Thread: I won

Default I won

I'm gonna start right off with saying how inspired I am with all the recent happenings in my life to type something up like what you're about to read at this very second. At first it's gonna come off like I'm bragging but I assure you that is not the case because there's a lesson to learn from what I have acquired. Before I begin though, let me just get this out of the way first to calm my writing, *ahem*

___K YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE AH!

Alright, I think I'm good now.

The string of luck I've had lately is just unreal and the way it all happened is like pulling off a string of combos in a fighter game were it's executed flawless. It started with me getting off work yesterday at around 8am like I always do. The drive to my chriopractor after wards always fills my head with good spirits because it feels good to finally be taking care of a huge problem in my life after years of ignoring it. Now the professional massage after my "adjustment" is the definition of a kid who wants sprinkles on his icecream but gets sprinkles AND gummi bears. It probably helps that my massage girl is a oldskool jaded raver like me who now just loves the music for the music, particularly dubstep, downtempo, and house. How can you not love that? You can't ...well I can't.

When I finally do get home I'm greeted by a offline message waiting for me from my fellow junglist/dubber, Tekfox saying I have to check this video out. Alright, *click* *.......waits for it, waits for it, waaai* HOLY SHIT! YES!

This is officially the best dubstep video I have ever seen now. Brilliant. The sticker at the end inspires me to get some custom made I might add. Let this be a lesson: Don't screw with a dubstepper's wheels. We will destroy your drums.

The day is off to a good start and it's only morning. Poor lion needs much needed Z's though and so I do just that.

*wakes up eight hours later*

At this point in my world I overslept by two hours because now I will barely get to hang out with better half lion known as Noname since he goes to bed around this time. Damn M-F'ers! (I just realized how that comes across as a double pun, ha!) Still though having to wake up at 4am to get ready for work it's understandable.

I check my email at this point, my eyes half open as their still waking up when they nearly pop out of their sockets when I start reading the name of one of the senders of my new mail inbox. Zoltron ...wait! ZOLTRON! NO WAY! NO F'ING WAY! Noname! I WON!

"Huh?"

The contest I told you about, I won!

This where the meat of this post will lie. It's now time to explain why this is such a big deal to me.

As most of you know I grew up in very religious household where anything not of God was not allowed under their roof. That famous "as long as you live under my roof, you will live by me". This related to anything and everything. When my parents could no longer afford to keep me in private school I went to public school. I remember I was sitting on the school bus and one kid had a t-shirt that said "PRIMUS" on the front with a strange looking bug on the front. I thought it was pretty cool so at this point my interest was intrigued. When he turned around to sit down, I saw the back of the t-shirt had a photo of three individuals cast in a green tint. Who the hell was Primus? I had to know and so I started up a conversation with the kid which only resulted in me wanting to find out more.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8093/miscellaneousdebris3.jpghttp://img685.imageshack.us/img685/866/miscellaneousdebris2.jpg

I swear that photo was looking right at me. I find out later the front man was Les Claypool sporting dreads even. This is just to give you a idea of how long this was. 80's! I start purchasing all the cd's, tees, etc I've missed out on only to have parents eventually find it all and destroy it. They tell me this kind of music is "sexular" and not of God so it must be burned from the hell it came from. I wasn't kidding when I told you they are highly religious. You know what though? This didn't stop me, if anything it only fueled me to want it more. It's true what they say, telling someone they can't have something only triggers off rebellion in a kid to simply not care. I was that kid and let's face it, christian rock and gospel I found to be god awful and yes pun was intended. (oh shit son!)

So now picture if you will this being my first exposure to music outside of the realm of that of a christian. It's no wonder I later became so hooked and to this day I still consider them my favorite band of all time. I'm nearly thirty, I mean c'mon! I still have vivid memories of the times I would straight up lie to my parents about spending the night at a friends place to only use it as a cover to have the "cool" parents drive or even take us to a Primus show. I have been to so many tours thanks to that and I have tried all these years to never neglect my roots because it's what makes us who we are. Cheesy eh? Damn right.

Now that the background is out of the way, back to the present tense contest. Zoltron is the company who has been Primus's main printing people. They do all the work for their albums, tees, posters, etc. They also run a pretty bitching company outside of all that full of some amazing street art. They recently did a very rare limited edition silkscreen poster to promote a special benefit of Baby Matthew who is fighting cancer that they sold at a special show. After the show they had special variants to sell off to help the cause even more.

Details of contest

None of us knew when they would start sending out emails but I wasn't happy with the way they choose to handle this. To a fan, it shouldn't be about luck when offering up a item so rare. For all we know some jerk could win and turn around to put it up on eBay for like $500+. The sad thing is I have no doubt in my mind they would get that kinda money easily since it's very rare to hear of Primus signing anything. A contest like this should be about those of us who want to support the cause of Matthew and show our love for Primus by being apart of that cause. I wanted it be something that set us apart from the rest, like write a short essay on why you should win.

