Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mental disability of child mind could you deal with it with everday life?

Default Mental disability of child mind could you deal with it with everday life?

I was diagnosed mental disabled with mental mind of 12 years old or younger and I do not like adult thing like sex it gross me out. Reason have this problem I have epilepsy and had a really bad seizures when was 2 or 3 what cause problem in the long run mental mind ,learning and short-term memory too. So it hard for process think I get thought in my head but gone the next like cooking I forget so not aloud to.

My school reading level and math is that of secound or thirde grader I cannot work ever or move out on my own i'm stuck living with family members for the rest of my life. The baby thing is more of comfort and wear 24/7 is mental too because my brain send the signal to brain say that I need go all time so pills will not work. What been told by every docotor that deal with my brain in general thst my brain is as if Swiss cheese how they put it.

So here question if you had to live be child for the rest of your natural life how would you feel if you look in miriror at adult but know mental and however will age like one to but never mental wise?.

For me I guest, I can joke, and say I will be toys rues kid forever but in all honesty it can mostly fun in way I get to watch cartoon and play video games or coloring but true fully it can get boring sometimes.

this is how i look at it.

if you have always had the mental capacity of a child, you will be perfectly content because you never had a taste of what it feels like to be an adult

if for example, you had a mental breakdown and you snapped into a child, you will find youself longing for who you before

Here's how I view it. I'm autistic, I have the emotional capacities of a child yet I cannot stand half of what's on TV for kids today save for SpongeBob- I like beer, and I like sex too. I have an adult side and I have my way of life and I do Ok for it. I had to do it as I was forced to grow up a lot sooner than I was ready for it. I wasn't ready to be out on my own and it did cause me a lot of problems for a while until I learned how to balance both of those worlds.

Many regard me as an overgrown child. I have had to live on my own for a while, I don't have a lot of support except for friends and those in my family I know I can trust. I prefer a bit of both worlds. I likes my beer, I like sex, and I like being an overgrown child too. It gives me an excuse to browse through toy departments at stores and add certain things to certain collections. I recently added a CHP-California Highway Patrol cruiser to my collection of police cars.

To me, it's who you are. I like having the best of both worlds. My own money, my own freedom, and the abilitiy to be a child as well. For me, it's all how I handle it. I don't let a lot get to me because I don't handle that very well. I just play my cards and see what lays in front of me. I guess it all depends on the individual.

For me, my answer would be NO. I like having the best of both worlds.

WildThing121675

I've said numerous times on this forum that while I'm physically (and mostly mentally; sometimes emotions influence how I think, though) an adult, I'm emotionally a child in a lot of ways, due to past trauma. Things affect me (emotionally) the way they would a child. The problem is, as I said, I'm an adult mentally, so I can see what I'm feeling and know it's 'wrong' and try to repress it, all the while telling myself how BAD I am for feeling that way. Unlike a child, I have the power to reason and I'm expected to have more emotional maturity. I can tell myself I'm being crazy and ridiculous even while I'm feeling these (very real) emotions. It's not so good for my self esteem sometimes, as I find myself belittling myself/my emotions, or ignoring them.

It also makes me confused sometimes because I'll feel them as strongly (sometimes even more strongly) as I would 'normal' emotions; depression at losing a loved one would feel on the same level as losing a beloved stuffed animal, for example. I know one is normal and 'right' but the other feels exactly the same/sometimes worse... so I tend to err on the side of caution and get upset with myself for ANY emotions that aren't positive in case they're 'wrong'.

In short, if I was mentally a child more, perhaps I'd be happier because I'd no longer have this inner struggle between my logical 'adult' brain telling me to act my age and my inner 'little' side demanding her emotions be dealt with. If I had the choice though, between the kind of mental disability you describe (i.e. a child's mind in an adult's body) or a physical disability which made me look like a child (i.e. adult's mind in a child's body) I would choose the latter. I think for me, this is largely a state-of-mind thing; I've been brought up my whole life being encouraged to be mature, to not act 'like a baby'. It's hard to shake off those worries about being judged (and they're hardly irrational worries either), and I've conditioned myself to 'keep it hidden'. If I were physically a child, I would not fear the judgement of others so much, because all they'd see is a child (with a child's thoughts and emotions). I suppose that would be true if I were mentally a child, but then I couldn't help my friends as much, and a lot of people wouldn't understand.

I believe that was made this way for reason like see the world in way different way and emotions is I'm ok with being this way don't have regret at all The way see it was second chance by god himself I could die when was younger but didn’t so to me if meant be this way so be it. There a lot more people in world have it worry then I do in life some cannot walk, talk and other thing so I am grateful what I was giving.

If you can manage your way through it, read Flowers for Algernon. Amazing novel, and kind of reminds me of this.

If I were stuck like that, I might off myself (but that's what I think now with a perfectly sane mind, until proven otherwise). I couldn't stand being a burden on everyone around me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    If you can manage your way through it, read Flowers for Algernon. Amazing novel, and kind of reminds me of this.

If I were stuck like that, I might off myself (but that's what I think now with a perfectly sane mind, until proven otherwise). I couldn't stand being a burden on everyone around me.
    Off yourself as you say in my mind is a copout way to lost problem in life and in catholic beliefs you can't go to heaven if you do commit suicide in any form of any kind however I don't see myself as a burden to anyone I can still help around the house like clean or do something. I still do chores so I am still helping in way with my family too just in small way. It also help because I have very lovely family that stick by me no matter what happen in my life so it big help.
    Last edited by Poohbearboy; 09-Apr-2011 at 03:52.

There are so many of us who are given the circumstances in which we have to live, things that we have no control over. It's surprising how adaptive the human spirit is. It was six years ago that my wife had a diabetic collapse of her left foot, which would soon become infected with MRSA. The antibiotics used to destroy the MRSA also destroyed what was left of her kidneys. Every night I get my wife on a dialysis machine, and then continue to clean the wound on the bottom of her foot. She gets around mostly by her electric cart, though she can take a few steps. The capacity for love is what gets us through. When you have adversity, you begin to realize that which is truly important.

I always enjoy you on this site babylife. Over the years, we have gotten to know you, and appreciate your challenges. I think you have found ways to cope with life as have your parents. Humans rise to their very best when they care for others.

I learn to deal with my problems by talk to be other like you and people I know in person in my life. I try to see all good in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by babylife247 View Post
    Off yourself as you say in my mind is a copout way to lost problem in life and in catholic beliefs you can't go to heaven if you do commit suicide in any form of any kind however I don't see myself as a burden to anyone I can still help around the house like clean or do something. I still do chores so I am still helping in way with my family too just in small way. It also help because I have very lovely family that stick by me no matter what happen in my life so it big help.
    You seem very headstrong and positive which is a great thing. It appears that you don't view your current situation as an impenetrable wall but rather a challenge to overcome.

I honestly don't know how I would react in a situation similar to yours but I'm almost certain that you are doing better than I ever would.