Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Crashed, need help!

Default Computer Crashed, need help!

I'm a big computer guy myself, and I can't figure this out.

My Toshiba Laptop refuses to start up, even in repair mode. It just stays in a blank screen. In the past, to fix this, I would restore factory defaults, but after about a day or two, it would crash and not work again. This time, it won't work at all. Booting in recovery does not work.
    Getting it fixed is not an option, due to the warranty being up. And getting a new one is also not, I lack the money.
    Could someone please give me suggestions?

Is it doing the back screen upon bootup where you would normally see the Toshiba logo? This reminds me of my job with Dell Latitude D series and what I nick-named the "Black screen of death", aka, the LCD backlight comes on but nothing is deplayed. I hope its not for the same reason because on those machines, that's a sign of GPU failure thus meaning a motherboard replacement is needed though Dell will replace the board even if the machine is out of warranty due to the fact the D620/630 used a nVidia GPU that was recalled. However, the issue could also be caused by a large number of things, such as bad RAM (especially if its using a GPU that uses shared RAM), LCD cable is loose, etc.

Also, what model is your Toshiba laptop?

Do you have files on there you absolutely need to access? If not, I'd suggest you acquire/buy/download a copy of an operating system (Linux is free, if you don't like stealing software) and completely wipe your system. It sucks, but it's really the easiest way to get your computer back into tip-sop shape. There is a difference in recovery mode and restoring factory defaults and actually installing a blank copy of an OS.

If installing a new OS doesn't work, and from your issues it may not, it might be time to start shopping for a new PC. Back-to-school deals will be starting up here in a few months, so if you keep an eye out on those and start looking for deals, you might be able to find something for cheap.

-Goose

alright, my model is the l500D laptop and it boots up, but not passed the windows is loading screen (Windows 7) i also cannot access the repair your computer thing. just a black screen where i am able to move the mouse

It can probably be fixed, but if at all possible, I would just backup anything you want to keep and re-install.

To do the backup, use any linux live CD type distro if your comfortable with that, and just dump everything to an external. You could also pull the hard drive out and plug it into a working machine, either internally, or via an external sata/ide to USB adapter (these can be picked up quite cheap... or you can even buy an external hd enclosure without the drive and use that).

*Linux elitist mode*

This is one of my big complaints with windows. It's a black box.. and when it works it's fine.. but once something goes wrong you are generally screwed. Linux, especially my distro of choice (gentoo) does break more frequently than windows, but when it does, you have the access and info to actually find out what's going on and fix it. If you are interested, now might be a good time to give Linux a try (if you haven’t already) ... can't hurt you! At worst you'll have another tool in your toolbox.

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    It can probably be fixed, but if at all possible, I would just backup anything you want to keep and re-install.

To do the backup, use any linux live CD type distro if your comfortable with that, and just dump everything to an external. You could also pull the hard drive out and plug it into a working machine, either internally, or via an external sata/ide to USB adapter (these can be picked up quite cheap... or you can even buy an external hd enclosure without the drive and use that).

*Linux elitist mode*

This is one of my big complaints with windows. It's a black box.. and when it works it's fine.. but once something goes wrong you are generally screwed. Linux, especially my distro of choice (gentoo) does break more frequently than windows, but when it does, you have the access and info to actually find out what's going on and fix it. If you are interested, now might be a good time to give Linux a try (if you haven’t already) ... can't hurt you! At worst you'll have another tool in your toolbox.
    First, I do not know how to install Linux, second I won't be able to install anything, it won't even let me reinstall windows. It gives me a black screen when I run the disc after it loads the files. I do not care about any lost files either.

if you can get to post you can run linux right off a disk or usb drive with no need to install anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuei View Post
    if you can get to post you can run linux right off a disk or usb drive with no need to install anything.
    I have multiple laptops. But the one that crashed is mine. This one is my bro's.

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

I just received news that my mom is just going to take it in.

Everyone, thanks for the help anyways

If your computer can get to a black screen with a mouse that means it's able to post boot which means you can get to the BIOS as well.

Go into your BIOS and set your computer to boot from CD insert and windows CD and do a repair.

To me it sounds like your os is damaged

Sent from my Behold II using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    If your computer can get to a black screen with a mouse that means it's able to post boot which means you can get to the BIOS as well.

Go into your BIOS and set your computer to boot from CD insert and windows CD and do a repair.

To me it sounds like your os is damaged

Sent from my Behold II using Tapatalk
    I tried exatly that, I din't take my computer in yet, but everything I have tried does not work. I am able to access DOS if that helps.