All these thoughts kept circling in my head for days until I finally said "fuck it" and typed it all up in a professional tone email trying to keep it short and to the point. Not easy for me as you know *points to what you're reading* but you know what? It worked! I been doing the Ren & Stimpy Happy Happy Joy Joy dance in my head since the news of the wow factor I actually won.

They day still isn't over. I would say about a hour later I get a email from the owner of 8-Bit Zombie saying he had some good news for me. I recently asked what the chances of reprinting the 8-bit Nightmare hat were since it was sold out. Ross tells me that he found one lying around, gives me a promo code for a nice chunk of % even. Not only that but we get into discussing doing Toejam & Earl design for part of the Summer line. My 80's heart skipped a beat.

The night still isn't over. You see the pattern here? I get another email later from the store known as Zumiez informing me that the entire Deathwish pro skateboard team is going to be at my local store this Saturday. Damn! This is awesome news because I can get my unused Lizard King deck signed by the man himself. Yes it's unused because I already broke one too many bones skateboarding in my past so now I just admire the lifestyle for what it is. I'm like that creepy dad on the sidelines who comes to watch from a distance and maybe bitch about the good ol' days if it comes up. Well except I'm only twenty nine ha!

The emails have finally come to a stop at this point. The clock reads a little past 10pm. What to do? I decide no night off from work (mind you I just worked 8 nights in a row, fuck you inventory!) is complete without beer and so I walk to our local OG Mart to purchase some and my first lottery scratcher EVER. I figured why not and my online papa Raccoon and Badboybunny told me I should chance it. No I didn't win but that's okay and no I have no desire to try again.

Before I started into the beer though I had to go out for one more stop, In n Out Burger. I can't think of a better way to end my day with some Animal style fries well done, Animal style Double Double, and a strawberry shake. The best part is driving back and finding out no one took my parking spot right out in front. YES!

*cracks open my Fosters* Midnight.

There is a lesson from all this but first thank you if you actually read this far. I know I suck at keeping it short, so thank you again.

Don't be afraid to take that extra incentive to set yourself apart from the rest. I didn't know if sending that email to Zoltron was actually gonna cause any kind of impact on the way they choose to handle things. It did though and I'm damn grateful someone on their end actually took the time to listen. I'm sure we've all gone through that inner voice demon battle going "what if?" over and over in your head to the point you curse yourself in frustration because it's too late to find out the answer. Fuck all that noise because that won't be with the case with me and hopefully after reading all this it won't be the case with you.

Bottom line,
    Regret is for suckers.

Wow.

Nothing I can say in response is going to live up to the grandeur of this post!

All I can say is that, I totally empathise with your love for Primus. Once hormones began to course through my blood stream, Sigur Ros was always there to tend to the wounds in my heart and soul. I wouldn't be the adult writing this post now without them. And I kid not, when I say, I would happily have the lead singer's babies.

But seriously, well done/good job/congratulations! That's an almost once in a lift time experience you've had there. Remember and cherish it, and above all, when you're down, remember that it can be so much better!

Also, thank you for sharing. You've helped to brighten my day . But also, I hope it pleases you to know, I am jealous beyond measure :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    Wow.

Nothing I can say in response is going to live up to the grandeur of this post!

All I can say is that, I totally empathise with your love for Primus. Once hormones began to course through my blood stream, Sigur Ros was always there to tend to the wounds in my heart and soul. I wouldn't be the adult writing this post now without them. And I kid not, when I say, I would happily have the lead singer's babies.

But seriously, well done/good job/congratulations! That's an almost once in a lift time experience you've had there. Remember and cherish it, and above all, when you're down, remember that it can be so much better!

Also, thank you for sharing. You've helped to brighten my day . But also, I hope it pleases you to know, I am jealous beyond measure :P.
    What pleases me more than anything is to have a single soul actually comment back. It's really disheartening to take the time to try to make a post that strays away from the typical cycle of repeat/rinse only to have it go without a single mention. It's like this mental head game of "why even bother?" and I start questioning myself with things like "Do I even belong here?". For the most part it's just my OCD taking over but I be lying if I said I didn't take it a little personal. I need to stop that.

If I brightened your day though, well mission achieved as far as I'm concerned. More than happy to help. You Sir are very welcome and thank you from me as well.

That's a pretty good day

Also, on the one hand, the lottery is a tax on people who can't do math. On the other hand, if it's played rarely and with the right attitude, the time you get to spend "what iffing" is well worth the minimal cost. You made out okay even without the big lottery win. Congratulations!