Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: IQ - how seriously do you take it?

Default IQ - how seriously do you take it?

A newish member mentioned his IQ and while he seems pretty bright to me, I still don't take very seriously IQ tests and the results. What is your opinion of them?

I have little faith in IQ for many reasons; a big one is testing under time constraint. Some of us can think very well in certain ways but do so slowly. IQ testing does not cover all cognitive functions and can read falsely. I dare say it gives an indication of approximate intelligence within a particular range, but even within that range can vary with how distracted one is at the time of testing, where one is within one's circadian or other rhythms... Plus it fails to tale into account creativity, which is a very big part of intelligence.

Meh, my IQ is in the 130's, and I'm a dumbass. I don't put much faith in test scores.

Also, most online "IQ tests" are just plain silly, and don't even test for anything remotely related to a real IQ test.

Also also, intelligence is not the same as being knowledgeable, and having common sense is another thing entirely. Everyone is "smart" in their own way.

I don't necessarily care for the "number" per se, but if the person has multi meal for brains and tries to slap me under what they call "logic"', then I'm not going to go the extra mile to nicely say "are you completely stupid?!"

On the other hand I absolutely love intelligent conversation, it's mostly religion and politics but at least people tell me that I give them new things to think about. :3

It's like taking the BMI seriously. BMI is such a bad way to determine obesity that it shouldn't have ever been created.

But I do like having a high I.Q. score...

Quote Originally Posted by Descolada View Post
    Also also, intelligence is not the same as being knowledgeable, and having common sense is another thing entirely. Everyone is "smart" in their own way.
    This^

Quote Originally Posted by Taihaku View Post
    It's like taking the BMI seriously. BMI is such a bad way to determine obesity that it shouldn't have ever been created.

Lol, BMI is a rediculous load of rubbish. It was invinted in the early 1800's by a Belgian dude, for mathematical uses. It was never intended to have anything to do with medicine.

In fact, most perfectly healthy, muscular individuals will find they rank as "overweight" if they were to check their BMI.

Quote Originally Posted by Taihaku View Post

<3 BMI. I'm the only person I know under 16. ^-^

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    <3 BMI. I'm the only person I know under 16. ^-^
    The illusive Zephy! And does that mean you're like 85 lbs? Or like 3 and a half feet tall? =P

I took one they gave me in second grade or something. I think I got a 115, which is apparently just over average. That doesn't really surprise me, I guess, but I haven't taken one in ages nor would I know how to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Descolada View Post
    The illusive Zephy! And does that mean you're like 85 lbs? Or like 3 and a half feet tall? =P
    I'm about 40 lbs underweight. I'm like 7 stones. ^_^