Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to wear Diapers in Public - The Statik Solution

Default How to wear Diapers in Public - The Statik Solution

I realize there's a lot of feelings of self conscious when it comes to wearing in public and that's my main driving force behind writing this article. To acknowledge all your doubts and help you realize you really have nothing to fear but fear itself. Yes, I went there.

So without further ado ...

How to wear Diapers in Public - The Statik Solution

You're not alone -

Taking the step out into the open world with your deepest secret tucked away under your clothing is a big step. It helps to have confidence in who you already are but I realize it takes time to get to that point. If you are one of those people who carries a attitude of not caring what others think then congrats to you as you probably can skip right to the end of this article or stop reading all together.

If you're not though, allow me to echo what thoughts may already be circling in your head.

"Someone's gonna find out."
    "What if my shirt rides up?"
    "What if a sudden gust of wind decides to be my worse enemy for a day?"
    "Can they hear all that crinkling? I can, so surely they must to!"
    "Is that baby smell their talking about directed at me?"
    "What if mutant space aliens come down upon Earth with clothes zapping laser guns that could expose my secret to everyone?"

With proper knowledge of what to expect and how to prevent it such thoughts won't even exist for you anymore. If aliens come though, well you're on your own.

Cover Ups -

Noise, Noise, Noise - There's no denying that the sound of a disposable diaper has a distinctive crinkle factor that is far from silent. Of course you have to remember the majority of people still wouldn't know what the sound is when they heard it. If you're still not convinced though, I have come up with some simple solutions that have worked fail proof for me for many years.

*Pocket change - Keep some coins in your pocket when you plan to wear. The sound of all the jingling will act as a cover and no one around you will be any wiser. Beware of any furniture that has a habit of emptying your pockets for what their worth. My car is especially known for having a appetite for coins.

*Keys - My favorite solution of the two is simple keys. I keep a key clip attached to my belt loop which not only kills any diaper noise but also makes sure I don't lose my keys. We wouldn't want either to happen to us so it's a win win situation all around.

Alternatives to the above - What happens if you find yourself in a situation where it's not practical to be carrying either of the two? There's a solution to everything. If you're in a living situation where the people around you don't know of your wearing but you insist on wearing anyway I do have some tricks that have worked for me.

*Headphones - Wear em' and crank em'! Very self explanatory when you have noise battling noise. If anyone asks just say you're really into the song but you didn't want to be rude wearing the headphones over your ears when around others. This will allow you to get to any point A to B destinations you had in mind when carrying about at home. There's always the speaker option too.

*Cloth-like Disposables - Personally I'm against these type of disposables because while they be discreet I find their horrible for quality. I rather have a diaper that is noisy and serves it purpose over a diaper that is known to leak. In this case I would say "to each their own" but the option should be noted.

*Plastic Pants - I know my Papa RC (Raccoon) would want me to include this so here it is. Believe it not plastic pants not only help protect you from leaks but they can act as a sound barrier as well. Take proper care of them though or they will go brittle which causes them be audible and not serving up to their full function.

*Intentional Noise - This might cause suspicion but at the same time it can work in your favor as well. I've noticed how when someone is upset they have a habit of doing things in a louder sense. Slamming things down on counter tops or purposely opening/closing doors of all kinds in a loud manner is just the start of a long list. Think of it like a mini temper tantrum only this time you actually get what you want.

*Coughing - When all else fails and you find yourself trapped with nothing at your disposal (hehe get it?) to use there's only one thing left to do. Basic Instinct. Cough.

Bulk of the Matter -

How much is too much exactly? This answer comes down to personal preference so there is no simple answer. It's important to figure out these factors to determine what you should wear or if you should not wear all together.

"Where am I going?"
    "What will I be doing there?"
    "How long will I be there?"
    "What will the weather be like?"

Go with common sense and ask yourself these important questions when getting ready for your day. If you have to second guess yourself then you probably shouldn't be wearing in the first place. Be Practical.

What's that smell? -

Hopefully it's not you. My first advice would be to change right away and on the subject of changing don't forget to CHANGE OFTEN. Nothing gives you away faster than a sprung leak or the famous under cheeks wet spots. If you find yourself in a predicament where you can't change to rid of the smell there are some simple solutions.

*Deodorant - As Bloo would say, "Got BO?, Get DEO!" The same can be said of diaper stench but it's not quite as effective as the next product in my list.

*Cologne/Perfume - Effective no doubt. The only problem is you will smell like a skunk on a cheap date.

Messing? - I don't recommend doing this when out in public. I find it's very disrespectful to others around you who should not have to put up with it. If you're incontinent though that's a different situation all together. To be honest it wouldn't be fair to you for me to comment on this subject because I don't do it myself. I know there are some pills out there that help with fecal odors but I'm no doctor so my advice would be to either google it or consult your physician.

