 for as long as I can. With the medical supply store being small and not seeming to have much business at the time, the salesguy on the floor didnít have much else to do and was pretty insistent on being helpful. To make a long story short (I can provide the long version if people are interested), I ended up buying a 14 pack of medium molicare super plusís (for $32 ), the entire time conversing with the salesguy and doing my best to not feel awkward (I think I did pretty good, the trick is to remember that awkwardness brings on more awkwardness)

So now a few questions:
    1) For the depends, I found that they leaked like crazy until I developed a decent taping scheme. However, Iíve noticed that the molicares I just bought only have two tapes. Is there a ďcorrectĒ way to tape the molicares to prevent leaks, or is that just an issue specific to depends?

2) Upon getting home with the goods, I found myself measuring and recording the dimensions of the pack, dimensions of the diaper (folded and unfolded), weight empty, and weight full after using it to the point it needed changing (after putting it in a plastic bag ofc). Has anyone else done this before, or am I just weird?

I'm guessing you live in Europe?

I haven't gotten too exact with measurements, I prefer qualitative observations. But I have inspected and compared the different brands that I have worn.

Quote Originally Posted by kwis View Post
    I'm guessing you live in Europe?
    Southern California actually, that's why I thought it was worth a post as I've not heard of anyone finding any for sale in a store around here.

Quote Originally Posted by kwis View Post
    I haven't gotten too exact with measurements, I prefer qualitative observations. But I have inspected and compared the different brands that I have worn.
    I guess I'm just the opposite then, it drives me nuts to read a review and see someone say "y brand pretty absorbent as compared to x brand" rather than give a quantitative measurement of the actual capacity that I can then use to make the comparison myself.

i live in la! Where abouts did you find the molicares? I would love to find some other options besides depends. What other brands did they carry?

I'm really curious. What did you talk to the sales guy about? Did you say they were for you? If so, what was the reason you gave him for buying them? Bedwetting?

And congrats. Pretty jealous of ya right now!

Molicares stocked by an American store?! Lucky The best diapers I've found so far were some Secure X-plus diapers at a Medicine Shoppe here in Ohio.

I'd like to hear what you guys talked about too, kinda curious what I might run into if I ever decide to buy from a drug store.

Oh wow, that is certainly interesting to find Molicares for retail in the states.

As for the two-tape thing, the trick is to get the legs as snug as possible without them digging/cutting into the flesh and/or cutting off circulation. It's hard to describe in forum text, but there is a definite "you got it right" versus "you fudged it up", and you'll just have to play around with a few to figure out which is which (sorry to say, but it's truly a "practice makes perfect scenario").

As for measuring the "goods", I get it, although I will assert that it's a bit obsessive and/or over the top. A fact-oriented type wants to quantitatively know that the thing they've purchased is better than previous purchases. But, in the case of diapers, there is a certain, "This just feels thicker/better," that is worth attention in the detail oriented "cost/value" proposition.

As for finding Molicares in a store, good for you! It's been about six years since I've been able to find Molis in a med supply store. Good on you for finding one of the last holdouts of retail America. Make sure you patronize them and show them their business choices were the proper ones.

Quote Originally Posted by dude00 View Post
    i live in la! Where abouts did you find the molicares? I would love to find some other options besides depends. What other brands did they carry?
    They carried prevail, nu fit, and some random tena stuff (mostly pads I think). The store was near san diego, I found it by googling stuff like "medical supply store near <insert nearby cities>" and then checking the websites of each one I could find.

As for the conversation between me and the salesguy, it was mostly just him "selling" me the diapers. I showed the appropriate level of cluelessness that one would expect from sombody who wasn't in the habit of buying them, and subtley played it off like I was helping out a neighbor and trying to remember what they'd said to look for. As he was holding a bag of prevail and saying something about daytime or nightime use and prevail being a pull-up, I said "he said to look for something like abena or.. mcare?.. molicare?" at which point the guy said "oh molicare, sounds like he knew exactly what he wanted, they're imported from germany, it's the best diaper in the world".

Because over the course of the conversation I'd mentioned that my imaginary neighbor ordered online usually, but had been having computer issues (hence me offering to make a run to the store for them after fixing their computer), he asked me what they cost online as he was ringing it up. Being a bit annoyed about the $32 pricetag, I said $20 a pack (which is the price on xp medical, I was probably hoping he'd feel bad about the 50% markup) and then mentally kicked myself for going slightly out of character and "knowing" that. He didn't believe it, so I passed it off with an "I don't really know, mostly just guessing".

In hindsight it seems really stupid that I went to all that trouble to make such an elaborate backstory. With it being a medical supply store and all that, I'm sure people going in and buying diapers is a several times a day occurance. I could have just as easily just gotten them without all the pretexting and let the people in the store think whatever they wanted to think.

Quote Originally Posted by irnub View Post
    They carried prevail, nu fit, and some random tena stuff (mostly pads I think). The store was near san diego, I found it by googling stuff like "medical supply store near <insert nearby cities>" and then checking the websites of each one I could find.

As for the conversation between me and the salesguy, it was mostly just him "selling" me the diapers. I showed the appropriate level of cluelessness that one would expect from sombody who wasn't in the habit of buying them, and subtley played it off like I was helping out a neighbor and trying to remember what they'd said to look for. As he was holding a bag of prevail and saying something about daytime or nightime use and prevail being a pull-up, I said "he said to look for something like abena or.. mcare?.. molicare?" at which point the guy said "oh molicare, sounds like he knew exactly what he wanted, they're imported from germany, it's the best diaper in the world".

Because over the course of the conversation I'd mentioned that my imaginary neighbor ordered online usually, but had been having computer issues (hence me offering to make a run to the store for them after fixing their computer), he asked me what they cost online as he was ringing it up. Being a bit annoyed about the $32 pricetag, I said $20 a pack (which is the price on xp medical, I was probably hoping he'd feel bad about the 50% markup) and then mentally kicked myself for going slightly out of character and "knowing" that. He didn't believe it, so I passed it off with an "I don't really know, mostly just guessing".

In hindsight it seems really stupid that I went to all that trouble to make such an elaborate backstory. With it being a medical supply store and all that, I'm sure people going in and buying diapers is a several times a day occurance. I could have just as easily just gotten them without all the pretexting and let the people in the store think whatever they wanted to think.
    Yeah, honestly, at a medical supply store, they're expecting people to be embarrassed about their medical needs, so making up elaborate stories is somewhat par for the course but entirely unnecessary. Ime used to have a local medical supply store that sold Molicares, and I quickly realized that A) they were smarter than they looked, and B), they wanted to help, and they had seen enough clients to figure out the reality of a situation. That meant that they figured out pretty quick that I was buying those medium Molicares for myself and that they, for whatever reason, had a client that was ready to spend money with them.

Honestly, NO ONE terribly cares why you're buying diapers. In a medical supply store, they're used to clients with various medical reasons that might be embarrassed about their medical needs. In a chain store, the cashier is a wage-slave that doesn't give a shit about anything.

Bottom line-just buy the damn things, and fuck what they think. They either don't care, or are happy that you're spending your money at their establishment. Just run with it and act like you have legitimate reason to be there.