Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No-fly zones in libya

Default No-fly zones in libya

Anybody hear about operation odyssey dawn, yes the UN approved no-fly zones in libya to stop gaddafi to use airpower against the anti gaddafi. What do you think about UN involvement in libya and Libyan civil war. I stay neutral i don't like gaddafi because he is corrupt and kill his own people but in the other hand i think UN involvement because they want to control libyan oil like they do in iraq. For me the solution is election to decide what libyans want

In theory, the UN Resolution is in support of Human Rights. I will concede that some of the Security Council members may have considered the economic aspects in casting their vote. The vote ran 10 supporting, 5 abstaining, none dissenting.

What I will object to is the common practice of assuming ANY military operation must be an inherently designed around economic benefits and acquisition of resources. As a note, the UN doesn't have any notable presence in Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by archer View Post
    i think UN involvement because they want to control libyan oil like they do in iraq.
    i doubt that's the case: Iraq and Libya are both members of OPEC, along with Iran, Saudi Arabia and many others. so whichever way we look at the oil situation with such members, they're the ones in control of their oil production and pricing, and the 'west' have to scrabble over scattered deposits.
    but, anyone would be a fool to deny that oil wasn't a major issue, with regards to the continued prosperity of Libya, as it's a supplier of the product that we, in the west, buy. they need us, as we need them.

the real crime, i think, is that the west has allowed and supported a monopolizing of oil production and it's profits by the minority ruling elites of what we regard/have fabricated as sovereign states. by all rights, we should also be deposing the rulers and governments of most of the OPEC members so that the people of those lands may enjoy the profits of their lands.
    but, that won't happen while there are the threats of destabilizing elements (terrorists) within those lands. ultimately, those terrorist groups are not liberating the people but sentencing them to poverty and conflict.

to me, its the intervention thats stirring my mind a though of
    'the drums of war thunder once again' personally i can feel that this will escalate again, and well have ANOTHER war.
    yet somehow, im ok with that, i guess because theyre so far away, i simply dont care as much, although of course i wish vicory for those seeking self governence.

Second verse, same as the first.

Well, I'm glad in these days of austerity that we Americans find the charity in our hearts to lob $200,000,000 worth of cruise missiles at a country that never attacked us.

Hope change etc...

So you're of the opinion we don't have a moral obligation to prevent and punish blatant and horrific Human Rights Violations?

Quote Originally Posted by Traemo View Post
    So you're of the opinion we don't have a moral obligation to prevent and punish blatant and horrific Human Rights Violations?
    To be fair, the west usualy has no problem ignoring that kind of things - democratic nations have a pretty crappy track record in the matter...

Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    To be fair, the west usualy has no problem ignoring that kind of things - democratic nations have a pretty crappy track record in the matter...

Sent from my iPhone
    Sudan, and Africa as a whole up til recently anyone???

Anyways I am glad something is FINALLY being done. The problem's I have is

1. Obama and company want to wait until UN and others acted that way they/the US won't be hated as "World Police" as it were under Bush. In waiting people lost their lives. Granted I din't even knew them/of them. So honestly I can't say I care for them personally.

2. Nothing's being done about any of the other countries having problems. Nothing got done with Egypt either despite it nearly turning out the same way. Then again Egypt was/is a ally.. so we can't go in and fuck our "friends" up when they do horrible shit.

Either way, the only change I've seen is The US not doing jack fucking shit unless the rest of the world holds it's hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Traemo View Post
    Just like Iraq?

No, we don't. Their country, their rules, their lives. It's not the duty of NATO or the USA to be policeman of the world, and enforce our western version of universal human rights. It is not our duty whatsoever. I'm flabbergasted that the Obama administration is getting a completely free pass from the news media for starting another war in an oil producing country.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    Just like Iraq?

No, we don't. Their country, their rules, their lives. It's not the duty of NATO or the USA to be policeman of the world, and enforce our western version of universal human rights. It is not our duty whatsoever. I'm flabbergasted that the Obama administration is getting a completely free pass from the news media for starting another war in an oil producing country.
    it was the french, and brits that are doing the MOST of this work, and secondly, they went to the UN frst, and there were UN talks saying to libya 'stop being an asshole to your people'