Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I miss my antidepressant!

Unhappy I miss my antidepressant!

So over last summer vacation i was on an antidepressant for my stress and anxiety. Oh how I miss it. It gave me so much more confidence and happiness. I found more interest in my hobbies. Life was finally good.

Now... I sometimes feel that I can't stand people in general. They seem so smug and arragant, even when they're just socializing! I'm paranoid, neurotic, and sad. I am starting to lose my interest in drawing and painting, The only thing I've ever been passionate in.

Well anyway, has anyone else ever been on an antidepressant?
    Last edited by Wambles; 04-Mar-2011 at 23:35.

I was having the exact same thoughts all night. Creepy.

But, yes, I know how this is. I was so paranoid to go out in public and I feel like I just can't do anything right now. Heck, I'm so self-conscious that I don't feel like biking in the morning and writing rituals because I think that somebody's going to go 'Hey look at the ugly girl'. I don't want to be on Prozac again because of the mental issues that it caused me in terms of the 'only crazy people are on drugs' stigma that society's built up and because I hate any medical professional who can prescribe drugs and berate you, but I want the artificial happy-high back. Anybody who's been on an anti-depressant can tell you that and it's one of the biggest pros and cons of the these things. They make you happy, yes, but is the happiness really... real? That's the other reason why I stopped taking them. I'm an emotional person and I value both good and bad emotions equally.

I'm kind of going through a diet shift right now (less starch and gluten), so I think that my body just isn't used to not having its usual dose of lovely white bread. Meh. Maybe we'll all feel better in the morning. :/

*hug*

I was once on meds. At first they made me unnaturally happy, outgoing, and far less cautious. I was anything but myself. Eventually though it took on more of a dulling affect. I felt like I was stuck behind a mask. I felt trapped within myself. It was great to have the darkest recesses of my mind kept under control. But I did not enjoy having fake emotions or having all my emotions become dulled in the end. So I quit. Now I'm in a situation where it is not possible to go back on the meds even if I wanted to.

I'm on 50mg sertraline for depression, been taking it for 4 weeks to the day exactly. It seems to have stopped working because my depression's come back, bit it's also brought with it aggression and anxiety. I have panic attacks and nightmares, despite being doped up on codeine. I'm easily provoked and even more irritable than ever.

I've never missed a dose of the stuff, but idk what's going on. I know that I'd die if my depression came back. I also keep having "brain zaps" too, which is really odd. You only get those if you stop and I'm still taking them. I've just taken one 5 minutes ago in actual fact.

I was really happy the first 4 weeks of taking them, but as of last Thursday it just stopped. Just like that. Woke up, and everything was gone. All that was there was depression and the self-hatred that I had before I started the pills. I was usually grinning from ear to ear and was in paradise, but now I've gone to hell.

I'm going to see the doctor at 10:30 this morning for a review, so I'll defo raise it with him/her this morning.

I wish that they worked for more than a month! Still it's nice to know I'm not the only one that's having this problem as everyone here seems to have had the same issues with their antidepressants. Well, not nice as in it's happened but nice as in I'm not the only one that's having this problem!

*hugs everyone*

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

I also love the fact that it causes nausea and vertigo for an hour after taking it(!); if nothing else it's a good diet pill since if you dare to eat anything you end up shouting for Huey on the porcalein telephone (probably not something you wanted to hear at this time of the morning!)

When did you get off of your antidepressants? I can tell you that I suffered from . . . I guess, withdrawal for a while after I stopped taking them the most recent time. After a while, it went away and I started feeling "normal," which for me is usually a somewhat melancholy state.

I will say that I quit taking them, because when I did, I didn't feel ANYTHING. I wasn't sad anymore, but I was never happy either. I was just apathetic towards everything. I do not like that feeling. Has anyone else had that happen to them, or am I imagining that?

This part of Garden State kind of perfectly describes what I think about anti-depressents.

YouTube - Garden State (2004) 9/10

Sorry, but linking to a certain part of the video won't work when you embed it into Adisc for some reason. The point is anti-depressents might make you feel numb, or happy or any range of emotions but it might/would be the drugs triggering such emotions. At one part of the scene Andrew says he would rather feel emotion asides from being emotionally numb, even if that emotion is sadness.

I myself would rather remain off mood/mind altering substances and try and be happy naturally, rather chemically induced.

Here's a interesting and closed topic I started a while ago along the same lines.

http://www.adisc.org/forum/mature-to...-hapiness.html

CaliforniaBear

i hate pills. it killed my uncle and it put my sister in rehab. my suggestion [...is against the rules]

I have taken an antidepressant.. it was not a great experience..

It made me feel extremely jittery, nervous, excited..
    Although it was kind of like a version of Botox, where you still feel depressed, although you can't help the fact that you are smiling

locololo

Quote Originally Posted by Wambles View Post
    So over last summer vacation i was on an antidepressant for my stress and anxiety. Oh how I miss it. It gave me so much more confidence and happiness. I found more interest in my hobbies. Life was finally good.

Now... I sometimes feel that I can't stand people in general. They seem so smug and arragant, even when they're just socializing! I'm paranoid, neurotic, and sad. I am starting to lose my interest in drawing and painting, The only thing I've ever been passionate in.

Well anyway, has anyone else ever been on an antidepressant? Maybe I'm meant to be on the medication forever. Maybe I need a NUK 5 for my stress
    i am extremly paranoid, cant stand people at all, and I may have OCD, but ive never taken medicine, ive just dealt with it.

Skalboi90 I have panic attacks and nightmares, despite being doped up on codeine.

I took Codeine / Co-Codamol for a week after surgery, it GAVE me nightmares, and for about an hour before I fell asleep I'd get a head full of random thoughts that I couldn't turn off :-s