Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Viacom wants to know what you watch

  1. #1

    Default Viacom wants to know what you watch

    Speaking of gross violations of privacy: Judge Orders Google to Turn Over YouTube Records: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance. What do you think of that? I think people ought to challenge Viacom. Even if the data is anonymized.. I don't like it.

  2. #2

    Default

    I think judges that allow this kind of stuff need to be put under review or something....

  3. #3

    Default

    Who cares if Viacom knows what I watch? What is Viacom gonna do about it?

  4. #4

    Default

    I heard about it after the article reached front page on Digg.

    I am not happy about it at all. Viacom was demanding even more than the data from YouTube's databases. They were demanding Google's source code to their search engine and YouTube, and more. As well as copies of all private videos uploaded to YouTube.

    Of course, it wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for the fact that they have also been sent IP logs of all your history.

    I am not one to normally get too concerned about this pissed me off real bad.

  5. #5
    Darkfinn

    Default

    Big Brother is always watching over your shoulders boys... whether you know about it or not.

  6. #6

    Default

    Well firstly;
    I think Viacom has every right to Sue Google. Youtube should have done better in filtering the copyrighted videos.

    Secondly;
    I understand why they want users I.P. adresses, to know who watched these videos, I really don't care.

    Thirdly;
    I ws under the impression that once it was on T.V. it was public? Only thing I can think of, is Youtube making a profit (Which they do, ads and whatnot) so would that be considered 'selling' those clips?

    Lastly;
    It's not that big of a deal guys...

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Mandi View Post
    Secondly;
    I understand why they want users I.P. adresses, to know who watched these videos, I really don't care.

    Thirdly;
    I ws under the impression that once it was on T.V. it was public? Only thing I can think of, is Youtube making a profit (Which they do, ads and whatnot) so would that be considered 'selling' those clips?
    They have no need for our IP addresses. All they want to prove is their own content is more popular than "amateur" content uploaded by users. While IP addresses are public information, they could, with proper assistance of ISPs, potentially identify users. Though, if they agree to scrub the data, IP addresses will probably be replaced by an appropriately mapped random number.

    As for 3: No, that's not true. I mean, Sony v. Universal established that time-shifting (i.e. recording shows to watch them later) was fair use, but this was for personal use. The owners still retain their copyrights, and you can't reproduce their work for public viewing without their permission.

    Now, I don't much care if it is released what I watch on Youtube, so in that sense it's not a "big deal". But, the reason it is a big deal, is because the way American courts work on precedence. It sets a precedent where companies can be forced to turn over large amounts of personal data about their users to facilitate a lawsuit. Today it's youtube.. maybe tomorrow it's what you typed into a search engine.. then maybe the contents of your inbox. That's why it's scary.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Mandi View Post
    Well firstly;
    I think Viacom has every right to Sue Google. Youtube should have done better in filtering the copyrighted videos.

    Secondly;
    I understand why they want users I.P. adresses, to know who watched these videos, I really don't care.

    Thirdly;
    I ws under the impression that once it was on T.V. it was public? Only thing I can think of, is Youtube making a profit (Which they do, ads and whatnot) so would that be considered 'selling' those clips?

    Lastly;
    It's not that big of a deal guys...
    1. It is impossible to filter videos on such a scale as youtube to please the fascists at Viacom.
    2. Getting a list of users IP addresses is sort of a worthless effort. Ip addresses on DSL users change dynamically and any other user can change their IP if they know what to do. Besides they can't sue for it. If they tried they would loose. Besides the furthest back you can get with an IP if you search it is the main hub from where it is hosted. Which could be multiple cities in one spot.
    3.I was under that assumption too. I believe it is public Viacom is just assholes. It's not like people upload entire movies onto youtube. Showing a clip of any movie does not violate any copyright laws. Besides there are no ads that I can see on youtube so..
    4thly. Depends on how far they are going. Otherwise no it really doesn't matter unless it ruins youtube. Oh well there is always megavideo.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by chevre View Post
    Speaking of gross violations of privacy: Judge Orders Google to Turn Over YouTube Records: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance. What do you think of that? I think people ought to challenge Viacom. Even if the data is anonymized.. I don't like it.
    Me neither, its total BS, i have a user account and watched countless copywrited videos.



    Quote Originally Posted by Dethklok_still_rules View Post
    Who cares if Viacom knows what I watch? What is Viacom gonna do about it?
    they will ban you, maybe


    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Jake View Post
    I heard about it after the article reached front page on Digg.

    I am not happy about it at all. Viacom was demanding even more than the data from YouTube's databases. They were demanding Google's source code to their search engine and YouTube, and more. As well as copies of all private videos uploaded to YouTube.

    Of course, it wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for the fact that they have also been sent IP logs of all your history.

    I am not one to normally get too concerned about this pissed me off real bad.
    1. yeah! see Cox suspended my internet
    2. THe Google search algorithem! that is Top Secret
    3. yes it does, because i have an account with videos and i dont want to get banned


    Quote Originally Posted by Mandi View Post
    Well firstly;
    I think Viacom has every right to Sue Google. Youtube should have done better in filtering the copyrighted videos.

    Secondly;
    I understand why they want users I.P. adresses, to know who watched these videos, I really don't care.

    Thirdly;
    I ws under the impression that once it was on T.V. it was public? Only thing I can think of, is Youtube making a profit (Which they do, ads and whatnot) so would that be considered 'selling' those clips?

    Lastly;
    It's not that big of a deal guys...
    how could they make a profit when there are no ads in most videos, they dont force you, ITS A CHOICE!



    Quote Originally Posted by Sickness View Post
    1. It is impossible to filter videos on such a scale as youtube to please the fascists at Viacom.
    2. Getting a list of users IP addresses is sort of a worthless effort. Ip addresses on DSL users change dynamically and any other user can change their IP if they know what to do. Besides they can't sue for it. If they tried they would loose. Besides the furthest back you can get with an IP if you search it is the main hub from where it is hosted. Which could be multiple cities in one spot.
    3.I was under that assumption too. I believe it is public Viacom is just assholes. It's not like people upload entire movies onto youtube. Showing a clip of any movie does not violate any copyright laws. Besides there are no ads that I can see on youtube so..
    4thly. Depends on how far they are going. Otherwise no it really doesn't matter unless it ruins youtube. Oh well there is always megavideo.
    1. thats true theres soooo many awful videos uploaded.
    2. agreed
    3. agreed therye assholes and its a choice
    4. it cant be stopped.

  10. #10

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.