Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The DIY Thread

Default The DIY Thread

I was going to share photos of some things I made recently, but thought this would be a much more interesting thread if other people would share *B things that they have made as well. I see a few people have cool stuff scattered around in the gallery, but there's no collection of it. So, let's see what you've got: sewing projects, woodworking projects, paci mods, anything. I'll start:

The above blanket is Sesame Street fleece backed with solid blue fleece, edged with lime green satin and finished with light blue stitching. The finished size is approximately 60"x72". The second photo is a detail of the stitching.

Above are two-piece fleece footed PJs with gripper feet, made from a pattern purchased from Aidan & Emmy's Custom Clothing

Above is a small onesie made from an XL Jack Skellington T-shirt from Spencer's, according to a pattern purchased from Aidan & Emmy's Custom Clothing. Polyacetal resin snaps (and snap pliers for setting) are from KAM Snaps (Snaps, Snap Presses, Pliers & More).

This last photo doesn't really count; they're XL T-shirts I purchased that I will make into onesies once I get the time. The Big Bird shirt is from Walmart, summer 2010 (don't think they have any left). The Rugrats and Ren & Stimpy shirts are from JCPenney, January 2011; they had a bunch of different Nickelodeon shirts when I went there, and they probably still have some.

Nice work m8

The T-shirts are they extra long or do you just normaly wear like medium or Large.. ?

Baby Claps

Tigger_Junior

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerjunior View Post
    Nice work m8

The T-shirts are they extra long or do you just normaly wear like medium or Large.. ?

Baby Claps

Tigger_Junior
    The T-shirts aren't extra-long, just regular XL. I normally wear medium T's, but the XL shirts were just a little too small for converting to medium (2XL would be OK, I'd think) and also, onesies should be snug-fitting, so I made it according to the size small pattern.

good work...

I can sew a little...
    what's the machine you used?

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    good work...

I can sew a little...
    what's the machine you used?
    For the above work, I used a Kenmore Mini Ultra 3/4 (Amazon.com: Kenmore Mini Ultra 3/4 Size Sewing Machine with 6 Stitches Plus Buttonhole: Arts, Crafts & Sewing). It was just sitting in my grandparents' closet, so my grandfather gave it to me. It's serviceable, but not great. The stitching is even, but the design of the bobbin feed is sketchy; it likes to bind and tangle the thread. My favorite machine is a Singer Stylist 534 (Singer Sewing Machine 534), circa late 70's. I found one on Ebay and need to do some minor parts replacement and repairs before it is good to go. It is much more heavy-duty, compared to the plastic Kenmore. I made a Frank costume (from Donnie Darko) with a Stylist 534. I doubt the Kenmore would have made it through the thick plush fabric.

What do you sew, and what machine do you use?
    Last edited by Tygon; 03-Mar-2011 at 23:40.

Bobbie

Sorry, I can't make stuff, but yours is amazing! My Fav is the blankie

Cool! Thanks for posting this. I love to sew! I want to make a footed sleeper sometime. I have the pattern in my mind, (a gift from my dad that I inherited.) and maybe I'll post a tutorial here.

tygon i am envious of that footed sleeper you made

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    Above are two-piece fleece footed PJs with gripper feet, made from a pattern purchased from Aidan & Emmy's Custom Clothing
    Oh...my...goodness!!!!

Those look so cute! I'll definitely have to bookmark this and purchase a pattern at some point...thank you so much for sharing!

I really wish I could sew. You have made some really sweet looking stuff.