Thread: What camera should I get?

Default What camera should I get?

Okay
    I know there was a similar thread posted a while ago, but that guy wanted different specs.

I want to upgrade my little nikon p100 to a DSLR.

So, I'm looking for a DSLR camera entry level to mid-range, my brands of choice, of course, are nikon or canon

My preferred specs are:
    good quality photos
    a rugged body
    and preferably one that performs well with high ISO (as most of my photos are in low light situations)

Thank-you!

I'm looking for a DSLR myself.

I've been looking mainly at the Canon EOS T2i (550D) and the Nikon D90. They both range at about 800$-1000$ and they seem to perform very well for their class. I'm probably going with the T2i because of its superior video capabilities, but I think the D90 is better for still photography - especially in low light situations. If you are interested in these cameras, research them to make sure they are right for you.

I think the Nikon would be better for you, but I'll put reviews for both here:

Nikon D90 - CNET
    Canon EOS T2i - CNET
    Nikon D90 vs Canon T2i ISO test - Camera Labs
    Nikon D90 vs Canon T2i Side by side - Digital Review

Nikon D80. They're like the D90 without video. If you need video, you'll spend ~1000USD on just the D90 body. If you need the lens too, it'll be around $200-$300 more. I love my D80 with an 18mm-55mm lens...quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    Nikon D80. They're like the D90 without video. If you need video, you'll spend ~1000USD on just the D90 body. If you need the lens too, it'll be around $200-$300 more. I love my D80 with an 18mm-55mm lens...quite nice.
    Good point, but there are some other differences. Notably, the D90 performs better in low-light settings because of its CMOS sensor (rather than CCD). Whether that's worth the extra 300$ is up to you.

Hi HappyGuy,

If you're moving up to a DLSR, I'd suggest thinking more about the lenses available for your chosen brand. Most likely, you'll end up spending a far, far more on the lenses than you will on the body and, so long as you stick to the same brand, you can usually reuse the lenses when you eventually (inevitably) move on to a new body.
    I'm in this situation now actually, I'll probably move up from my Canon 450D to a possibly a 7D or 5D.

As to low light performance, with the lower end bodies you'll often find there's a ton of noise at the top end of the ISO range, so discount the highest level entirely. For instance my 450D has an ISO range of 100-1600, however at 1600 there's a lot of noise, at 800 it's bareable, and from 400 it's fine.

Compared to a bridge camera like the P100 you'll probably find any DSLR's low light performance better due to the larger sensor size. As a rule the larger the sensor, the better the camera performs in low light.
    Also with DSLRs in particular getting a "fast" prime lens can help the low light performance, as they allow more light through to the sensor. For instance my 50mm f1.4 lens yields much better low light shots than my 70-300mm f4.0-5.6 lens.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Chrisb; 08-Mar-2011 at 05:05.

If you want a decent entry level get a Nikon d3100 w/ a 35mm 1.8 nikon lens. This will let you shoot indoors, without flash and is a lightweight kit that takes great quality pics.
    Build quality is good and you will get some great pics with that setup.