Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I <3 Swinging!

Talking I <3 Swinging!

I love to swing. I think it started when I was a toddler... My mom would push me in my little tot-swing for what seemed like hours. Here I am in my tot-swing, looking like “Put down the camera and push me some more!” (Photo censored because posting pictures of kids under 16 is verboten on adisc, even if it's of yourself, and you're now 18+ years old.) It's probably for the best though... My tentacles, scales, horns and compound eyes might frighten the more squeamish members.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/59/meinmyswingcensored16mo.jpg

This is how I learned the phrase “One more minute!”, a phrase that's served me well through the years, and has come in useful for such things as watching TV and playing video games when I got older. When I first started saying it though, I had no concept of how long a minute was, I just knew it was a magic phrase that bought me more swing time. I seriously would swing as long as Mom would push me.

When I started to school, the swing set was always the first (and often only) thing I would play on when we would go out on the playground. If they were all occupied, I would lurk around nearby, waiting for somebody to get off so I could snatch the swing. Once or twice I stayed on the swing so long that the teacher made me get off and let someone else get on the swing. Luckily that was rare, because it really pissed me off. They also told me to stop swinging so high when I would sometimes get the swing to go above the top bar, causing the chain to go a little slack before jerking tight again on the down-swing. Swinging was serious business!

Even when I got older and out of school, I'd still swing on the porch swing at my house whenever I was relaxing outside. No matter where I am, I can spot a swing from a mile away. If there's no swing where I am, I'll build one if I can. When my parents bought their lake house, the first thing I did (even before I went swimming or fishing) was build a rope swing in the giant oak tree growing in the middle of the yard. (1st)

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/6601/giantswing.jpg

Well, that was alright for a few years, but after a while, I was craving something a little bigger, and so I built the 2nd swing. It's attached to a branch that's 36 feet off the ground. I built it with 3/8 inch steel cable and heavy duty steel hardware. It took four levels of scaffolding and an extension ladder. I'm telling you, when I build a swing, I build a swing!

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/716/swingbackwide.jpg

When you stand on top of the rear retaining wall and swing off, it almost feels like you're flying away! The swing arcs 30 to 40 feet; so you really cover some distance. Like I said, swinging is serious business!

I'll pretty sure I'll keep swinging until the day I die. What about you all? Is there anything you liked to do as a baby/toddler/small child that you still really enjoy to this day (that's not inherently childish)? Share it here!
    Last edited by HAL; 31-Mar-2011 at 08:01.

Have to admit, when I'm in the mood for it, I quite happily jump on a nearby swing (.. this is generally when I'm out gallivanting around in the middle of the night, enjoying what various organic chemists have contributed to society) and go for broke. Magnificent fun! If i had a tree as tall as that, I'd probably do the same.

on the really really big swing, how do you stop when you really get going? I imagine pumping hard and getting a huge full ark going then it takes like 30 min to be able to stop. lol good way to trap a younger sibling

This was pleasantly not the "swinging" I was expecting lol.

I always enjoyed the swing as well. The higher the better... and jumping out of them at the height of the arc. As you said, feels like floating/flying.

We'd have contests to see how high or how far you could jump from the swing. I always enjoyed that sort of thing. I'd say being launched into the air in general... even in high school, while I/we didn't go on the swings much, we'd have jumping contests. Like you'd start with a group of people and jump over folding chairs. If you busted your ass, you were "out" and if not, once everyone had jumped, we'd add another chair. This would continue till there was either one person was left or until the last person fell Stupid, but fun.

EmLamby

OH HELL YEAH-
    I mean, oh indeed, yes, quite!~ <3

Swinging is THE best feature of any park. I'm too scared to jump when I'm high up, but swinging by itself is so fun! >w<

Swings are Love. I hate that they started making swings with weird hardware around here. It pinches! Sometimes I find a nice seat and swing for a while, but most of the time they have weird metal mesh seats that hurt.

I got a kind of phobia of swings in general that I've thankfully gotten over now. Someone at my elementary school back in the day thought it would be just brilliant to let the fifth graders out with the second graders. Two fifth graders decided that they wanted the swing I was in so they yanked me out and bounced me on the ground. >:|

It's one of those things that I'll take care of if I ever get time travel technology.

*Poof*
    *Grab bullies and bounce them off the ground a few times*
    "Take that!"
    *Kick them a few times for good measure*
    *Poof*

Oh yes...it will be magnificent.

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleWoozle View Post
    Swings are Love. I hate that they started making swings with weird hardware around here. It pinches! Sometimes I find a nice seat and swing for a while, but most of the time they have weird metal mesh seats that hurt.

I got a kind of phobia of swings in general that I've thankfully gotten over now. Someone at my elementary school back in the day thought it would be just brilliant to let the fifth graders out with the second graders. Two fifth graders decided that they wanted the swing I was in so they yanked me out and bounced me on the ground. >:|

It's one of those things that I'll take care of if I ever get time travel technology.

*Poof*
    *Grab bullies and bounce them off the ground a few times*
    "Take that!"
    *Kick them a few times for good measure*
    *Poof*

Oh yes...it will be magnificent.
    Hmm... how about... you go further into the past when they're in second grand and you offer to push them on the swing... really helpful... then push them higher and higher until they fall out.

Then they'll have a phobia of swings which will prevent them from pushing you out of yours.

Mental trauma is like the icing on the revenge cake you know.

In my novel, and have one of my important characters swinging, and while he's swinging, he's invaded by the spirit which haunts the town. The spirit takes delight in getting into his head and regressing him.

In my world, I loved to swing as a kid, and I can remember my first swing vividly. I think my parents took a lot of enjoyment in buying it and watching me swing for hours every day. I would get on the swing and sing. Later, I would become a professional musician, and I must admit, I still love to swing.

My parents also had one of those gliders on our porch, and during the summer, I would go out there and glide back and forth. The rocking motion has always been a comfort. No wonder mothers rock babies in a cradle.