Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iBook G4 program help.

Default iBook G4 program help.

My HP mini has been broken for almost two years now, and I've decided to just use my iBook G4 until I get a new HDD for my mini. Thing is, since the G4 is 'outdated', there aren't many programs I can use to do my work. I need something like Excel, and Word mainly. School is kicking my ass for having all my notes typed in TextEdit.

Anyone know of a program, preferably something I can download, for this? Any advice, besides 'o jut fix ur laptp' or ' get a new computer' would be kickass.
    Last edited by CrypticTaco; 27-Feb-2011 at 00:35.

PaddedPuppy

Google docs???

I can't give you much Apple advice, But I think you can get Wine, as you can for Linux, to run Windows apps.

Sadly, I can't work with google Docs, forgot to mention that. I pretty much never have any online access on it.

Quote Originally Posted by carbonfiber View Post
    My HP mini has been broken for almost two years now, and I've decided to just use my iBook G4 until I get a new HDD for my mini. Thing is, since the G4 is 'outdated', there aren't many programs I can use to do my work. I need something like Excel, and Word mainly. School is kicking my ass for having all my notes typed in TextEdit.

Anyone know of a program, preferably something I can download, for this? Any advice, besides 'o jut fix ur laptp' or ' get a new computer' would be kickass.
    MS Office 2004 runs fine on my iBook G4.

So ... if you need Office, this is a version that I know will run on it.

You could try NeoOffice, a port of OpenOffice to the Mac. It's not speedy, but it works.

If you're using at least OS 10.4, you can use LibreOffice (basically a fork of OpenOffice after Oracle backstabbed the development community). http://download.documentfoundation.o...tall_en-US.dmg

Guys, I don't think I've mentioned it before but, right now I have 10.3.9.

Fortunately, it seems that I can get to 10.5.8, however, Apple Update is tellin' me that I'm up to date. Question: How do I update to 10.4? I need help, and I'm sorry if this is getting OT from the original post, but I should've mentioned it first, my bad.

I looked at a chart I found on Wikipedia and mine was made in 2004 apparently, with the 1.07Ghz processor, but I donut know why it isn't letting me...

Quote Originally Posted by carbonfiber View Post
    Guys, I don't think I've mentioned it before but, right now I have 10.3.9.

Fortunately, it seems that I can get to 10.5.8, however, Apple Update is tellin' me that I'm up to date. Question: How do I update to 10.4? I need help, and I'm sorry if this is getting OT from the original post, but I should've mentioned it first, my bad.
    Um.

10.4 is a new point-revision of the software. You'll be moving from Panther to Tiger (10.4) and maybe to Leopard (10.5). I'm running 10.5.8 on mine; you should be able to as well. You can buy 10.4 or 10.5 from Apple or on-line.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    Um.

10.4 is a new point-revision of the software. You'll be moving from Panther to Tiger (10.4) and maybe to Leopard (10.5). I'm running 10.5.8 on mine; you should be able to as well. You can buy 10.4 or 10.5 from Apple or on-line.
    F

I didn't find 10.5 online at apple's site, and online is like $200. fml

aight, thanks for the help guise, I guess I'mma start collecting quarters...

Every version Office other than 2011 should work on a PowerPC Mac and I know Firefox still supports PowerPC. And yea, the latest you can get is Leopard (10.5) since Snow Leopard (10.6) and the upcoming Lion (10.7, coming this summer) is Intel only. Also, I am sure that OpenOffice still supports PowerPC Macs (if not, I am sure there's a complied version that does).

And $200 for Leopard? That IS terrible...