Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire in the Kitchen!

Default Fire in the Kitchen!

Last night my stove caught on fire. Grease fire. Don't worry, I put it out before it got too bad. I just need to replace the sheetrock thank god but my stove doesn't work any more and I don't have the money for a new one.
    what should I do?

[edited for clarity]

Is it a good idea to microwave this? BOOMM (YouTube joke never mind)

But seriously you say your stove doesn't work why not buy one of those little mini camp cookers you know the little canister things until you get a replacement just use one of them. They're real useful for cooking small things but big things for like your wife and all it won't be suitable.
    Also, I heard the weathers not bad in America at the moment why not have a BBQ?

Although I would just recommend saving up and buying a new one. Like not a freaking $5000 Bosch oven or something shiny like that just a real cheap one.

As an alternative to purchasing one new...you could...

A: Rent one from a rent-to-own store. (Rent-A-Center, Aarons, etc) They usually have very reasonable payments. You wouldn't even have to purchase it, just rent it until you could afford to purchase one outright.

B: Check with the appliance stores about purchasing a used stove or a 'scratch and dent'. Some places used to sell the old, still working, appliances they took from people's homes. The scratch and dent items are sometimes brand new but have a superficial defect like a dent or something that won't change how it works. They also sometimes have floor models marked down to get rid of them so they can get the newer versions in.

C: Check someplace like Craigslist. Sometimes people sell their old stoves on there for cheap just to get rid of them.

Here's another idea. Is your stove fixable? What part of it isn't working? If the whole thing is burned up then I would follow CuddleWoozle's advice and check craigslist. If it is just that some of the heating elements aren't working, those are usually easy to replace. There are tons of internet sites that show you how to fix stuff, you just need to look for it. YouTube is a great resource for learning how to fix things.

As a general rule, I always try to fix my things before I throw them away. If I can't fix it, I'll look at getting a new one but you'd be surprised at how often things are fixable.

I have a Max Burton portable induction cook top I paid $70 for and it plugs into the wall. It makes a great extra burner for when you need one and I would reccomend getting one if you are needing somethnig for the short while. It does require that you have pots and pans that will hold a magnet in order to work.

Quote Originally Posted by happydl View Post
    Here's another idea. Is your stove fixable? What part of it isn't working? If the whole thing is burned up then I would follow CuddleWoozle's advice and check craigslist. If it is just that some of the heating elements aren't working, those are usually easy to replace.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, if it's just an element that is broken you can actually pull it out and take it to a hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot and purchase a new one that will pop right in. I forgot about that.

on the used, you can also check out thrift stores or non-profits(ARCs etc.) for a cheap used stove. They are usually quite old, but some will work well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleWoozle View Post
    As an alternative to purchasing one new...you could...

A: Rent one from a rent-to-own store. (Rent-A-Center, Aarons, etc) They usually have very reasonable payments. You wouldn't even have to purchase it, just rent it until you could afford to purchase one outright.
    those places interests rates are crazy high. Like credit cards, it's likely best to pay it off in full.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    those places interests rates are crazy high. Like credit cards, it's likely best to pay it off in full.
    Unless you only need the item for a short while. That's why I said 'You wouldn't even have to purchase it, just rent it until you could afford to purchase one outright.' You usually end up paying either one and a half times as much to twice as much for an item. It's usually better to just save up and buy one, but if you really needed it they would let you rent it for a couple of weeks.