Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: King Barry is trying to court the gays early

Default King Barry is trying to court the gays early

It looks like our King is starting election season early. Here we see him kissing ass to the gays again. He did this to get elected, and then left us in the dust. Part of me wishes we were smarter this time around, but most of us will fall in line because most gays hate repbulicrats... What do yall think?

DOMA, Defense of Marriage Act: Obama administration shifts stance on gay marriage - latimes.com

I think he is following through on an election promise. When he first took office, he had a lot more pressing problems, that being the destruction of not only our economy, but also the world economy. He also inherited two stupid wars. Now he is simply expanding out to more of his original platform. He's simply following through on his ideology, and the election is more than a year and a half away. I think civil unions are long overdue, and I admire his courage to go against what may be a majority mindset.

I'm with Dogboy. There was a lot of stuff that got put on hold, as horrible as that sounds, to deal with the other concerns that were more widespread.

Me, I'm just glad they're finally starting to do away with this stupid crap. It's about time.

There's also a lot of stupid politicking that has to go on for this. Red tape and all that. :P It's the checks and balances at work though, so I can't be too upset. Everything has to run by everyone else before it can go ahead.

Barack Obama spent the first two years of his presidency ignoring major culture war issues, in favor of stretching out every ounce of political capital on major domestic issues. Hence, we got the PPACA, Dodd-Frank, stimulus, and a bevy of smaller but notable legislative achievements, while taking forever on DADT, which had 70%+ public support and was on track to get tossed by the courts in the next few years anyway.

Now, in light of the fact that he doesn't have the votes to score big domestic achievements, he's fighting the culture wars administratively. It's smart politics - it's going to yield pretty much the same results he'd of gotten had he done it two years ago, without the collateral damage to his legislative agenda. Moreover, opening up culture war battles potentially gives him bargaining chips in the coming budget showdowns.

The thing is, we are getting action on this. Yes, it's politics as usual, it's sure better than doing nothing. I think the OP is reading this the wrong way - rather than be bitter, be happy that it's getting done.

All people should be allowed to equally screw up their lives and suffer greatly for it.

I am in favor of marriage. Marriage means a loving, caring, intimate relationship between two consenting adults who want to interweave lives. Man-man, man-woman, woman-woman, pre-op-post-op, etc.

No surprises.

I'll say the same thing I said when he first announced his candidacy. Nice guy, means well, clueless on foreign policy, hopelessly naive on economics and domestic policy. He has no beliefs or standards to call his own, so he flutters in the political breeze.

crazykittensmile

Quote Originally Posted by Locutus2k View Post
    It looks like our King is starting election season early. Here we see him kissing ass to the gays again. He did this to get elected, and then left us in the dust. Part of me wishes we were smarter this time around, but most of us will fall in line because most gays hate repbulicrats... What do yall think?
    America has a king!? Woah, I did not know that.

Butterfly Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Locutus2k View Post

DOMA, Defense of Marriage Act: Obama administration shifts stance on gay marriage - latimes.com
    What I think is that you made an incredibly ignorant and arrogant statement.

If anything, *PRESIDENT* Obama (duly elected in accordance with the Constitution) is about two years LATE in honoring his campaign promises to the GLBT community. It's better late than never.

GLBTs don't hate Republicans. You might have heard of the Log Cabin Republicans. By contrast, the fundamentalist Christian Right has co-opted the a big chunk of the GOP and they most certainly hate gays. You don't hear about gays wishing for Republicans to be jailed, exterminated, or "converted" to Democrat. By contrast, you hear about Republicans suggesting that gays be jailed, exterminated, or "converted" to straight all the time.

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    No surprises.

I'll say the same thing I said when he first announced his candidacy. Nice guy, means well, clueless on foreign policy, hopelessly naive on economics and domestic policy. He has no beliefs or standards to call his own, so he flutters in the political breeze.
    Nicely put. It leaves out all the mean negative words that most want to use. Yet you get the point across very well and without stooping to a level of name calling (although he has done things to deserve it, but as they say in the military, when you have THAT big of a problem, you respect the position, not the man) I know Obama is a hot button topic in many places (not just online forums). But it is good to see that there are places where people can voice their opinions, without going into tasteless name calling. Good job guys I'm proud of you all on this

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    No surprises.

This is ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by dlCherub View Post
    Nicely put. It leaves out all the mean negative words that most want to use. Yet you get the point across very well and without stooping to a level of name calling (although he has done things to deserve it, but as they say in the military, when you have THAT big of a problem, you respect the position, not the man) I know Obama is a hot button topic in many places (not just online forums). But it is good to see that there are places where people can voice their opinions, without going into tasteless name calling. Good job guys I'm proud of you all on this
    This is ironic as well.

Maxx takes the occasion to take a generalized pot-shot at Obama on generic headings that cover everything, going far and beyond the issue at hand, and then receives a compliment for doing it without calling Obama names in the process?

Look, this is a thread about gay rights. Using it to put in a blurb about Obama being naive about economic and foreign policy issues is absurdly petty and essentially off-topic; if you want to debate Obama's overall job performance, make a generalized thread on it rather than clogging one on a highly specific issue.