Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The looming goverment shut down

It seems like it is going to happen, which with most of my family working for the government, it will not be a good thing (they would be non-essential staff). It could cause further issues for them as well if it is prolonged as their "busy" season has just started, and I believe much of the work is incredibly time sensitive (as well as a lot of things have to been done to properly do it). So it might mean less days off or longer hours to catch up afterwards *shrugs*

It going to shut down in like 2 hours it dem vs rep it never works out so I'm guessing 15 days+

Adding another question: Who do you think the general public will blame for a government shutdown?

Quote Originally Posted by Alphacore View Post
    Adding another question: Who do you think the general public will blame for a government shutdown?
    Dems blame Republicans and Reps blame Dems. I don't believe there is a general public when it comes to this kind of thing. But since Obama is in power, he is going to take the blunt force of this.

Even John Stewart commented about it, making fun that they couldn't reach a compromise of about 45 billion. In the big picture, there isn't much difference between 30 billion and 70 billion dollars when it come to a 3 or 4 trillion dollar budget.

Lemme get this straight? The people who are responsible for coming to a conclusion that will keep the government going are going to drop the ball because they can't get over their fucking partisan political views?

They aren't going to lose their paychecks or benefits over this when the ball is dropped. Why should they care? Most Americans have been nothing but complacent when they kept getting fucked over every time over the last couple of decades. Sure, most Americans admit that they don't trust their own government to get things done right, but very few of them are willing to make any real effort to do anything about it. Instead, they keep voting on the same two parties that have systmatically led the country to the point that it is at now, without putting any real thought into it, just going for what they think is "the lesser of two evils" most of the time.

Let's just hope the shutdown will be the wakeup call this country really needs.

Quote Originally Posted by KaworuVsDrWily View Post
    Let's just hope the shutdown will be the wakeup call this country really needs.
    This tbh.

I'm actually rooting for a shutdown, both for the wakeup factor, and also because it would be interesting to see if the general population would even notice that it was shut down. I suspect they wouldn't, at least not for the first week or so.

And noticed or not, it would definitely provide some solid insight into what *really* needs funding and what doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by irnub View Post
    And noticed or not, it would definitely provide some solid insight into what *really* needs funding and what doesn't.
    I have already read many comments claiming that some people are pissed that there won't be major cuts in Medicare and SSI/SSDI benefits during the seemingly inevitable shutdown now. I live off SSDI and I rely on Medicare (schizophrenia is a very expensive illness), and the system is fucked-up enough as it is. I suggest that people demand cutting the pay of the Congressmen who are forcing this shutdown upon us, and leaving as much as you can alone. The people who are dropping the ball don't have to suffer any negative consequences, even though they are fucking over the entire country just because they do not want to kick their infantile finger-pointing habits. Yeah, that's what it all boils down to - this country is being raped over little more than infantile finger-pointing. When politics degenerate into mere "my dick is bigger than yours" contests, this is the result.

teamaster

This is why war and evil break out when government stops.Everyone freaks out and gets angry and they want someone to control them or to control.This is why anarchy gets a bad name.A government is like a potty, it traps you to it's regulation in society and takes away your freedom and happiness