Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Men In Ballet

Default Men In Ballet

I'm a guy who is thinking about joining ballet. Do you think the girls would care and find it awkward to see a guy at their ballet school (an older teenager) if they are younger teens? 12-13?

I don't want to seem out of shape there you know. I'm 19 almost 20 and the thing they told me is that their is only 3 guys total in the entire studio. I don't want it to seem like I'm there only because I want a girlfriend or anything like that. I'm really interested in joining ballet.

The guys have to wear black tights and a dance belt with white t-shirts on top. For those who do not know a dance belt is basically a thong. (It's like a jockstrap for athletes essentially). So should I give it a go? It's within biking/walking distance and I have a job now so I probablly could join.

If it's something you really want to do, then go ahead and do it. I would, however, avoid signing-up, and paying, for more than a month or two to begin with. That way if you find that you are not interested, or don't feel welcome there, you will not be out of a lot of money.

If the girls are already established in the ballet school, I doubt they'll care much. I mean, you kind of need men for some parts of ballet, so the more the merrier, right? If you're not too fit to begin with, I imagine you'll feel a bit out of place at first, but I'd imagine they'd all be pretty patient with noobs. Whether they think you're there to pick up chicks is all about how you behave around them. If you're super touchy with the girls, or showoffish around them, it might give that impression. Just be cool, and I suspect everyone will be cool with you, too. And have fun -- ballet can be very rewarding, both for girls and for boys.

I'd say if you're really interested and you think you'd enjoy it, go for it.

I wouldn't think that anyone would be wierded out by a guy. Maybe curious about you for the first few days until they get used to you being around, but that's normal for anything.

If anything it's worth a try.

You're very old to begin with ballet. Most start at young age. They're young and flexible and even then it's a long and hard way to become any good. Ballet dancers wear tights, is that an issue for you since you mentioned it.
    What I miss in your post is you don't write you admire ballet and want to become a great dancer yourself, or that want to learn how to dance and control your body.

paxaman0

whilst personally I have never had the desire to join the ballet or dance classes in general - I'd say if it is what you want to do: Go for it.

But I've been into sports my entire life and let me tell you that anything requiring lots of flexibility is not gonna be any easy if you're at your age.
    I know it sound silly.. you are 19... but it is going to be a lot harder for you than anyone who starts with something like that at a much younger age.
    Not wanting to ruin your plans - but you are almost certainly not able to become a top-pro anymore. Which doesn't mean you can't get good.

The one part which would have me running miles around any ballet outfit is - well the outfit. I hate tights

good luck!

Paxaman,

I think you should go for it. There's nothing "unmanly" about being involved in dance or in ballet. Quite the opposite, actually -- few people are as in-shape as male ballet-dancers should be.

I took ballet for a year and loved every minute of it. I hope you find something in it that draws you in. Enjoy yourself and be proud to want to dance!

Give it a go? One hardly gives ballet a go! At almost 20 you may have left it a bit late to start. It is an artform requiring dedication and much practice ... but if you really wish it and the school is willing to accept you ... :-)

I'm 18 and I started ballet lessons when I was 14/15.....best decision I ever made in my opinion. It relaxes me hugely and gives me an opportunity to throw on leggings & leotards whenever I want....just a shame that my recent bout of IC has stopped me recently.

If anything, a male doing ballet is quite attractive to the opposite sex, its how I've met my latest girlfriend, so go for it

wittlekidd

[QUOTE=Paxaman0;601142]I'm a guy who is thinking about joining ballet. Do you think the girls would care and find it awkward to see a guy at their ballet school (an older teenager) if they are younger teens? 12-13?

I don't want to seem out of shape there you know. I'm 19 almost 20 and the thing they told me is that their is only 3 guys total in the entire studio. I don't want it to seem like I'm there only because I want a girlfriend or anything like that. I'm really interested in joining ballet.
    I personally know quite a few of men in Ballet and they are not socially awkward whatsoever If you really want to join. then join! who cares what others think anyways!
    As for the girls thiking you're there only to "get them", Get to know them! show them that you are not just there to get them