Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Protest over Quran burning turns deadly

Default Protest over Quran burning turns deadly

using huffpo just because its what I have up at the time, but you can find it basically anywhere with a website that reports International news:

Afghanistan Quran Protest Leaves Up To 20 Dead, Two U.N. Staffers Reportedly Beheaded

The question I'd like to ask, do you think the pastor's actions should be blamed for causing the deaths (either partial blame, full blame, etc.)? Why or why not?

(holding off given mine, as already had to deal with people getting all pissy about it)

Just to add, as I can't remember if that article goes into it or not, but the pastor had been warned back in August (when he was planning to do it on 9/11) it would endanger the lives of U.S. troops and personnel by the government, and again in September.

What the pastor did was inconsiderate, however, in my humble opinion, if someone burning a book (no matter how holly it is to you) is enough for you to take part in such a deadly protest, then you might want to revisit your priorities in life.

So, do I think said pastor is a bit of a douche for organizing a Quran burning? In my opinion, yup. Does he has blood on his hands? No, he does not.

I believe that the burning of any book is terrible, a book is knowledge that if is lost when burned. Burning is Qurans is worse to me because it means disgracing the religion and getting rid of a point of view. So I can understand the hatred but killing over it is going overboard so I think the pastor is ignorant and foolish but not responsible for the deaths.

The pastor was stupid, sure, but he's not to blame - the nutjobs who are willing to kill over such a trivial thing are.

Here's the crux of the matter: When you have a group of people who are known to react in an unreasonable manner to certain actions, intentionally inciting them is a stupid thing to do, but it does not make you morally responsible for whatever unreasonable reaction results from it, the key point here being unreasonable. Killing someone over burning your holy book is unreasonable. The person who burned the book might be an asshole, but he's not to blame for the killings.
    Last edited by Axiom; 02-Apr-2011 at 01:04.

Actually, from what I've read about the Quran (and its meaning to Muslims), it isn't something trivial to them. From what I've read they barely tolerate it being translated from Arabic (as to translate would be changing the words of god).

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Howl View Post
    Actually, from what I've read about the Quran (and its meaning to Muslims), it isn't something trivial to them. From what I've read they barely tolerate it being translated from Arabic (as to translate would be changing the words of god).
    Sounds like that's their problem, then. They can't honestly expect the rest of the world to put up with their absurd nonsense just because it falls under the umbrella of "religion."

I think this incident is a prime example of why taking religion too seriously is bad for society.

It might have been ill advised for the pastor to burn that book. However anyone with a copy of that book could burn it, and unless it was done in public on a display they would never even know about it. So I find their actions inexcusable, even if the pastor did instigate this unfortunate incident.

Beatles records. The death of disco Now Koran burnings. All signs of the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    What the pastor did was inconsiderate, however, in my humble opinion, if someone burning a book (no matter how holly it is to you) is enough for you to take part in such a deadly protest, then you might want to revisit your priorities in life.

So, do I think said pastor is a bit of a douche for organizing a Quran burning? In my opinion, yup. Does he has blood on his hands? No, he does not.
    Whenever I've heard about this story, I've wondered if he would be just as offend if a Muslim burned a Bible in the same manner.