Changing -

Where to? How to? I know these are a few of the questions that cross our minds when finding a place to change in public. Just the thought of it I'm sure gives you a rush. Don't worry though, it's really easier than you're taking it for.

*Where? - Restrooms are ideal when it comes to this but with so many to choose from which serve their purpose best? Believe it or not, gas stations. The smaller the better even. I usually find that the smaller gas stations have their restroom door located outside which requires a key to use. This means complete privacy is all yours with the safety of a lock. Just try to be respectful of others who may be waiting outside for you to finish up. Family restrooms are also becoming more popular nowadays but unfortunately their not wide spread through out all the everyday businesses. If you're going to somewhere like Disney, the mall, or a Science center you should have no problem finding one. Best advice would be to call ahead so you can plan it out before hand.

*How to? - Once you do find yourself in that bathroom stall or even alone in the bathroom all together your still left with the task of properly diapering yourself. Don't forget to take the old one of first though. I highly recommend you don't use the floor, people can't aim. Get in the practice of leaning against a wall to position the diaper in place. It's quick and effective. Remember practice makes perfect.

*Not alone? - I know the sounds of a disposable diaper tape being ripped off can be quite loud. Speaking of loud you can try hitting the button on the air drier on your way in as you make your way to a stall to go about your business. Another trick to try is flushing the toilet and ripping the tapes off very fast. Flush again if you failed to get them all the first time. Scissors also work very well in this case since you won't have to rip any tapes to begin with. Just make you have spare plastic baggies in your bag handy so you can conceal your deed and properly dispose of it when the coast is clear to do so.

Clothing -

Baggy works best. Don't wear t-shirts that have a tendency to ride up because their too short in length. If you insist on wearing clothing like that anyway a onesie under your clothing will help. It will help cover the diaper on both ends and be identified as a simple under shirt. I also find that wearing boxers over the diaper helps with slipping issues along the waistline. I should also mention it helps with noise reduction as well since it's more clothing pressing against the plastic. Track pants are great for covering noise as well so you might to consider them. Do you think your padding is too thick? Wear a hoodie or article of clothing that has a tendency to flair out when being worn. Still not working for you? Try reducing your diaper layers next time.

*Special mention - Don't keep pulling your shirt down! Most people wearing do this subconsciously or consciously, and it only draws attention to you, unless you are in fact Jean Luc Picard.I use to be very guilty of this especially so I have no problem backing this up with full Statik approval. Remember to wear clothes you would normally wear. If you don't normally wear track pants, then don't wear track pants just to wear a diaper. People that know you will notice and wonder what's up. The whole trick is to draw attention away from yourself and act like it's just another day. As we say at my work place "Another day, another dollar".

Final Thoughts -

You may think the whole world already knows but they don't. No one even cares for the most part but I understand if you're still scared regardless. If anyone ever did catch you in public you be surprised to find out for yourself that their probably more embarrassed than you. If by any chance someone tries to mock you, just tell them your incontinent. What can they possibly say after that? Nothing. Actually I take that back, an apology would be nice.

I hope all the grounds I have covered here have helped you bestow some faith in yourself that you can do this. There's really nothing left to say on this matter so I will simply leave you to it. I'm a PM away if you have any questions. Good luck.

(This post is in the process of being proofread for any grammar issues but is being posted early for any critique that you may or may not have for me to take into consideration.)
    Last edited by statik; 23-Mar-2011 at 21:27.

Booger

This is an excellent article. I know I wear in public on occasion and have the same fears. This will definitely help me if I decide to do it again, because the rise I get from wearing outside of home is the thought of people never knowing, like a big secret mission. Thanks!

Brilliant.

A couple of thoughts on the noise issue:

If you wear Abri-Form Air Plus or some other sort of cloth-type disposable, you're going to crinkle a lot less.

If you wear noisy pants (you know those track pants that are practically plastic) no one will ever notice the crinkle.

For changing in a public restroom: If you're seriously concerned about making noise changing, bump the blow-dryer button on your way in "by accident"

My personal opinion on public restrooms is that eleven times out of ten, no one cares. No one is going to think twice about noises they hear in a bathroom. If they do, they won't know what they're hearing, if they do... they can't even see you!
    Worst case scenario there is a total stranger *guesses* that you wear diapers, but can only identify you by what your shoes look like.
    In summation, bathrooms are pretty safe to just change up and don't worry about the noise, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Descolada View Post
    Brilliant.

A couple of thoughts on the noise issue:

If you wear Abri-Form Air Plus or some other sort of cloth-type disposable, you're going to crinkle a lot less.

