Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 64Bit or 32Bit

Default 64Bit or 32Bit

Since 64 Bit Processors were made available to everyone since about 2005 where XP pro 64 Bit was made and considered really crap due to poor hardware support and not many 32 bit applications working well on it.

But that was 2005! 3 years on, we have made improvements, no? So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it and whether it is worth it. I am soon to re-install windows on this machine and was looking at getting a copy of Win XP 64bit. I have downloaded and got all the relevant drivers for it to work, so hopefully, I am covered under hardware support.

But you may ask, What applications are you going to use with it? They are all 32Bit so what is the point? Well, I want to check out the Dolphin Gamecube emulator, that's 64bit only and actually claims to say that it improves the performance. Not too sure about other emulators, but i may check them out.

Sure, you got 64bit Vista, But I don't want vista, I prefer XP, more lightweight and I know how to customise it the way I like. I am not ready to change to Vista, The control panel looks herendus, And all of the other features I will learn on how to configure, I don't want it really.

Also, the source engine is 64bit for HL2 TF2 etc... It just opens up a door of more opportunities, As It can run 32Bit applications aswell! And lets not forget the willy waving factor.

So I ask you all, is it worth? Will it bring me more trouble than what its worth, or shall I just risk it anyway. I got nothing to lose except time and get to play about with computers once again.

Nahh, I tried XP Pro 64-bit before on two of my machines. After a while I did get most of my hardware drivers done, all except the built-in card reader.

Then came iTunes. iTunes is Vista 64-bit only, not XP 64-bit. So, I ended up getting it to run under QTAlternative, but with huge errors and wholes. It didn't use the optical drive at all, didn't recognize it.

TeamSpeak server didn't work either. After about 5 users would connect, I'd BSOD and reboot. (Note: on both machines)

CoD4 worked nicely with it. I noticed a lot faster rendering with it. I think that's the only good that came out of it.

After getting all the 64-bit versions of software that I used, I used 64-bit for about 2 weeks. iTunes was driving me crazy, I needed my server software to work right, so I ended up reformatting and reinstalling XP 32-bit.

From what i have heard, 64bit version of XP is the best for any type of graphics spftware or rendering (such as AutoCAD, Autodesk Inventor or Autodesk revit for example). Most of these types of software are especially good on 64bit as they render much faster and overall work better. Also, there is much more content for these programs when they are installed on 64bit operating systems as there are options to install content libraries for networks.

As for actually trying to use it everyday, i would say "go for it". If u havn't got anything to lose, why not? At least u could try it and see how it goes, and if u aren't happy with it, it only takes a few minutes to downgrade to the 32bit version of XP.

I only run 64bit versions of Windows, now. 64bit Server 2003 on one server, Server 2008 64bit on another, and Vista 64 on all my desktops and my laptop. There's just..no reason to want to limit myself to such legacy code anymore, when the 64bit version's do everything the 32bit version's do and more. Why settle for less?
    All my devices work, all my 8GB of memory works, etc.

I say move on to 64-bit. I've had good experience with amd64 when I had a Sun Ultra 40 as my workstation, with dual opterons. Damn I wish I had the $5G to buy one .

Quote Originally Posted by chevre View Post
    I say move on to 64-bit. I've had good experience with amd64 when I had a Sun Ultra 40 as my workstation, with dual opterons. Damn I wish I had the $5G to buy one .
    That's no workstation, that's a bloody server, but not in a rack mount case! How did you get hold on one of those anyway?

Well, I understand that there maybe some applications that refuse to work, but all I can say is screw'em. I doubt it is many anyway. Also, there is alsorts of other proprietary software out their that is pretty much taken for granted, yet there is no 64bit support. Take Flash player for example. I'll have to lauch a 32bit browser just to go on youtube! But i hear there is a beta out, anyone know about the 64bit support on that. I am slightly sketchy on it as its a beta version, but really, I think most of the software I might be using proberbly is in beta development anyway.

After thinking it, I'll install it on my laptop first, just for convience. Usually that is my little back-up device if things go wrong, But Hopefully my desktop is still in tact, And if the worst comes and they are both down. I got a whole army of other machines around the house I can easily get ym hand on.

I am glad I got Turion64x2 rather than a intel duo now. When the Duo2 was slightly out of my budgets almost 2 years ago. But since its a Dell (It couldn't be beaten on price! by at least 40/$80 at the time) 64bit driver hunting could be fun. But I practically know all the chips used for each peripheral. So Expect me to post later tonight of either "OMFG ITS BORKZ" or "Yay! Its Ready!".

But all your input is greatly appreciated guys and gals!

That's no workstation, that's a bloody server, but not in a rack mount case! How did you get hold on one of those anyway?
    I'll give you the one I have in my closet here (which has no RAM, no CPUs)for $450.

Quote Originally Posted by UnMarth View Post
    It belonged to the CS department and was purchased by a professor who I was working with on some security research. It was supposed to be his new desktop, but he was lazy about switching, so he let me use it for the summer .

Quote Originally Posted by chevre View Post
    It belonged to the CS department and was purchased by a professor who I was working with on some security research. It was supposed to be his new desktop, but he was lazy about switching, so he let me use it for the summer .
    I suspected it was something to do with Uni, But I was thinking how awesome it would be if they had several of these in a lab for student use. But oh well, count your self lucky :P

On topic!

I installed XP 64bit on my laptop, all going well so far. My synaptics (touchpad) drivers were missing out on a key feature, as for some odd reason they decided to dump it on the latest version. Which was the middle clicking by pressing left and right simultaneously, A little googleing found that.

1 problem I have had so far, is that I put in into standby and it failed to wake up again, restarted the machine for XP saying "zOMG that was a serious error, Your graphics driver is fcuked!" Well, This has happened on the 32bit version. But I hope it doesn't happen often. I'll have a look and see.

I also managed to find the AMD "Cool 'n' Quiet" driver/software. Now It uses less power 16 to 13 watts. So I am happy about that too. Longer Battery Life FTW!

But in the device manager, There is something that is still bugging me. there is device called "Base system Device" And it has no drivers installed for it, I cannot think of what it is. However, I got all the sound, graphics, southbridge, mouse and wifi drivers installed already.

I have yet to migrate my data from my desktop yet. As I am pretty confident that it will run without any problems. So maybe some day When i buy a spindle of 100 DVDs :P. Thats just enough to back up all my por... I mean various important documents.