Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your most maxed-out data ever?

Butterfly Mage

Wink Your most maxed-out data ever?

So... I have an unlimited data plan that I am basically going to hold onto until doomsday. The new plans from AT&T are all ripoffs. So, to show my contempt for the greedy, tight-fisted telco, I purposefully try to use as much data as humanly possible in a given month.

Thus far, I've managed to push 11.2 Gb through my iPhone and 10.5 Gb through my Android phone in a single billing cycle (21.7 Gb total).

What's your maximum data transfer? And do you get a vicarious thrill out if saying f--- you to the cell phone company by radically abusing the "unlimited" feature? (I know I do!)

See, I'm in Canada. And in Soviet Canada, you don't owe to the cellphone companies, the cellphone companies own you.

All that to say that there is no such sillyness as unlimited data here, at least not that I've ever heard of. I get 500MB/month (part of my 65$ let's abuse Near plan). Did I mention that I don't get texting, caller ID, voicemail or long distances and that Rogers tried to convince me to switch to a plan with no data included? /rant

Point is, the only way I can give them the finger would be to text Oli 24/7 (seing I do have My5... Yeah, one perk), but we're both too boring for that.
    To answer your question, I usualy pull at most 100MB per month, except when the World Cup was on and I watched games on my cellphone (which didn't count for data usage since I had to pay like 20$ to watch the games -_-).

Sent from my iPhone

I don't have any data plan on my phone, but if I did I think I could easily get it up to 25-50 GB's per month thanks to netflix or streaming bittorrent stuff to the phone.

My absolute worst month was when I was on Alltel and managed to max out my 5GB of tethering and another 4GB on the unlimited Blackberry data (and yes they were in fact measured separately).

On my current AT&T plan, the worst I've done is 1.4GB when I still had my Blackberry in April of last year when my phone was the only device I had Internet access on for the most part while I was stuck out of state because my mom went into a diabetic coma while we were on vacation at Easter seeing my sister and her family.

PaddedPuppy

I usually go through between 500 and 700MB per month on my phone.

T-Mobile have a 3GB monthly fair usage allowance to all standard customers, or 10GB for users with things like business contracts who spend so much each month. If you go over this there is no further charge, You just get 3G internet access removed so you only have basic browsing so there is no more video streaming...

Makes no difference to me because my BlackBerry 8900 doesn't have 3G.

So T-Mobile are quite good. But o2 charged one of my friends 3 per MB after they went over the included data.

Like Near, I'm in Canada. I'm with Fido (owned by Rogers), I have a 6GB data plan with them. The first couple months when I first got the plan I made a point of using the data up, but not so much anymore. I normally only use around 2GB a month with browsing, online radio streaming and the occasional laptop tethering.

The 6GB data plan is $30, so it's at least not beyond horrible, like many data plans in Canada. To get the 6GB data plan though you have to sign a 3 year contract with them and you have to get it while they are having the 6GB promo, which is usually for a couple months after a new iPhone comes out. If you don't get the 6GB promo, then you generally get a whole 1GB for $30, which isn't very good at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    See, I'm in Canada. And in Soviet Canada, you don't owe to the cellphone companies, the cellphone companies own you.

All that to say that there is no such sillyness as unlimited data here, at least not that I've ever heard of. I get 500MB/month (part of my 65$ let's abuse Near plan). Did I mention that I don't get texting, caller ID, voicemail or long distances and that Rogers tried to convince me to switch to a plan with no data included? /rant

Point is, the only way I can give them the finger would be to text Oli 24/7 (seing I do have My5... Yeah, one perk), but we're both too boring for that.
    To answer your question, I usualy pull at most 100MB per month, except when the World Cup was on and I watched games on my cellphone (which didn't count for data usage since I had to pay like 20$ to watch the games -_-).

Sent from my iPhone
    There are unlimited Data plans through new companies such as Wind, but you have to be in a "Wind zone" for you to have access to the unlimited data, which are many of the major cities in Canada. But if you don't live in one of those zones, it doesn't really help you, as it's like 25 cents or so a MB when you're outside of a "Wind Zone".

So far Fido and Rogers will sometimes give unlimited voice plans to customers (but you have to fight for it) to compete with the new companies, but so far they refuse to give any unlimited data plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabo View Post
    There are unlimited Data plans through new companies such as Wind, but you have to be in a "Wind zone" for you to have access to the unlimited data, which are many of the major cities in Canada. But if you don't live in one of those zones, it doesn't really help you, as it's like 25 cents or so a MB when you're outside of a "Wind Zone".
    For the records, I live 700km (450mi) away from the nearest "Wind zone" -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    For the records, I live 700km (450mi) away from the nearest "Wind zone" -_-
    Yeah, I don't live in a "Wind Zone" either. I visit "Wind Zones" four or five times a year, but that's about it. So those unlimited data plans don't help either of us in the least right now.

Butterfly Mage

There's a new carrier in my city called "Clear". It's $40 for unlimited 4G. The trouble is that it has no 3G/EDGE fallback. So you get 6 Mb/sec or you get nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    There's a new carrier in my city called "Clear". It's $40 for unlimited 4G. The trouble is that it has no 3G/EDGE fallback. So you get 6 Mb/sec or you get nothing at all.
    Bell and Telus in Canada did something similar when they launched a 3G GSM network a couple years ago. This was their first GSM network, as they were CDMA only prior to the new network. When they first launched their 3G network the 3G was spotty in areas, and there was no Edge/GPRS fallback. So if you lost your 3G then you had no coverage at all. Their GSM network has since improved and they are beginning to launch 4G in certain areas, so those areas would at least now have a 3G fallback. But there still isn't any fallback if you lose your 3G.