Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diapercentricism; should we even care?

Question Diapercentricism; should we even care?

Diapercentricism. I'm sure someone else has used the term, and if they haven't... well, then count me as the creator of a new word. We all have seen or made jokes about people who, regardless of the conversation at hand, ramble on for hours about how much they like diapers, theirs or someone else's. We also constantly talk about the big issue of 'invasion of someone's space,' both here on ADISC and in general society in general.

Diapercentricism, by my definition, is someone who constantly talks about, refers to, alludes to, and/or screams constantly that they love diapers.

Now, we've been slowly drifting away from this idea of diapercentricism for a while now. With the advent of sites like ADISC, the diapercentric community is now spread between other major sites.

Now, I was just recently (all of an hour ago) in a group conversation via the popular computer program "Skype," and whilst in there I made an interesting discovery. One of the people in the chat was trying to turn the generally relaxed and calm status of the non *b/DL conversation into a conversation about diapers, even when others clearly stated that they didn't want to talk about that. I explained to the fellow that he should probably stop that, since he was specifically targeting the conversation at the only girl there. I also explained to him that it's people like that, who force conversations like that with someone who ISN'T a *B/DL, who are giving us a bad name 75% of the time, if not more.

My biggest question is, what do you all think? Should we even bother caring about the diapercentricism still here in the *B/DL culture, or should we outright say that it's wrong to do? I'm curious as to what you all think. Oh, also- writer's note! The two examples here are the ones that I thought up that could be the harshest on all fronts, so please, don't take them to heart.

~Mikey

Now, here's the big thing- should we care?

I don't think it's wrong per se. It is a major part of most of the fetishes of people who visit ADISC (or any other related site). It should be monitored around people who might not feel comfortable with that talk, and those people should make that clear, and I think there's a time and place for it. I personally think we shouldn't care, or at least we should care about diapercentricism as much as *B/DL exhibitionists.

Peachy

As I've explained in some other thread recently: Some people go to diaper sites solely for talking about diapers. There's generally nothing wrong with that, but most often, they don't realize that there's other people on the other end of the screen, and people are naturally social people and will thus develope little subgroups, friendships or other 'normal' forms of social contact. Obviously, those diaper-centered people neither care nor crave that, and I'm willing to bet they don't understand the social aspect of sites either, so they're perplexed if other people here don't want to or flat out refuse to talk diapers with them. It doesn't fit into their neat little diaper-centered world.

Personally, I think we should just do what y'all did in that skype convo: Ignore them. You can tell them 200 times that you're not interested in talking diapers...they won't care. Their only purpose of being there is to talk diapers, so they'll either try to change the convo time and time again, or leave. Skype has the advantage that, if it gets too annoying, the host of the convo can click the "disconnect" button

Peachy

We should care when a new topic is broached. But it's almost all been covered before. You start with diapers, and then you build connections to other things like age, urination, kid shows, kid clothes, etc. As you learn more about each topic, you become bored and move on, and soon enough you're talking about what every other adult talks about. The things that interest you. It's important to talk about those things, and not spend more time on them than necessary. If you are obsessed with animals, chances are you'll work your cat into so many conversations it puts people off. If you are obsessed with diapers, you'll probably put off even your closest ABDL friends. That is the consequence of being true to yourself. If you don't like it, change yourself. Become less obsessed, and more well-rounded. Or, you can continue to press unsettling conversations on the people around you. It is your choice.

I'd say it's neither right nor wrong, it's just a matter of the social situation. ADISC caters more to the people who want a social, integrated side to their diaper liking. Some people don't come for friends, they just want information or to be able to vocalize this scary thing that they can't share elsewhere. If those people just pop in and out, they can get their fix and not disrupt things. If they hang around for longer, they're likely to be frustrated when they run out of threads about diapers, or IRC or Skype talk about something else. Part of maturity is understanding that not everything social is about you. If they're consistently not getting what they want, they can go elsewhere or push it and be regarded as boors.

The ABDL community has no shortage of sites where people can talk about diapers. There are few where one is encouraged to get to know people beyond diapers. I think we're the best at it, and that's a critical piece of our culture. I hope we maintain it but I think as long as we do, the problem you describe is essentially self-correcting.

Unlike everyone else so far in this post, I'm pretty new here and am still learning the culture and vibe of this site, but here's my two cents. Diapers are what bring people here in the first place, and as such, will most likely be the major point of conversation to a newbie. For many new people, the idea of others that are interested in diapers is still new and exciting. As such these people may seem diapercentric, but in some cases it's only because it's the common ground that they have with most people here. Almost all new relationships start with common ground, and the good ones will find ways to branch off to other interests. Weather they branch off or not is what makes the difference between a friend and a casual acquaintance.

I guess my point is that diapercentricism is not wrong, and should not be disallowed. It's the stepping stone to people being more willing to share more of themselves. Some may never want to talk about anything more then diapers, but in a community like this, they will (hopefully) be rare, and easily ignored.

BB

Given that I'm a big believer in freedom of speech, people should be freely available to talk on and on and on about diapers if that is what they want to talk about. I wouldn't completely discredit someone for that. But they will eventually find out that people are no longer listening. I don't think it would be fair of ADISC to exclude people like that because we have a forum specifically for it: Diaper Talk. Although I don't think a diapercentralist would really be happy here in the long term, it would be unfair to completely discourage it because it is the common thread that brought us all together. That said, if someone keeps spamming unrelated areas of the forums with all diaper talk then I think it is perfectly acceptable to steer them back to the forum they belong on.

AndrewThatsMyName

In my personal beliefs, if we want the rest of society to, at the very least, respect what we are, the people who exploit Diapercentricism to the world should not be apart of it. I have always wondered, what would happen if someone famous tried to bring diapers into the modern day culture, and my brain always gets stumpped somewhere along the way. It's practically the law of the universe. Don't Cross cultures. It happens in wars all the time.

This rant is kinda off topic, but my point is, yes, we should be concerned. It is a major factor in our community. We should watch out for things like this.

edmcmahon

Some people are simply not gifted with any social interaction, and don't think of the effects their words might have on others, especially in the anonymous environment of the internet... Not only is this unfortunate for the *B/DL community, a situation like this also casts all us men in a pretty bad light (sexually aggressive to the point of causing discomfort, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    As I've explained in some other thread recently: Some people go to diaper sites solely for talking about diapers. There's generally nothing wrong with that, but most often, they don't realize that there's other people on the other end of the screen, and people are naturally social people and will thus develope little subgroups, friendships or other 'normal' forms of social contact. Obviously, those diaper-centered people neither care nor crave that, and I'm willing to bet they don't understand the social aspect of sites either, so they're perplexed if other people here don't want to or flat out refuse to talk diapers with them. It doesn't fit into their neat little diaper-centered world.

Personally, I think we should just do what y'all did in that skype convo: Ignore them. You can tell them 200 times that you're not interested in talking diapers...they won't care. Their only purpose of being there is to talk diapers, so they'll either try to change the convo time and time again, or leave. Skype has the advantage that, if it gets too annoying, the host of the convo can click the "disconnect" button

Peachy
    i like the way peachy put this. there's nothing wrong with talking about diapers. heaven knows it's a topic i'm very interested in, and i don't get to discuss it much outside this site. but people who never talk about anything else probably won't really fit in on ADISC.

i think that's a good thing. there are other sites where those people fit in, and it's nice that there's a site like ADISC where we can make friends with one another as actual human beings who have dimension to our personalities beyond our interest in diapers.