Thread: Big Time!

Default Big Time!

A big part of my baby play hinges upon size; the size of the things surrounding me. I think that a lot of us have the idea that in order to feel smaller and younger, our "stuff" should be bigger than normal size. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense: if I am a baby, then the items I use should be proportionately bigger than normal. I have often toyed with the idea of making larger sized baby toys, but of course, I haven't the room, materials or skills to do so.

I think the first time I thought about this was when I got my first diaper bag. It was a Pooh design and had lots of things for a new baby. This included a rattle that I was very excited about, until I actually held it in my hands. It was so small compared to my hands that it kind of ruined the illusion of my being a small baby. And since, I've run into that problem many times with things like bottles and pacifiers and such. But it's the toys that really get me. I feel like the toys I play with should be the same size to me as they would be to an actual baby, and there's really not much out there.

So, as AB's, we now have such wonderful things available to us as diapers, plastic pants, clothing, cribs and other furniture, all at sizes appropriate to ours. But it begs the question: what would you like to see "biggified" in relation to your AB play?

I have a whole list of things in my head, but I don't want to take everybody's ideas. So I'll start things off by admitting that I would love to have a large rattle, like the old style "ball on a stick" kind, you know? Also, as I mentioned in another thread, I'd love to have a big coloring book. It would be a little bigger than a road atlas, and would come with big ol' crayons too.

As a side note, if anyone knows where to get stuff that people mention in this thread, please shout out.

Thanks for listening,
    Lil Marky

alright i was poking around after i read this and i did find some quite large coloring books Really Big Coloring Books and SuperJumbo Giant Coloring Books Free Shipping they look to be about as big as a road atlas and as thick as a harry potter book...also on the large rattle id just poke around, ive found like a disney princess sissy rattle before thats huge but i dont think thats really what youre looking for. you could also just make your own rattle, get a clear acrylic ball thats hollow and drill a hole in it, fill it with some rattley things then glue the stick of choice inside the hole and then decorate via your choice

for a rattle you could always use a maracca (idk if i spelled that right?) and just paint it differently. The do make fairly big sized crayons as well, if anything you could make your own of those as well, by melting down regular crayons and molding them to how you like? Or the even have these crayola crayon/markers/paintbrushes made for babies just gaining motor skills, they have animals surrounding the coloring part, you can find these at walmart, target anywhere really. Hope this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleAyria View Post
    alright i was poking around after i read this and i did find some quite large coloring books Really Big Coloring Books and SuperJumbo Giant Coloring Books Free Shipping they look to be about as big as a road atlas and as thick as a harry potter book...also on the large rattle id just poke around, ive found like a disney princess sissy rattle before thats huge but i dont think thats really what youre looking for. you could also just make your own rattle, get a clear acrylic ball thats hollow and drill a hole in it, fill it with some rattley things then glue the stick of choice inside the hole and then decorate via your choice
    You can actually buy giant colouring books like that pretty much anywhere. I bought one at my local Meijer (big box store comparable to Wal-Mart and Target that's very prevalent in Michigan).

As for a rattle, that would be an interesting woodworking project! I'd have to buy a lathe, though.

If I could have anything biggified, I would want an adult-sized car seat. They make special-needs seats that will fit large teens or small adults, but those look like special needs seats. I want an actual adult baby car seat. Also, a walker!

A teddy bear! They already exist, I need to get me one.

But I feel you on the toys OP, like a big train, the size really matters.

I would like to find some of those larger lego-esque building blocks that I used to have as a kid. I think they still make them? I'll have to poke around walmart the next time im there.

-Ron

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    If I could have anything biggified, I would want an adult-sized car seat. They make special-needs seats that will fit large teens or small adults, but those look like special needs seats. I want an actual adult baby car seat. Also, a walker!
    I know what you mean, X. I have run across the same thing when looking at adult stollers. A walker would be cool forr sure, as you don't need anyone to push you around like you would a stroller.

Unfortunately, the reality is that even if we could get these items proportionately sized, they would be impossible to use without a giant person to help us in. Which is a thought that makes me laugh. Ha.

Seriously, though, thanks so far for your wishes and directions. Keep 'em coming, folks! And don't be afraid to dream BIG!

---------- Post added at 08:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbeast View Post
    I would like to find some of those larger lego-esque building blocks that I used to have as a kid. I think they still make them? I'll have to poke around walmart the next time im there.

-Ron
    Are you talking about Duplo, Ron? I think they are still around. And that makes me think about the giant cardboard bricks I had when i was a kid. They were about the size of a shoebox and came in brick or red/white/blue pattern, which all my friends had. And what about Lincoln Logs and Tinker Toys? I would think that any woodworker could make some big versions of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbeast View Post

-Ron
    They do still make them. They're called "Duplo" if I'm thinking of the right size. There's another size that's even bigger but they don't really resemble Lego anymore.

As to the topic, if I could 'biggify' something, it would probably be a playpen. They're kind of difficult to find/buy in the style that I want. (You can get the old school wooden ones, which is nice, but I'm talking about the folding padded ones with mesh sides. )

Either that or invent a shrink ray that would shrink me down. :P

Get one of those giant stuff animals on the board walk! I have this huge frog. Has to be at least 5 feet tall stretched out fully, it's amazing for diaper time :P. If you're not board walk game material like myself, you can get them at certain toy stores i believe. I got mine when i was really a toddler so i wouldn't know a exact store. I'll look around you for if your interested. Good luck on your quest!