Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate modern cop shows- Too much into scientific proceedure and not into foot patrol.

Default I hate modern cop shows- Too much into scientific proceedure and not into foot patrol.

When I was a kid, we had shows like T.J. Hooker, Hill Street Blues, CHiPs, and so forth. Now, we have all these detective shows which are all a clone of one show after another.

Whatever happened to showing what a uniformed cop does on a job? Some of my best friends are uniformed police officers. What happened with shows that showed what a uniformed cop did? What's with all these CSI, NCIS and Law & Order clones? Law & Order was good when it came out- 21 years ago! GOD! What I wouldn't give for one freeway chase ala CHiPs.

Sorry, but modern cop shows are REALLY starting to piss me off. At least Southland gets it right. Southland- a victim of that so-called Jay Leno Show experiment by NBC- found a new home and they got the genre right! SCREW CSI, NCIS, and the Law & Order CLONES! Let's have shows about cops done right.

Shit, I could write one in my sleep and I have. I wrote a pilot about the LAPD, CHP and even the LA County Fire Department that will probably never see air time because networks are too damn cheap. I have more respect for uniformed cops than I do detectives. Let's see more Hill Street Blues than dectective shows that are too scientific for me.

At least Detroit 1-8-7 gets it partially right in Detroit. UGH

WildThing121675

the scientific shows are so incredibly b.s. though, its nowhere near realistic xD. Law and Order isn't that scientific though (and at one time, seemed to be the only one that actually spent more time questioning people then action and forensic crap, but they seem to be moving more towards the unrealistic action stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by WildThing121675 View Post
    When I was a kid, we had shows like T.J. Hooker, Hill Street Blues, CHiPs, and so forth. Now, we have all these detective shows which are all a clone of one show after another.

Whatever happened to showing what a uniformed cop does on a job? Some of my best friends are uniformed police officers. What happened with shows that showed what a uniformed cop did? What's with all these CSI, NCIS and Law & Order clones? Law & Order was good when it came out- 21 years ago! GOD! What I wouldn't give for one freeway chase ala CHiPs.

Sorry, but modern cop shows are REALLY starting to piss me off. At least Southland gets it right. Southland- a victim of that so-called Jay Leno Show experiment by NBC- found a new home and they got the genre right! SCREW CSI, NCIS, and the Law & Order CLONES! Let's have shows about cops done right.

Shit, I could write one in my sleep and I have. I wrote a pilot about the LAPD, CHP and even the LA County Fire Department that will probably never see air time because networks are too damn cheap. I have more respect for uniformed cops than I do detectives. Let's see more Hill Street Blues than dectective shows that are too scientific for me.

At least Detroit 1-8-7 gets it partially right in Detroit. UGH

WildThing121675
    Joe Sixpack--who is a real, actual, unsung hero--isn't what we aspire to any longer. That's my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Howl View Post
    the scientific shows are so incredibly b.s. though, its nowhere near realistic xD. Law and Order isn't that scientific though (and at one time, seemed to be the only one that actually spent more time questioning people then action and forensic crap, but they seem to be moving more towards the unrealistic action stuff).
    Indeed. Touring crime labs some years ago (when the CSI craze was taking off), I was struck by just how totally wrong the shows had it (because CSI was new, not because I didn't know about bench sciences)--and was also struck by the venom with which bench scientists (chemists, microbiologists, etc.) talked about their TV analogues.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    and was also struck by the venom with which bench scientists (chemists, microbiologists, etc.) talked about their TV analogues.
    Had a former detective (well 2 former detectives) in a investigation class, and they both seemed to have similar venom about a lot of those shows (not as much on the science part though, as the detective stuff that was quite b.s. compared to the real work they do). Can't blame them, not even in the field, and I still want to scream at my T.V. everytime I see someone in one of the shows handling something without gloves. Drives me insane.

The one bit I liked about Law & Order is that the court bits where, in the words of a prosecutor I know, "realistic if not quite exagerated".

Sent from my iPhone

Law and Order is good (the original series, not the shitty spinoffs). Everything else blows.

The only cop show I've seen that I absolutely loved was HBO's The Wire.

The Shield was alright, if one was looking for sheer trash that had no aspirations of being anything but trash.

Law & Order is trash that tries to put on a serious face, thus it is an insult to my intelligence. Then again, the only L&O series I ever sat through an entire episode of was SVU - and I hated every second of it.

Butterfly Mage

I work for the court system, so I can say shows like "Bones" (and related homocide drama clones) are completely BS. Our computers are *old* and generally in poor repair. Our vehicles are old and in poor repair. It takes *WEEKS* to get evidence analyzed by a lab, not minutes.

Something tells me that there are a lot of people in this thread that will hate the video game, Condemned - Criminal Origins. Essentially, forensics in that game are done by pointing a laser at the evidence, and that is sufficient enough to electronically transfer the evidence to the lab directly from the crime site, who usually gets the results back to you within a couple of minutes.

It would be pretty fucking sweet if it were that easy, though.

Butterfly Mage

Quote Originally Posted by KaworuVsDrWily View Post
    Something tells me that there are a lot of people in this thread that will hate the video game, Condemned - Criminal Origins. Essentially, forensics in that game are done by pointing a laser at the evidence, and that is sufficient enough to electronically transfer the evidence to the lab directly from the crime site, who usually gets the results back to you within a couple of minutes.

It would be pretty fucking sweet if it were that easy, though.
    "Condemned" basically used 24th century forensics. That would have been fine if not for the fact that the game is set in either the present day or the near future.