Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indifference towards the death of humans but not animals?

Default Indifference towards the death of humans but not animals?

Alright here is my situation.... They are many murders and accidents where I live. In my lifetime (20yrs) I've seen a dead body in the middle of the road 3 times or so. murders near my house are pretty common. Like a block away or two there's a murder every couple years. (and I don't live in a Ghetto) XD

Anyways So heres my story I saw a guy dead on the floor (in the middle of the road) He was murdered by some thugs he was a drug dealer. I didn't bat an eye. I simply just kept going and said "he prolly deserved it" Yet when I see road kill I get deeply saddened specially if it's a Dog or a Cat. It deeply affects me, I get angry and upset and try to avoid looking at it. It simply disturbs me.

Here is the fucked up part. I saw an old granny get hit by a car (got there couple minutes later) It was an accident she was crossing the road and a car trampled her. She didn't deserve it and all I could do was be like "eh".

It's like I"m in different when I see humans on the road. Yet I'm deeply moved saddened and depressed when I see a dogs entrails splattered all over the road... I feel like I'm a horrible person for feeling this way but.... I dunno.... I just can't feel sorry for people....

I can't speak for you definitively on your feelings, but I would theorize that your psyche detaches itself from emotion when seeing a dead human to keep you from being overwhelmed with emotion. This would be a subconscious response. You feel the way you do about animals because you feel you can handle that level of emotion.

Working in the ER, I often see bodies and have people die in front of me, including while I am working on them. Most of my fellow nurses, as well as the techs, docs, etc., develop a sense of detachment from the emotion, or come up with coping mechanisms like morbid humor to deal with the situation. There are times the coping mechanisms become overwhelmed, such as when a baby dies, etc.

I personally think you are having a normal reaction to an abnormal situation.

Butterfly Mage

I think you're having a very normal reaction. I believe the psychological term is "desensitizing". If you are exposed to something horrible enough and often enough, eventually the stimulus has a progressively decreasing emotional reaction. Without the mind's ability to desensitize, there would be very few soldiers, police officers, fire fighters, paramedics, or ER staff.

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by closet dl View Post
    I can't speak for you definitively on your feelings, but I would theorize that your psyche detaches itself . . . .
    Working in the ER, I often see bodies and have people die in front of me. I personally think you are having a normal reaction to an abnormal situation.
    That is EXACTLY what I thought about. I too work in a publlic health care place, and it is true. You see so many people in so many different messed up situations, that you mind DOES tend to block it out to protect your own sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    I think you're having a very normal reaction. I believe the psychological term is "desensitizing". Without the mind's ability to desensitize, there would be very few soldiers, police officers, fire fighters, paramedics, or ER staff.
    I agree. I also think that when the self preservation blockage of 'desensitizing' gets overwhelmed, then is when you have problems like post traumatic stress and such. I am not a doctor, but I think that equation makes sense.
    Last edited by Cherub; 24-Feb-2011 at 15:52. Reason: spelling correction

What everyone else said. But I'll say something else too.

I'm the same way because humans are bastards 90% of the time. We steal, cheat, lie... and that makes me feel indifferent or even slightly joyous when a certain type of person dies. (Like drug dealers, murderers, and child molesters.) I feel horrible, however, when animals die because they were just trying to live their lives and then humans had to go fuck it up. Armadillos are our main roadkill here, which saddens me immensely because they're cute and they weren't doing anything wrong. They just don't have the capacity to know that humans are fuckups and that cars will crush them flat.

The world was fine before humans came along. Then all hell broke loose.

Butterfly Mage

Ted Turner said it best: "The human race is a cancer upon the planet Earth".

Quote Originally Posted by Shukkume View Post
    I'm the same way because humans are bastards 90% of the time. We steal, cheat, lie... [...]The world was fine before humans came along. Then all hell broke loose.
    You must live in a pretty crappy area if you think that humans are bastards 90% of the time... The vast majority of people I've meet IRL are decent people. Heck, I left my iPhone in a cab twice and both time the cabby pointed it out to me. I honestly don't think I've ever met anyone that I would qualify as a "bastard"... Not that everyone is an angel all the time, but from what I've seen the majority of people acts decently the majority of the time.

Also, the natural world is very much dog-eat-dog, and it was such long before humans came around. Any other species that would have attained our level of technology would probably be no better, it's the nature of animals (i.e. survive and reproduce).

Meh, my first response with dead people is usually a fart joke. At the same time, I also find time to cry about it. I'll hear about some horrible story, such as the violence in Libya at the moment, and when I have sometime to myself later in the day I'll think about that sad incident again and feel emotionally different. I care about humans and the human races, I think people are mostly good when it comes down to it.

On the flip side, when I see a dead animal, I think nothing. I have little compassion for pets, I'll enjoy their company, but I find them boring creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    Ted Turner said it best: "The human race is a cancer upon the planet Earth".
    Benign cancer possibly. We might be able to alter the earth slightly like say Strip mining, controlling water via dams, etc. But I honestly haven't seen a way we can kill the earth yet. Even animal's are living at Chernobyl again and the gulf of mexico isn't a dead ocean, despite our scenarist best efforts yet.

Also as what other's said it's true. We get desensitized about death of humans since we justify their deaths. He/she had stage 4 cancer, that one was a criminal, that guy took the last chocolate milk in 4th grade, he dumped me, I honestly din't know him/her so why should I care?

I think these are justified on some level.

[QUOTE=Fire2box;the gulf of mexico isn't a dead ocean, despite our scenarist best efforts yet[/QUOTE]

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Zone_(ecology)

Just a scratch....admitedly this ain't oil but overpopulation and irresponsible farming practices, but a dead fish is a dead fish.