Thread: Okay… Hmm Testing something curious.

Default Okay… Hmm Testing something curious.

So talk to me in any language reasonably similar and I’ll try to decipher it give using only a multilingual dictionary.
    Of course if it’s all trickery that just means I’m a non fluent polygot alternatively I really suck now anyway let’s begin.
    [yeah their are other explanations like subconscious passive knowledge of a language that I haven't identified as being a speaker of, but I kind of want to try it out for real.]
    Let us begin! :–|
    [Yes I really won't google translate more of a curiosity maybe it doesn't work out... but fun to try.]

Alot of languages I suppose, hmm most certainly not ones to distant generally or languages mistaken for isolates they would take awfully long to figure out if It was most certainly some real talent. I’m being a bit hopeful.

I-ay ave-hay n-ay ay ouse-may.

But you have to use an actual dictionary to decipher this! No previous knowledge!

Oh-ey o-sey o-ney ouse-mey
    Oh so no mouse...
    owever-hey I-ey eak-spey om-sey ig-pey atin-lay uent-fley.
    [well that doesn't test my abusrd hypothosis.]

---------- Post added 04-04-2011 at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was 03-04-2011 at 12:26 ----------

Okay so I’m pretty serious actually :›| I mean if I don't seam to be speaking to be fluently spekaing in a language like romansh or maybe dänisch after a while it really discount’s the possibility of being a gift. ‹(><)›' also if I can do something like that I want to show of. ‹(:_:)›' Even though ultimately it doesn't seam verifiable.

You might well have a knack for languages. However, having studied linguistics, I'd suggest that you won't be able to demonstrate or develop much skill simply from a concordance. In theory, you might be able to make part way between beginner and intermediate.

As much as I'd like to help, my own skill at anything other than English is essentially intermediate, due to a very limited spontaneous vocabulary and some residual issues with tense and advanced constructions (e.g., ablative of means for Latin).

crazykittensmile

Okay, I will have a go for you. I am not fluent in this language (I don't know whether you want to know the language in question, I have assumed not and so not mentioned it in English, although it is mentioned in the section of text in the language) so my grammar may not be perfect, but hopefully my spelling is good and you may at least be able to make something from it:

Wyt ti'n deall Cymraeg? Dwi'n siarad Saesneg, ond dysgu Cymraeg yn fy ysgol a nawr rydw i'n siarad fach Cymraeg. Now te, rydw i'n byw yn Lloegr, ond fy rhieni byw yn Cymru a ff byw yn Cymru fel plentyn. Rydw i'n hoffi byw yn Gymru achos rydw i'n byw ar lan y traeth, ac rydw i'n hoffi chwarae yn y mor. Yn y mis o Ebrill rydw i'n hoffi mynd ar cerdded yn y caeau achos rydw i'n edrych yr baban defaid, ac y baban defaid yn hyfryd iawn! Cymru yn bendigedig, ond, dydw i ddim yn hoffi yr tywydd, achos maen bwrw glaw a bwrw glaw a bwrw glaw drwy'r dydd. Yr tywydd yn drist! Rydw i'n hapus rydw i'n ddim yn ysmygu, achos pobl ddim ysmygu yn y tafarn neu adeiladau cyhoeddus felly mae pobl mynd allan y ysmygu, yn y glaw!

guygoodnites

Tiger,

How about this. It's pretty famous, I guess...

Wer reitet so spät durch Nacht und Wind?
    Es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind;
    Er hat den Knaben wohl in dem Arm,
    Er faßt ihn sicher, er hält ihn warm.

Good luck! Let me know if this is what you had in mind.... of course, language is more than just vocab, but grammar as well, and that is something that a dictionary will not help you with, so you may only get some of the meaning unless you can read the above, or a close relative, anyway.

Ich spreche schon Deutsch :–P Das ist meine muttersprache.
    Der Knabe muß sehr müde sein.

Wyt ti'n deall Cymraeg? Dwi'n siarad Saesneg, ond dysgu Cymraeg yn fy ysgol a nawr rydw i'n siarad fach Cymraeg. Now te, rydw i'n byw yn Lloegr, ond fy rhieni byw yn Cymru a ff byw yn Cymru fel plentyn. Rydw i'n hoffi byw yn Gymru achos rydw i'n byw ar lan y traeth, ac rydw i'n hoffi chwarae yn y mor. Yn y mis o Ebrill rydw i'n hoffi mynd ar cerdded yn y caeau achos rydw i'n edrych yr baban defaid, ac y baban defaid yn hyfryd iawn! Cymru yn bendigedig, ond, dydw i ddim yn hoffi yr tywydd, achos maen bwrw glaw a bwrw glaw a bwrw glaw drwy'r dydd. Yr tywydd yn drist! Rydw i'n hapus rydw i'n ddim yn ysmygu, achos pobl ddim ysmygu yn y tafarn neu adeiladau cyhoeddus felly mae pobl mynd allan y ysmygu, yn y glaw!
    ‹(O.O)› I have no knowledge of a welsh like language so this is going to be a-lot harder than expected. also is their anything i should not look up.

You might well have a knack for languages. However, having studied linguistics, I'd suggest that you won't be able to demonstrate or develop much skill simply from a concordance. In theory, you might be able to make part way between beginner and intermediate.

As much as I'd like to help, my own skill at anything other than English is essentially intermediate, due to a very limited spontaneous vocabulary and some residual issues with tense and advanced constructions (e.g., ablative of means for Latin).
    I’m bilingual actually. Man I’m awful at studying to be honest I need a very strict route.
    —– yeah that’s one thing

Good luck! Let me know if this is what you had in mind.... of course, language is more than just vocab, but grammar as well, and that is something that a dictionary will not help you with, so you may only get some of the meaning unless you can read the above, or a close relative, anyway
    Well what i had in mind was probably getting some context, of whats being talked about from the mood or something.

Let me be more specific about the experience,
    Yeah the expeirnece was like having a conversation like the one in welsh, but for a while in french. looking things up word for word, for a while.
    Last edited by tigerofbeestein; 06-Apr-2011 at 12:16.