If you wear noisy pants (you know those track pants that are practically plastic) no one will ever notice the crinkle.

For changing in a public restroom: If you're seriously concerned about making noise changing, bump the blow-dryer button on your way in "by accident"

My personal opinion on public restrooms is that eleven times out of ten, no one cares. No one is going to think twice about noises they hear in a bathroom. If they do, they won't know what they're hearing, if they do... they can't even see you!
    Worst case scenario there is a total stranger *guesses* that you wear diapers, but can only identify you by what your shoes look like.
    In summation, bathrooms are pretty safe to just change up and don't worry about the noise, if you ask me.
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention since I didn't even think to include cloth like covers for disposable. I don't wear them myself so the thought never occurred to me till now. What can I say, I love the crinkle.

You have some good ideas and if you don't mind I would like to work them into the final version.

Very well written article, I feel like a lot of people who hadn't already started to rationalize wearing in public will take a lot away from it. =D

I typically wear a hoodie and track warmup pants over shorts anyways so it's really easy for me to hide wearing under all those layers =p

Quote Originally Posted by statik View Post
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention since I didn't even think to include cloth like covers for disposable. I don't wear them myself so the thought never occurred to me till now. What can I say, I love the crinkle.

You have some good ideas and if you don't mind I would like to work them into the final version.
    Feel free, I'm an open book.

While I'm at it...
    1) To expand on your headphone idea, if you have an ipod/phone or something like that, you can just put the music on speaker and put it on your pocket, and viola, great cover up. (I use that tactic around my roommates)

2) To address the practicality issue in the "bulk of the matter" part, I would say that Depend or other pull ups are definitely your best bet for low-profile. Yeah, they suck, but they're not very bulky, they make hardly any noise, and they're WAY easier to change in a public restroom! Slip it off, slip on a new one, no tapes! ;D

3) You forgot to address the Attack of the Pants Snatchers! I recon your best bet there would be cabbage. Everyone knows aliens HATE cabbage.

This is a great piece. I have yet to wear in public (other than going for car rides). All great points. I hopefully will soon put them into practice.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenBrow View Post
    This is an excellent article. I know I wear in public on occasion and have the same fears. This will definitely help me if I decide to do it again, because the rise I get from wearing outside of home is the thought of people never knowing, like a big secret mission. Thanks!
    Ninja status no doubt. You're more than welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by kwis View Post
    Very well written article, I feel like a lot of people who hadn't already started to rationalize wearing in public will take a lot away from it. =D

I typically wear a hoodie and track warmup pants over shorts anyways so it's really easy for me to hide wearing under all those layers =p
    Hoping to turn it into a article. *nods* I asked my good papa RC (raccoon) to handle all my proofreading for me since I never been good at proper punctuation. I hope you're right though. I'm here to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Descolada View Post
    Feel free, I'm an open book.

While I'm at it...
    1) To expand on your headphone idea, if you have an ipod/phone or something like that, you can just put the music on speaker and put it on your pocket, and viola, great cover up. (I use that tactic around my roommates)

2) To address the practicality issue in the "bulk of the matter" part, I would say that Depend or other pull ups are definitely your best bet for low-profile. Yeah, they suck, but they're not very bulky, they make hardly any noise, and they're WAY easier to change in a public restroom! Slip it off, slip on a new one, no tapes! ;D

3) You forgot to address the Attack of the Pants Snatchers! I recon your best bet there would be cabbage. Everyone knows aliens HATE cabbage.
    I didn't mention pull ons because I don't trust them not to leak. I think you would have a bigger issue dealing with leaking than you would over a noise factor. I reworked some of your advice in already though. Thank you again.

You've got a point there lol, I didn't even consider that. Depends leak more often than not haha.

No problemo, looks good, except for one type-o towards the end in the final thoughts, it should be "an apology would be nice"

And I don't know about you, but I'm an expert at warding off aliens with clothing vaporizers... Holla if you need some pointers! ;p

I'll echo the sentiment that this is a good article. I will wear in the winter when I can cover up with jeans and a long coat. I occasionally wear in public on Saturdays because I would have worn Friday night, and so I have the urge to continue wearing. I have to grocery shop on Saturday and I simply don't want to be in underwear. When the summer comes, however, I'm in shorts. It is Virginia! But then, it get's terribly hot, and being in cloth and plastic in 95 degree weather isn't all that pleasant, so I don't wear out in public, for all the reasons mentioned in the article. I lack the courage and I'm well known. I can't go to the grocery store without having several people stop and say hello. They know I'm not incontinent, or at least I assume this.

On a more interesting note, I have gone out on the bike trail wearing. It's an incredible rush and I want to do it again this summer. I chose a day that was raining on and off and I knew very few people would be on the trail.