Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Things That Piss You Off While Driving?

Default Things That Piss You Off While Driving?

Alright, so as a driver that just attained my license, I'm PROBABLY not one to talk since I'm an 'inexperienced driver' or whatnot, but NEVERTHELESS, I've already come up with a bunch of things that really chap my ass about driving.

1. There's ALWAYS, ALWAYS that dude doing 10 under who's GOT to be in front of you.
    2. On the highway there's always that ONE dude you get stuck behind who's riding the brakes.
    3. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I've been tailgated for a few miles and then when the guy got an opportunity to pass me he did so and then slowed to like 5 under.
    4. People who see you coming so, instead of letting you pass, they must merge/turn/switch lanes/pass faster, because you know, driving's a race.
    5. Showoffs. People at lights who have one hand on the window, one hand on the wheel, their seats unnaturally laid back, and they're looking at you with an "I dare you, bitch." smirk on their face.

I can't say I'm the perfect driver, though. Ha, far from it. I get open stretches of road and put the pedal all the way down, I merge and switch lanes and forget blinkers, I stop short on people who tailgate. I'll speed up on people who try to pass me... So maybe it's karma? Either way, karma or law of attraction or none of the above. It pisses me off. Driving is such a pleasure, yet such a burden. Anyone wanna take a crack at adding to the list?

I can't say I do have any of those pet hates. The one thing that annoys me most about some drivers is the way they act towards cyclists. I cycle more than I drive, and when I do drive I'm very conscious of them, however not many drivers are.

It sounds like you need to calm down a bit on the road, both in yourself, and towards other people.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyAllie View Post
    1. There's ALWAYS, ALWAYS that dude doing 10 under who's GOT to be in front of you.
    2. On the highway there's always that ONE dude you get stuck behind who's riding the brakes.
    3. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I've been tailgated for a few miles and then when the guy got an opportunity to pass me he did so and then slowed to like 5 under.
    4. People who see you coming so, instead of letting you pass, they must merge/turn/switch lanes/pass faster, because you know, driving's a race.
    5. Showoffs. People at lights who have one hand on the window, one hand on the wheel, their seats unnaturally laid back, and they're looking at you with an "I dare you, bitch." smirk on their face.

I can't say I'm the perfect driver, though. Ha, far from it. I get open stretches of road and put the pedal all the way down, I merge and switch lanes and forget blinkers, I stop short on people who tailgate. I'll speed up on people who try to pass me... So maybe it's karma? Either way, karma or law of attraction or none of the above. It pisses me off. Driving is such a pleasure, yet such a burden. Anyone wanna take a crack at adding to the list?
    Yeah.... not a good thing when you do the same stuff your getting pissed off about.

Anyways that guy who drives maybe 10 mph less then everyone else could possibly be scared of driving, have his car loaded down with weight or is transporting something fragile, a wedding cake for instance. That guy riding the brakes on the highway, simply pass him.

Being tailgated then the person passing you and the slowing down in front of you is a dick move. The solution however is totally simple. Pull off the road for a min, or 5. They have area's for car's to turn off into for fixing a problem or taking a really quick break. (Not the emergency lane, but like 40-60 yard areas covered in gravel usually.... no not runaway truck ramps either.)

You admitted to doing #4, please stop doing it and be one less problem on the road?

5. Let the showoff's be showoffs. they'll likely hit a pot hole while not steering, and crash into a tree. Darwin is still alive in some respects.

People who ride in 'packs' on the road.

Or who think that they always have to go ninety. Especially on the curving, hilly roads in my area...and in the winter on ice.

Obviously I can't control other people, but those are the ones I watch out for when I'm driving so I can keep in mind that I may have to account for their accidents. Defensive driving FTW.

Eh, driving is one small pleasure of mine. Especially when it is warm-ish and I can roll down the windows and cruise. The good part about being here is the nice backroads that absolutely no one is on late at night. Twisty and neat to drive on. Now I just need a better car to do so in. I'm thinking black sports car with red leather interior. Heck yeah. A blue Ford Focus really doesn't add much to the driving experience, in either performance or driving enjoyability.

Anyway, I can agree with at least going the speed limit. I'm not advocating speeding at all, but going below the posted limit, especially on a one lane road, is really annoying if you don't have a good reason to do so.

As far as showoffs, people speeding up, tailgaters, etc., I shake my head at them sometimes, but they don't bother me too much, as long as I can get around them or just ignore them. People acting like morons especially, as long as they are doing their moronic thing in a way that doesn't affect me or others. In order to not be frustrated every single time you take to the wheel, you need to learn to just let some of that stuff go, since the number of idiotic drivers far outweighs the decent ones (at least in the USA. Can't speak for other countries). You don't have to be a professional stunt driver, but at least pay attention to the basics and be at least a little polite.

I think the real irritation is people who don't follow right of way, then honk at me when I take my turn. The other one is my mother screaming "brakes, brakes BRAKES BRAKES!!!!" And I'm like WOMAN! and she's like "My car, my rules >:| "

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    I think the real irritation is people who don't follow right of way, then honk at me when I take my turn. The other one is my mother screaming "brakes, brakes BRAKES BRAKES!!!!" And I'm like WOMAN! and she's like "My car, my rules >:| "
    hmm.. she is just worried, probably more about the car than your driving (although they are both the same thing really...)
    do you pay the car payments, insurance, and gas? ever had to deal with an insurance claim and repair?

I'm not saying she isn't being unreasonable or anything, but i can sympathize with her feelings. I was the same way when my wife was learning to drive (she didn't get her license until 25), and i still dont like to be the passenger. was $$ as hell, but i was quite happy to send her off to driver training and let her learn in a vehicle that wasn't mine, and that i didnt have to sit in!
    and then there is the shock of insurance cost when a new driver enters the household... sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    Dude, Oh my God. You have no idea how I relate to that. That sounds almost verbatim to every single time I'm in the car with my mom. Hahahaha

AndrewThatsMyName

Hmm. It seems I'm tardy to the party, (or this thread).
    I'm also a new driver, I've been driving for 3 Months now, (plus the 6, with a permit) and a Lot of things get me angry.

1) When I'm actually driving the speed limit, and the dumb-ass tailgating me, as if to say "hey, idiot, drive faster", then when I turn, he speeds up quite a but.
    2) That guy who turns on his turn signal, and leaves it on for 3 blocks, and eventually turns it off.
    3) The guy who can see the exact same parking spot you can, and steals it.
    4) Not even to mention the slow drivers (although that's usually me :P)

That is all I can think of