Thread: Reaction 'tween ADHD med's & antidepressants causing urge incontinence

Default Reaction 'tween ADHD med's & antidepressants causing urge incontinence

Hi everyone.
    About 2 1/2 years ago I had a severe reaction to a combination of Adderall (for ADHD) and the antidepressant Zoloft. I became very agitated, shivering and shaking uncontrollably, to the point that I called my psychiatrist's after hours service. After hearing my symptoms he told me I was going through something called seratonin syndrome, which can be totally life-threatening. He prescribed Valium to relax me somewhat, but said that if the symptoms didn't get better I needed to go to the emergency room. After about 8-10 hours, the symptoms finally started to let up, but it was several days before I felt well enough to go back to work. The reaction basically sent my nervous system into hyper-overdrive for all that time. The nerves couldn't stop "firing" and the muscles they control couldn't relax.
    Previous to this, I'd not really had a problem with incontinence, however since then I've had frequent (like several times a week, sometimes a day) accidents and/or leakage. It's to the point I wear pull-ups (Goodnites ROCK) all the time now, and an adult diaper at night as well.
    I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
    Hi everyone.
    About 2 1/2 years ago I had a severe reaction to a combination of Adderall (for ADHD) and the antidepressant Zoloft. I became very agitated, shivering and shaking uncontrollably, to the point that I called my psychiatrist's after hours service. After hearing my symptoms he told me I was going through something called seratonin syndrome, which can be totally life-threatening. He prescribed Valium to relax me somewhat, but said that if the symptoms didn't get better I needed to go to the emergency room. After about 8-10 hours, the symptoms finally started to let up, but it was several days before I felt well enough to go back to work. The reaction basically sent my nervous system into hyper-overdrive for all that time. The nerves couldn't stop "firing" and the muscles they control couldn't relax.
    Previous to this, I'd not really had a problem with incontinence, however since then I've had frequent (like several times a week, sometimes a day) accidents and/or leakage. It's to the point I wear pull-ups (Goodnites ROCK) all the time now, and an adult diaper at night as well.
    I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?
    SS is not anything to mess with. I suspect that you found your teeth chattering and probably had bruxism (teeth grinding) at night. "Brain zaps" or "paraesthesia" as the medical folk like to call it goes well beyond the reported feelings of cold/electrical shocks.

SS is dangerous, and it's a good thing that you got right on that. I've not had this experience with incontinence, but wanted to weigh in on seratonin syndrome. PM me if you'd like to chat more.

Hi h3g31,
    Sorry, I can't seem'ta pm - it says I need'ta "level up".
    Yes! My teeth were chattering so much I could barely talk, and I had'tha brain-zaps too. Totally weird sensation. The worst of it was over after 'bout 10 hours, but I was a zombi for days'n days afterwards. I tried going back'ta work after 3 days and they sent me home. I was a mess. As for'tha IC thing, it realy seem'sta track back to this event. I can't be certain, but my suspicion is that I had some nerve, and maybe muscle, damage as a result.
    One other thing, though I don't think it's conected - I seem'ta be prone to bladder infections, which is way weird forra male. I've 3 or 4 over'tha yearts. Last year I had one so severe I was totally IC for 3 days or so until I got to'tha Dr.