Thread: HlpPlz! D: Graphics card acting up..

Default HlpPlz! D: Graphics card acting up..

So, I just did a clean install of Windows Vista 32-bit Premium and I installed all of my drivers; however, my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Graphics card isn't showing up. And when I go into my device manager it has the yellow arrow by "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)"....

Help me. D'; I've tried installing the latest drivers. Nothing. I've tried Driver Sweeper. Nothing.

• make sure the card is properly seated
    • you might have to install the software that came with your graphics card
    • you might have to disable onboard graphics in CMOS

The last graphics card I bought was a Radeon HD 4670 on my old XP computer. That graphics card came with a CD that I was instructed to run that would install the software that came along with it (like the ATI Catalyst Control Center). If you can't find that disk, I'm sure you can download the software on ATI's support page.

Well, I did install the ATi Catalyst Control Center and the message still shows up. I went to check if the card was properly seated and learned that it was integrated (stupid me.. o.0) Anyway, I feel stupid but how would I do the third thing? :<

Ignore that third option for now because an integrated graphics card is the same thing as an on-board graphics card. Because if that gets disabled, you won't see anything on your screen at all.

You could reboot the computer and access the BIOS screen to check if anything appears abnormal there. Usually you do that by restarting the computer and before the operating system loads, you hit a certain key like F8 (it's one of the F keys at the top of your keyboard) to access the system BIOS. You have to be quick when hitting that certain key though. Some computers only give you three seconds to do this. Once your BIOS screen comes up look for something under "Display" and see what it says there.

In Device Manager does it give any information on the Video Controller or anything under it? For instance, is there a question mark that you can click to get more info? Can you right-click on it and access its properties?

Other than that, the only thing else I can think of is to make sure you downloaded the right driver. Make sure you chose the right Windows operating system and 32-bit version if your OS is indeed 32-bit.

I'm almost positive the problem is that I'm running a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit System.. >___<;;;;;;

---------- Post added at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

Okay, so what I'm going to try to do is download the 64-bit drivers for the card. I'll be back with results in a few. :| Thanks for the help so far though.

---------- Post added at 23:13 ---------- Previous post was at 22:57 ----------

And.... nothing.... DX

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    I'm almost positive the problem is that I'm running a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit System.. >___<;;;;;;

---------- Post added at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

Okay, so what I'm going to try to do is download the 64-bit drivers for the card. I'll be back with results in a few. :| Thanks for the help so far though.
    No problem. If you did install the wrong version of your OS, installing different versions of your drivers might not help at all. For instance, trying to implement a 64-bit driver to your graphics card when you're still running your 32-bit OS just won't work. In order for it to work, you would have to install Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit in your case.

fkd;jfkewl;, Well. This stinks. -__- I'll lend a copy of 64-bit from a friend and see what happens. Thank-you for your time.

You're welcome. Here's a good article that might help you out: 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions
    Last edited by bomb851; 24-Mar-2011 at 03:42. Reason: spelling