Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Skylines being confiscated by Customs.

Thumbs down Nissan Skylines being confiscated by Customs.

You car freaks (such as I) have already probably heard, but for those that haven't--U.S. Customs are seizing imported Skylines. After we've solved the problems of war, poverty, and personal freedoms worldwide. /sarcasm

Right now I just want to get thoughts on this, mainly since I'm too busy ATM to give my own. Although, I'm pretty outraged at this.

Jalopnik: Obsessed With The Cult Of Cars

Wow, what a great use of the government's money. What's the worst possible thing that can come from keeping those vehicles on the road?

I recall hearing something a while back that they actually were illegal in various states of the US. Something about how much of an emission output the older Nissan Skylines have.

As I know, people can blow $15,000-$20,000 on motorcycles, which could go as fast, if not faster than most souped-up Skylines.

well, waste of resources in our current economic condition. Other than that, can't really say I give a crap about any ricer issue, sorry.

I figured this would happen. Not only was it because of Motorex not bringing the vehicles up to the correct crash testing protocol, but Skylines are also not made to meet the guidelines for a vehicle in the US. They're right-hand drive and they don't have the right mechanics/parts to pass smog tests or proper tests for clean air, etc. The cost to import these is huge, and converting them to be allowed to drive in the US is also very expensive.

thats just dumb. Just another example of the government abuse their power.

Quote Originally Posted by dprdude92 View Post
    I figured this would happen. Not only was it because of Motorex not bringing the vehicles up to the correct crash testing protocol, but Skylines are also not made to meet the guidelines for a vehicle in the US. They're right-hand drive and they don't have the right mechanics/parts to pass smog tests or proper tests for clean air, etc. The cost to import these is huge, and converting them to be allowed to drive in the US is also very expensive.
    The bitch of it is that it wasn't as though the cars will crumple like a coke can in a crash, or that they're spewing clouds of noxious fumes. It was stupid shit like the speedometers primarily reading metric, and that there was visible smoke from the tailpipe, even though they -could- pass a sniffer test for actual pollutant levels.

Seriously, this story pissed me off to no end when I read it. Honestly, because customs and immigration has NOTHING better to do with their time? Whatever part of this was funded with my tax dollars, I want a refund.

They currently sell the Skyline as the Infiniti G35 in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    The bitch of it is that it wasn't as though the cars will crumple like a coke can in a crash, or that they're spewing clouds of noxious fumes. It was stupid shit like the speedometers primarily reading metric, and that there was visible smoke from the tailpipe, even though they -could- pass a sniffer test for actual pollutant levels.
    This is what you get when you let bureaucrats run anything remotely resembling technology. As for metric speedometers, anyone who's enough of a gearhead to get a Skyline knows hows fast he's going by the sound of the engine and what gear he's in. Heck, I could do that within a couple mph on my old neon before I fixed the speedometer.

Dwhite

The odd thing about this was they were legal for a short period of time. If you could make through the unbelievebly hard import rules you could drive them until one day they just went "Nevermind, we dont wan them anymore." And its sad, there are so many cars I would love to bring here. *Cough newer Alfa Romeo Cough*