Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange things you've been bitten/stung by in your sleep

Default Strange things you've been bitten/stung by in your sleep

I was awoken from three hours of slumber this morning by multiple centipede bites. (My arm is still sore.) Yes in my home and in my bed. I was so exhausted, the first bite only woke me up half way. I thought I had rolled over onto a pin or something and decided I didn't care enough to actually sit up until I noticed it didn't stop hurting. Then I started feeling it in other places followed by the feeling of something crawling down my spine.

Needless to say I "flew" out of bed.

Other than spiders, scorpions (on three separate occasions I might add), and now centipedes, I don't think I've been stung/bitten by anything in my sleep.

Anyone else have interesting cases of being awoken by stinging/biting things?

A flea bite when I was recovering from a staph infection. Yeah, that was REALLY uncomfortable

A couple of years ago, it was right around tax time, I got bit by a brown recluse spider. The spider was infected with MRSA, and my hand quickly swelled up to twice it's size. After two trips to the hospital, they put a pic line in me. That's a line that goes in your arm, follows the vein and into your heart. Then I got Vancomyacin for several weeks. That sure wasn't fun.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    A couple of years ago, it was right around tax time, I got bit by a brown recluse spider. The spider was infected with MRSA, and my hand quickly swelled up to twice it's size. After two trips to the hospital, they put a pic line in me. That's a line that goes in your arm, follows the vein and into your heart. Then I got Vancomyacin for several weeks. That sure wasn't fun.
    MRSA... that's the flesh eating one, right? If so, I got that from an MMA gym that wasn't too clean, so in a sense, I feel for ya.

The worst I have gotten is just a scorpion sting. The most upsetting though was a palmetto bug crawling out of a sleeping bag I was in when sleeping over at a friend's house. For those who don't know, the palmetto bug, also known as the American cockroach are those super fast one inch long plus cockroaches you get in the southern US. Now as an adult I don't mind them since I know unlike German cockroaches they're solitary. If you see one palmetto bug it means there ain't no more around. If you see one German roach it means there's probably thousands around.

I did have a centipede crawl out of the bathtub while I was peeing once. I hate centipedes. It was ridiculously big, like 8-10 inches big.

Not sure if I have been bitten, I do sometimes wake up with weird bumps, not sure if they are hives or bites.

The worst thing I did was when I was doing community service for the local fire department, I had to pretend I was injured and lay in a field. It was cold and I accidentally laid in a pile of RED ANTS! but because of the cold I could not feel them biting me, until it was too late. What made things worse with that one was that the fake blood they used had a sugar base to it. Ants and sugar don't mix.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Egads! Another person who's crossed paths with a Brown Recluse!
    I didn't feel the bite itself, but it became septic.
    Right in the middle of my forehead!
    I saw the two bite-marks, but thought it merely a bad attack of acne, at first.
    Then the tissue became necrotic, and I started to become seriously ill. Couldn't walk, as my sense of balance was affected.
    Went through a whole series of antibiotics, which made my G.I. tract MOST uncomfortable! (first time wearing diapers!).

Damn spiders!

Wear the irregularly shaped scar to this very day, and till the end of this Life, now.

(No, I don't hate all spiders, and regularly take the ones I find indoors outside, if I can manage it)

But Recluse's, or Black Widows? Death on sight!

::STOMPS::

B.

Quote Originally Posted by Geostigma123 View Post
    MRSA... that's the flesh eating one, right? If so, I got that from an MMA gym that wasn't too clean, so in a sense, I feel for ya.
    It's not the flesh eating one, but very close. It's a staff bacteria, just like the flesh eating bacteria, and it's highly resistant to antibiotics, and very difficult to kill. The cure is almost always Vancomyacin which must be delivered intravenously. You probably had MRSA from an unclean gym. The flesh eating bacteria is very aggressive and can eat and destroy body tissue at an alarming rate. Often they have to do tissue and skin grafts. Both bacteria can be deadly.

---------- Post added at 06:46 ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bucephalus View Post
    Egads! Another person who's crossed paths with a Brown Recluse!
    I didn't feel the bite itself, but it became septic.
    Right in the middle of my forehead!
    I saw the two bite-marks, but thought it merely a bad attack of acne, at first.
    Then the tissue became necrotic, and I started to become seriously ill. Couldn't walk, as my sense of balance was affected.
    Went through a whole series of antibiotics, which made my G.I. tract MOST uncomfortable! (first time wearing diapers!).

Damn spiders!

Wear the irregularly shaped scar to this very day, and till the end of this Life, now.

(No, I don't hate all spiders, and regularly take the ones I find indoors outside, if I can manage it)

But Recluse's, or Black Widows? Death on sight!

::STOMPS::

B.
    I like the "stomp" part. Yes, my hand was quite a site and it was so swollen that I couldn't bend my fingers. This is a big problem for a musician who's major is keyboards and plays in church every Sunday. My doctor told me to keep moving my fingers through the pain otherwise I might not have any movement ever. Since you got bit by the damn Brown Recluse, you know what I'm talking about. He prescribed oxycodone which I took, and I constantly kept trying to make a fist, all day while I was at work. Imagine walking through the halls of a junior high school with a pic line in you. Eventually, all the skin peeled of my hand including a few blemishes, so that was the only upside. In a few weeks I had regained complete use of my hand, but the Brown Recluse can leave permanent holes in its victims. Oddly enough, like you, if there is a Daddy Longlegs or other friendly spider in the house, I pick him up and put him outside. My dad was Lenni Lenape Indian, and so I was taught to respect nature, but sometimes nature bites you in the ass, or the hand, or the face!

Butterfly Mage

I got bit by a brown recluse (at least I suspect it was a brown recluse. It left a big, sickly-looking hole that took a long time for new tissue to fill in) when I was 14. My dad wouldn't take me to the doctor so it took three months to heal. I worked part time as a dish washer and I used to blast the wound with sudsy water -- a lot -- and that probably kept me from getting a systemic infection or gangrene.

crazykittensmile

I once got bitten by a mouse whilst I slept.