Thread: Home made plastic pants

Default Home made plastic pants

I was going to put this on my blog but I was proud enough of it that I thought I would put it somewhere more visible. I noticed there's been a lot of talk on here lately of people buying plastic pants but I thought it would be fun to make some.

I started with an EVA vinyl shower curtain (has a more rubbery feel than PVC but still crinkles) and then added elastic and snaps like I've seen at a number of online stores. I purchased enough supplies to make about 4 of these for a grand total of $16.

This was my first experience using a sewing machine and I did a zigzag stitch on all of the elastic (thanks Angela Bauer for suggesting this in a really old thread). I might still go back and add extra reinforcement to the snaps because I'm not sure how long they will last with just a double layer of vinyl under them. I still have some fine tuning to do like make sure all of the little sticking out threads are cut off and trimming up the vinyl that falls outside the elastic but I'm happy with the result. At first I was worried that the butterflies might be a little too girly but then I decided that they aren't because they are blue butterflies.

Take a look below and let me know what you think.

turtlepins

Really cute! Well done! My daughter-in-law has made me some rhumba pants, but she used store-bought Leakmaster plastic pants as the base to work from.

Those are awesome! How well do these work? And if they work well, what's your thoughts on selling a pair? I'd be interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Those are awesome! How well do these work? And if they work well, what's your thoughts on selling a pair? I'd be interested!
    I'm not sure how well they work yet because I haven't worn them except for trying them on to see if the fit is right. And I'm not exactly a pro or have the spare time to crank these out at the moment. My wife, who is an excellent at sewing and knitting, keeps half-joking that she's going to go into the adult baby clothing business. I'll let you know if she decides to make that a serious endeavor.

Nice job. Sewing plastic/vinyl is difficult. I don't know if you prefer vinyl; some people do. However, polyurethane laminate (PUL) is a pretty nice material, too. I find that it's a little easier to sew, and it is much more durable than vinyl (can even be machine washed/dried). Another bonus is that, with PUL, it is self-healing to some extent. The pinholes created by sewing will close up a bit if you put it in a hot dryer for a short time (~10 minutes).

Some PUL: Wholesale PUL Fabric for Cloth Diapers
    JoAnn fabrics also has a limited supply, though I can't vouch for its quality as I've never tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by happydl View Post
    I let me know what you think.
    okay, but don't be offended:
    first thing i noticed was the cut - you'd be better off with 'forward facing legs'. they're harder to do than a simple brief cut, but the comfort and leak protection is worth the fettling of a design. with my MK2 latest pants,

you can see what i mean. you can also see how it's not quite right; i corrected that with next pant by cutting a bigger scoop for the leg fronts, without reducing the width of the crotch, and gave a more forward fitting by slightly scooping the front waist (pulling the front crotch forward). the hard part was the machine stitching as the angle of the leg cut at the front was more acute than normal and the material is stiffer than others.
    also, i'd recommend wider elastics as they're much more comfortable.

and a further note on elastics: i struggled to size mine correctly because the stiffness of the vinyl obviously takes up a big part of the stretchiness and i'm still not happy with the waists of the MK2 (in the pic) and MK3 (my fave). but luckily, these pants are intended for daytime use, so not much squirting in the laid down position.

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    first thing i noticed was the cut - you'd be better off with 'forward facing legs'. they're harder to do than a simple brief cut, but the comfort and leak protection is worth the fettling of a design.
    Hey, no offense taken. I actually spent quite a bit of time getting the cut close to right. That's actually the second pair that I cut out because I wasn't happy with the first. It was challenging keeping the crotch width to a minimum of 12 inches yet have the leg holes work out correctly. It was a long process of try it on, make an adjustment, try it on again. In the end, I find that it fits nearly perfect although I'm sure there is more room for improvement. By the way, I've noticed that EVA vinyl is actually kind of stretchy.. at least it seems more stretchy that PVC.

---------- Post added at 07:09 ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    Nice job. Sewing plastic/vinyl is difficult. I don't know if you prefer vinyl; some people do. However, polyurethane laminate (PUL) is a pretty nice material, too. I find that it's a little easier to sew, and it is much more durable than vinyl (can even be machine washed/dried). Another bonus is that, with PUL, it is self-healing to some extent. The pinholes created by sewing will close up a bit if you put it in a hot dryer for a short time (~10 minutes).

Some PUL: Wholesale PUL Fabric for Cloth Diapers
    JoAnn fabrics also has a limited supply, though I can't vouch for its quality as I've never tried it.
    I've known about PUL for quite a long time and I've seen it at JoAnn fabrics before. I know it is quite a bit more durable than vinyl but this reminded me of my childhood so I thought vinyl would be fun for my first pair.

I decided that I needed some nice cloth diapers to do along with the plastic pants so I made some. Cotton flannel was on sale at the fabric store so I bought 4 yards which is enough to make two of these. It is my own design. To make the design I first made some small mock-ups with paper to see how the end result would look. After I had a style that I liked, I created a cardboard template based off of my measurements and used that to mark and cut out the fabric. The sides are three layers of cotton flannel and all through the middle from front to back is 7 layers. I quilted all of it as well. There is elastic around the leg openings and it closes at the top with Velcro. It fits absolutely perfect and I can't believe how much softer and more comfortable it is than a disposable. I can't even describe how good it feels to put this on. Now that I have the template perfected, I can make myself more of these pretty quickly and cheaply. The materials for one of these costs about $8 and takes about an hour and a half to make.

The color in the picture is a little off because of the lighting. It should be kind of a light greenish color.

Keep the info coming, thanks
    I'm just getting started, but am also making my own.
    Did you make your soaker, rectangular or contoured?
    Also did you use walmart super flannel or what and how bad is 7 layers to dry?
    Sorry for all the questions, but I know your ahead of me and I am trying to make fewer "bad designs"

Quote Originally Posted by Eflexdl View Post
    Keep the info coming, thanks
    I'm just getting started, but am also making my own.
    Did you make your soaker, rectangular or contoured?
    Also did you use walmart super flannel or what and how bad is 7 layers to dry?
    Sorry for all the questions, but I know your ahead of me and I am trying to make fewer "bad designs"
    The soaker is rectangular. I've seen lots of commercial examples with around 7 layers and that's how much material I had using 2 yards of fabric per diaper. It can be dried normally. The fabric isn't from walmart (no walmart in my area actually) but from the fabric store a block from my work.