Thread: Windows server 2003 active directory server roles

Default Windows server 2003 active directory server roles

So I am working on a take home final for my windows server 03 class. Here is the question
    5. ____________________________________ is the process by which domain controllers update each other in close to real time.

For the life of me I can't find the name of the process, in my book or through Google. Anybody here know?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Powderhair View Post
    So I am working on a take home final for my windows server 03 class. Here is the question
    5. ____________________________________ is the process by which domain controllers update each other in close to real time.

For the life of me I can't find the name of the process, in my book or through Google. Anybody here know?

Thanks
    ... replication?

Quote Originally Posted by The Folks at Microsoft
    Replication Latency
    Multimaster replication involves latency the period of time for an update that occurs on the originating domain controller to reach all other domain controllers that need it. To address replication latency, multimaster replication ensures loose consistency with convergence, as follows:

Loose consistency means that the replicas are not guaranteed to be consistent with each other at any particular point in time because changes can originate from any replica at any time.

Convergence means that if the system is allowed to reach a steady state in which no new updates are occurring and all previous updates have been completely replicated, all replicas of the same directory partition are guaranteed to converge on the same set of values.

With multimaster replication, it is not necessary for every domain controller to replicate with every other domain controller. Instead, the system implements a robust set of connections that determines which domain controllers replicate to which other domain controllers to ensure that networks are not overloaded with replication traffic and that replication latency is not so long that it inconveniences users. The set of connections through which changes are replicated to domain controllers in an enterprise is called the replication topology.

Although it involves latency, multimaster update capability provides high availability of write access to directory objects because several servers can contain writable copies of an object. Each domain controller in the domain can accept updates independently, without communicating with other domain controllers. Active Directory replication resolves any conflicts that occur when multiple updates are made to a single directory object.
    (from What Is the Active Directory Replication Model?: Active Directory)

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    I came across this answer as well, and wasn't sure if it is what I was looking for. But after getting away from the test for a few days this answer seems to make sense.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Powderhair View Post
    I came across this answer as well, and wasn't sure if it is what I was looking for. But after getting away from the test for a few days this answer seems to make sense.
    Thanks
    This was actually answered off the top of my head. I then went to see if I was completely off, and it doesn't appear so.

Glad it somewhat helped, perhaps. :P

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    This was actually answered off the top of my head. I then went to see if I was completely off, and it doesn't appear so.

Glad it somewhat helped, perhaps. :P
    We shall see when I get my final result, that dang question drove me nuts.

From having done some work on Windows server, replication would also have been my gut guess. The thing is, I've dealt repeatedly with situations where one or two of the backup domain controllers weren't present (I was virtualizing a production environment for testing purposes), and to say that the word "replication" (usually followed by "failed") came up over and under statment.

Hope it's the right answer

Yup, if I remember correctly from my MOC 2K3 server classes it was replication between the DC's.