Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At night?

Default At night?

So, I have been wondering this for a while now. A few of my IC' friends say that they pee a ton at night and need to wear heavy night time protection.

My question is this:

Why do incontinent people pee so much at night? Doesn't your body slow urine production at night?

DrunknFox

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    So, I have been wondering this for a while now. A few of my IC' friends say that they pee a ton at night and need to wear heavy night time protection.

My question is this:

Why do incontinent people pee so much at night? Doesn't your body slow urine production at night?
    I'm not IC, but I should probably pitch in the fact that your body does most of it's maintenance at night. It's the one part of the day when you're not active, and needing to use your other functions, such as sight. So possibly your kidneys work easier at night, or maybe faster?

Loopygone

Ever woken up in the morning really needing to pee?

Your body keeps up the rate of urine production, but due to you being asleep at the time you can't void regularly like you do during the day, causing it to build up, or in the case of someone who's incontinent to leak out. Most people with incontinence will change several times a day, but it's a bit hard to change when you're asleep :P.

One of my doctors explained to me that since my body is at rest for that long, other parts of my body isn't needing fluids so it needs to expel all the excess.

There is a hormone, arginine vasopressin, which surprises urine production in normal folks at night. If you do not produce this antidiuretic hormone then you stand a pretty good chance of wetting the bed or at least having to get up a few times a night to pee. People who take The drug DAVP attempt to replace what is missing though I have heard the side effects can be nasty. With all anti diuretics my mouth turns into a desert, I get dizzy and a headache, I do not tolerate them well...

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Ever woken up in the morning really needing to pee?

Your body keeps up the rate of urine production, but due to you being asleep at the time you can't void regularly like you do during the day, causing it to build up, or in the case of someone who's incontinent to leak out. Most people with incontinence will change several times a day, but it's a bit hard to change when you're asleep :P.
    As far as I know, the body does slow down urine production at night, as your whole metabolism will slow down since you don't need all the energy for sleeping, plus even those parts of you can need some relaxation. You're right that you tend to wake up with a full bladder, but that makes sense as your body wouldn't want to wake you out of your precious sleep/relaxation period for such useless activities as peeing unless it's absolutely necessary (bladder is bursting).

As for inco night time diaper use: Compare a diaper from an 8 hour night with a diaper from 8 hours of day time, and I reckon there will be a difference: The 8 hour day time diaper will be heavier, despite the fact that you're more likely to lose moisture from sweating during the day than at night (being more active at daytime and all).

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by babbler110 View Post
    There is a hormone, arginine vasopressin, which supresses urine production in normal folks at night. If you do not produce this antidiuretic hormone then you stand a pretty good chance of wetting the bed or at least having to get up a few times a night to pee.
    Babbler knows. Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by babbler110 View Post
    There is a hormone, arginine vasopressin, which surprises urine production in normal folks at night. If you do not produce this antidiuretic hormone then you stand a pretty good chance of wetting the bed or at least having to get up a few times a night to pee. People who take The drug DAVP attempt to replace what is missing though I have heard the side effects can be nasty. With all anti diuretics my mouth turns into a desert, I get dizzy and a headache, I do not tolerate them well...
    So, Incontinent people do not posses this hormone then?

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    So, Incontinent people do not posses this hormone then?
    Some of us do, some of us don't. Those who don't produce this hormone in their body naturally tend to be very heavy night wetters. Those who do produce it will not wet as heavily at night, but they are still incontinent, they do not have control over their bladder voiding. The difference comes from being able to change soon after wetting versus being asleep. As said, it's extremely difficult to change your diaper while asleep, it's much easier to change throughout the day as needed. Additionally, you burn through fluids internally throughout the day as your body goes through the regular cycle of converting food into energy--at night that rate reduces significantly and excess fluids are processed out by the kidneys.

For me, I don't seem to produce the necessary hormone to keep me from soaking things heavily at night, but the side effects of the medications are not worth trying to keep the level of wetting controlled since I'm going to wake up wet anyway.

Wow!!... I just had to comment on this thread. The OP had a really good question and all the replies to the OP are just fantastic! *I'm actually proud and happy to see something like this instead of the "usual". It has been getting old seeing the same drama queen-IC wannabe-zero common sense Q&A banter *

About all I can add is at night (depending on the person but I will speak for myself here) more protection is needed. Thicker padding because I need the absorption to cover as much area as possible because of whatever position I'm in while sleeping. One of the worst ways to wet at night is while on my side. The coverage area is very limited for obvious reasons and excess that isn't absorbed quickly tries to escape (and usually does) from between the side tapes or over the waist. When on my back, it goes to the middle then back and the front can actually still be dry sometimes but the back would be so full it leaks from the rear waist. If on my stomach which seems to be the hardest way to wet, I leak more from the front waist area.

The hormone is a def factor and I can't add anything there. So overall the heavier protection for me is to try to catch as much as possible because I can't really control my sleeping positions and try to cover all bases so to speak. It's kind of hard to describe but the overall capacity is about the same as my evening change (daytime is usually less) but the gaps/pressure spots/etc just make it harder to contain at night.