Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Costs: Diapers Vs Cigaretts

Cherub

Default Costs: Diapers Vs Cigaretts

I was thinking today about the costs associated with certain habits some people have. The most common habit people might think of would be smoking. So I did a little research and found that the average smoker goes through a pack of cigs a day. The average cost of a pack of smokes in the US is around $5. If we do the math out to the end we find that:
    $5 per pack per day (average smoker) times 7 days a week = $35 per week. $35 a week times 4 weeks a month = $140 per month.

Now with diapers (pending on your brand of choice) the average 24/7 wearer goes through 3 diapers a day. So if we do the math out to the end we find that:

WalGreen Certainty diapers XL 28 count @ $20 per pack = 71 cents per diaper
    3 diapers per day times 71 cents per diaper = $2.13 per day.
    $2.13 a day times 7 days a week = $14.91 per week.
    $14.91 per week = $59.64 per month

AbriForm X-plus XL 12 count pack @ $22.95 per pack = $1.91 per diaper.
    3 diapers per day times $1.91 per diaper = $5.73 per day
    $5.73 per day times 7 days a week = $40.11 per week
    $40.11 per week time 4 weeks a month = $160.44 per month

Dry 24/7ís size L 18count pack @$31.95 per pack = $1.77 per diaper
    3 diapers per day times $1.77 per diaper = $5.31 per day
    $5.31 per day times 7 days a week = $37.17 per week
    $37.17 per week times 4 weeks a month = $148.68 per month

Now I know that not everyone on here wears 24/7, so these figures might not apply to everyone. Like me for example, I donít wear 24/7 all the time, so those figures wouldnít be accurate for me either. So, for me, my diaper habit is FAR cheaper that the cost of an average smoker and thereby quite affordable. But I thought it was interesting to draw a comparison and share my findings.

Well this will date me. When I was a kid, cigarettes were 35 cents a pack, and you could walk to a gas station and buy them from a machine. I had my first cigarette when I was 8 years old. No wonder it was hard to quit when I got married.

This is good research here!

Since my grandfather is a pack-a-day smoker, I have been wondering about this. I know smoking is an expensive habit, but then I got to thinking about the money I had spent over the years on diapers. I never looked into figuring it out though.

Well at least with diapers, you don't have to worry about cancer.

Cheaper and healthier. I'd rather spend my money on a pack/case of diapers than a pack/carton of cigs any day.
    And speaking of habits; the difference between the cost of Hard drugs and diapers would be phenominal. O.o

GoodJams1

Diapers are of very minimum harm to others as well.

5 dollars a day lol..I know its an average but I wish I was paying 5 dollars a pack. Here, 3 dollars is added for taxes making the average pack of smokes run 7 to 8 dollars for cheap brands and close to 10 for the best brands. We also pay some of the highest prices for other things like gasoline also due to taxes....

Quote Originally Posted by GoodJams1 View Post
    Diapers are of very minimum harm to others as well.
    Unless, like me, you pelt small children and the elderly with your used diapers.

Cheese and crackers! I never stopped to consider whether wearing 24/7 was comparable to smoking. Well, my wallet's sure glad that I don't do either.

Huh...never thought about it like that, but if yr ever tryin to decide between a $20 pack of diapers or a $5 pack of cigs, in the end $20 is ALOT cheaper and healthier than smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Chanch0 View Post
    Huh...never thought about it like that, but if yr ever tryin to decide between a $20 pack of diapers or a $5 pack of cigs, in the end $20 is ALOT cheaper and healthier than smoking.
    I agree.