Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony xperia play (PlayStation Phone)

Default Sony xperia play (PlayStation Phone)

Has anyone seen how epic this phone is? It might just be the Playstation fanboy in me but I am so wishing that my family had a plan with Verizon. But I still want and Iphone 4, but I want this phone even more. I still have a year left on my contract and after that my family is off at&t so maybe they will have another version of it when my contract runs out. Ah I want this phone!

This thread should be in computers and games ^^;

But I see the success of this being very questionable. It could VERY easily be another NGage. Especially since Sony has a replacement of the PSP in development currently nicknamed the "NGP" (which the hardware is essentially is the same CPU and GPU as the iPad 2 with an extra 2 cores on the CPU and GPU, aka the "NGP" has quad core CPU and GPU while the iPad 2 has duel core) and I don't think this device plays either PSP1 or NGP games. Also, these "one big category" phones haven't done well in the past. I already mentioned the NGage but the Garmin Nuvifone flopped as well and heck, now Garmin has their GPS software out on the iPhone now.

But it could be very successful as well if Sony can push the device well enough and especially if it can play PSP and/or NGP games. So who knows how this device will do, we just have to wait for it to get released and see.

Quote Originally Posted by DA360 View Post
    This thread should be in computers and games ^^;

But I see the success of this being very questionable. It could VERY easily be another NGage. Especially since Sony has a replacement of the PSP in development (which the hardware is essentially an iPad 2 with an extra 2 cores on the CPU and GPU). and these "one big category" phones haven't done well in the past. I already mentioned the NGage but the Garmin Nuvifone flopped as well. But it could be very successful as well, so who knows.
    Your right it should be moved. am I able to move it or does a mod? and I am pretty sure im gonna be getting the new psp that is coming out, but I think the phone is a great idea and a good alt. to the new psp that is in development or even if you have a psp now or a psp go.

Just wanted to chime in that Engadget just review it and well, they were not too impressed. They thought the screen was not that good and too dim to use in sunlight, and the hardware wasn't that great and there's literly only one game available at its launch, with the rest being general Android games that don't use the Playstation controls. That's sad because the NGage had far more than one game at its launch. They only gave it a 6 out of 10 and said that they will “hold out hope for the PlayStation Phone 2.0.” Plus the hardware is no more powerful that most Android devices or the iPhone 4s, and the iPad 2s hardware is more powerful (which that hardware will be in the iPhone 5 and 5th gen iPod Touch in the future).

So basically its not really that highly recommended to get. I kind of feared that and I fear this WILL go the way of the NGage or the Nuvifone.

Engadget's closing comments:
    "So with almost no differentiating software of its own, the Play is really relying on the strength of its gamepad to round up willing participants in its gaming revolution. We concur that that's indeed the phone's main strength, with good ergonomics and an extremely durable sliding mechanism. Nonetheless, the poor quality of the screen and good, but not great, hardware spec force us to be reluctant about recommending it as a sage purchase at present. Perhaps it picks up a loyal following, from both developers and fans alike, and within a few short weeks, we're all looking at a device with a rich ecosystem of compelling tailor-made content and a ton of reasons to own it. But as for today? We'd rather spend our cash elsewhere in the Android cosmos and hold out hope for the PlayStation Phone 2.0."

Sony Ericsson Xperia Play review -- Engadget

Quote Originally Posted by DA360 View Post
    Just wanted to chime in that Engadget just review it and well, they were not too impressed. They thought the screen was not that good and too dim to use in sunlight, and the hardware wasn't that great and there's literly only one game available at its launch, with the rest being general Android games that don't use the Playstation controls. That's sad because the NGage had far more than one game at its launch. They only gave it a 6 out of 10 and said that they will “hold out hope for the PlayStation Phone 2.0.” Plus the hardware is no more powerful that most Android devices or the iPhone 4s, and the iPad 2s hardware is more powerful (which that hardware will be in the iPhone 5 and 5th gen iPod Touch in the future).

So basically its not really that highly recommended to get. I kind of feared that and I fear this WILL go the way of the NGage or the Nuvifone.

Engadget's closing comments:
    "So with almost no differentiating software of its own, the Play is really relying on the strength of its gamepad to round up willing participants in its gaming revolution. We concur that that's indeed the phone's main strength, with good ergonomics and an extremely durable sliding mechanism. Nonetheless, the poor quality of the screen and good, but not great, hardware spec force us to be reluctant about recommending it as a sage purchase at present. Perhaps it picks up a loyal following, from both developers and fans alike, and within a few short weeks, we're all looking at a device with a rich ecosystem of compelling tailor-made content and a ton of reasons to own it. But as for today? We'd rather spend our cash elsewhere in the Android cosmos and hold out hope for the PlayStation Phone 2.0."

Sony Ericsson Xperia Play review -- Engadget
    Thanks for that link to the review! The videos they made really helped me realize that its not all sony has hyped it to be! Maybe when my contract is up next year another version will be out that is more up to par but if not oh well I guess thats what the NGP is coming for lolz.

Addux

IMO, I'm not buying it, I'm sticking to my Nexus S and PSP.

Butterfly Mage

To be honest, I can't recommend a Sony Ericsson phone at this point. The Android OS is being upgraded all the time, but SE will only do updates for generic, non-branded phones. I had to void the warranty on my xPeria x10 just to get Android 2.1 installed.

I think for now I'd rather duct tape my PSP to my phone - can play more games and still has all the functions of a phone

Addux

LOL :P that's what I did, but it got a bit lumpy in my pocket.