Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maturity!

Default Maturity!

Maturity is a very odd thing. Some people have it, some don't!

Like myself. I see myself older than the ripe age of seventeen. I really feel like I don't fit in with my generation at all! I hate chatspeak and the lack of spelling and grammar! :P

Others see their selves younger than they are. Now I'm not talking temporary young, like some/most of the TB and AB's on here [Moi!], I'm talking about young/immature as in: always getting into fights, not showing acts of kindness, being downright impolite to others, etc. [You catch my drift. ]

I wanted the opinion of the others members on here. What age group do you feel that you fit into? What is your opinion on maturity/immaturity in general?

-Sugarplum

I would like to say I am mature, but I'm really not. I tend to take things that other people say way too personally, even when I know I have no right to. I am improving, I am working on my spiritual growth, and I have to keep remembering - progress, not perfection.

Then again, I don't think there is a person on the planet that does not have a streak of immaturity within them. Not one.

I completely understand what you mean. Everyone has a bit of immaturity. But I try to keep it around ones I'm close to. Notice how I said TRY. :P

I would say I'm more mature than most of my peers. I don't party. I don't drink. I don't do drugs. I'm not in debt. I live on my own. I am practically never late, and when I am I have a very good excuse. I try to be considerate of others, even when they are rude.

I've been told that I have an "old soul" and that I've always been mature for my age, even as a kid. I don't know that I have an old soul, but I know that, for instance, during the bulk of my 20s, I've been out of college (got my degree after 4 years, never changed majors during undergrad) and working at a Fortune 500 company. During my 20s I came out of the gay and diaper closets, met a brilliant man, and bought a house.

Some of my friends that are my age, on the other hand, have done decidedly less mature things. A number of them still live with their parents in their late 20s, having never even lived on their own. Most of them took well into their mid-20s to finish undergrad, and only one has actually acted on his plan to go to grad school. The others either stopped talking about it entirely or are sitting around playing WoW instead of doing anything useful like getting jobs or education.

Am I mature for my age? I dunno, it's hard to say. When I was a kid I am pretty sure I was much more mature than my peers. Now, who can say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely act a lot older than my age, since I was like 14. My parents had split up and I kind of had to step up and become the man of the house, I guess it forced me to emotionally mature early.

I suppose I make up for it in other ways though.

Hmm, I am 27 but I think I act like 18-20 years old, but I have some maturity in me too. I don't party, drink, smoke etc either. However, I love to tell sick jokes to others and make other laugh, and I am well known for that from my high school years lol. Also I typically dress like 17-20 years old too since I love cute clothes, rather than mature ones. I only wear mature ones for interviews, for jobs (if necessary), that's it. My fiancee, in other hand, she's 31, but act very mature... sorta like 35+! Regardless, we usually manage to get along very well. =)

Quote Originally Posted by BruanHam View Post
    I don't party. I don't drink.
    I don't think that these have anything to do with maturity, old people drink but does that make them immature? I drink, just not to the excess that idiot teens on the street do; that's where the immaturity is. And as for partying, well everyone loves a party but it's the immature people that use it as an excuse to tear the place apart because they find it funny.

I guess it depends on what you compare yourself to.

Compared to Bill Gates or Donald Trump, for example, I am not so mature.

Compared to many of my peers, I am very mature. I might list a few traits to give you an idea of how to compare me to others:

• I'm already out to many of my friends and family about my sexuality
    • I'm out to my boyfriend about AB/DLism, and he has still lovingly embraced me
    • my boyfriend is out to me on a couple of his kinks, and I still lovingly embrace him
    • I'm finally starting to forgive my past and find satisfaction is the present
    • I've finally began to embrace my vulnerabilities and turn them into strengths
    • I've finally made a choice regarding which engineering field to study
    • I work and research 10+ hours per week, while being a full-time student
    • I rarely drink, have not had drugs, have not smoked, etc...and even when I do drink, I do so moderately and responsibly
    • I am generally responsible
    • I can be talkative at times--but I am learning to listen better
    • And the list goes on-and-on

I am mature in a lot of ways, but I also have stuff to work on too. For example, I don't exercise regularly--and even though I eat healthy and look great, I understand how important it is to have exercise in my life. Appearance doesn't matter; I value health a lot more. Hmmm...and sometimes, I still pass a few white lies here and there--then again, I'm also highly self-critical. A big one for me to work on is just working on accepting things as they are, when conditions allow. (I wouldn't slack off on engineering and testing a plane engine, for example, now would I?)

Meh....decide what you will, but unless you are hiring me to work for you I don't care too much what you think of me. If anything, it's (hopefully) constructive criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten View Post
    I don't think that these have anything to do with maturity, old people drink but does that make them immature? I drink, just not to the excess that idiot teens on the street do; that's where the immaturity is. And as for partying, well everyone loves a party but it's the immature people that use it as an excuse to tear the place apart because they find it funny.
    I don't think that partying, drinking, or even doing drugs are immature in and of themselves, but the excess that many people take them to is. Especially when it interferes with the rest of your life. Unfortunately most people I know who partake in such activities let them harm their lives.