Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kid murder's mother after she takes the Playstation away.

Default Kid murder's mother after she takes the Playstation away.

I am a video gamer, I like some violent video games, some of them being over the top too. But I never once though about doing anything like this.

Teenage Boy Murders Mother Over PlayStation

The kid attacked his mother with a claw hammer which didn't kill her and tried to cremate her in the oven, also didn't kill her. he then beat her head in with a chair leg and hid her body in a ally behind the house under garbage.

This is the 2nd most sadistic act I heard of this week, even though this took place late last year. I think this was a sick event and sadly only cast's fear and hatred towards the gaming community and is ammo for people like Jack Thompson and anyone else who would love nothing more then to destory the gaming industry or at least the games that can be considered violent.

Seriously, there's no point for crimes like this to take place, they don't solve anything and seriously damage creditability for gamers and humanity as a whole.

Well after all that I could at least give you a good song to listen to.

AndrewThatsMyName

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWW! That is one dumbass kid.

Just stupid.....

It takes some degree of severe mental instability to commit an act like that in American culture.

With that said, seeing as he has proven to be the type of person that would resort to such violence over such a trivial matter, I say lock him up and keep him locked up. He clearly has proven himself to be a danger to others with his actions - anybody who has a functional set of brain cells would probably realise that the video games had a completely neutral role in this situation. Such violence does not come from the simple act of taking the games away - chances are something else would have been the catalyst for those actions if there was no such thing as video games.

This is incredibly tragic, seeing as a woman suffered a horrible death and a matricidal son is going to have to live with that for the rest of his life, whether he realises it yet or not. Kids and teenagers often do incredibly brutal things without thinking about consequences, even though those actions are rarely as atrocious as these ones were. Placing blame on video games is not going to stop things like this from happening.

Rain69

Thats some crazy stuff and your right it does destroy the credibility of good games and companies so sad

Quote Originally Posted by KaworuVsDrWily View Post
    Placing blame on video games is not going to stop things like this from happening.
    We've been doing that for about twenty years...

And many, many more decades before then with movies and that crazy rock and roll music. Oh, and don't forget jazz. The devil's music, I tell you!

I keep hoping that eventually someone will figure exactly what you said there, but there's a bit of a hundred-year precedent or so which makes me fairly pessimistic .

Quote Originally Posted by Draugr View Post
    We've been doing that for about twenty years...

And many, many more decades before then with movies and that crazy rock and roll music. Oh, and don't forget jazz. The devil's music, I tell you!

I keep hoping that eventually someone will figure exactly what you said there, but there's a bit of a hundred-year precedent or so which makes me fairly pessimistic .
    Actually, the practice of blaming neutral objects and neutral content for atrocious acts has been happening since long before Biblical times. It's not a trend that just came up a hundred years ago.

Nat682

It takes some degree of severe mental instability to commit an act like that in American culture.
    What do you mean by "in American culture"? I think all cultures would find this to be extremely abhorrent and unacceptable, except maybe a few west Asian ones. I personally think that the American culture condones violence more than others, but definitely not to this degree.

Needless to say, that kid has major mental problems. Far worse than I could have ever imagined. I'm just stunned by the actions of that boy. What provoked him to do such a thing? Was it extreme ADD? A momentary memory lapse? A major confusion of ideas? General stupidity? I honestly don't want to know. This story is...horrifying.

I agree, he should be jailed for a long time. This has nothing to do with video games. Lack of video games is a small problem, and removal of this privilege is a very common punishment in millions of households. Murder, on the other hand, is a huge problem. Was this boy not able to use basic reasoning skills to analyze the situation?

Saying that it is common for kids and teenagers to thoughtlessly do incredibly brutal violent things is incorrect. Although teenagers are frequently violent (being a middle-schooler, I'm a first-hand witness to that), nothing a typically or even below typically teenager does is anywhere near as horrible as what this boy did. It would have taken a complete lack of self-control for this boy to even seriously think about doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat682 View Post
    What do you mean by "in American culture"? I think all cultures would find this to be extremely abhorrent and unacceptable, except maybe a few west Asian ones. I personally think that the American culture condones violence more than others, but definitely not to this degree.

Saying that it is common for kids and teenagers to thoughtlessly do incredibly brutal violent things is incorrect. Although teenagers are frequently violent (being a middle-schooler, I'm a first-hand witness to that), nothing a typically or even below typically teenager does is anywhere near as horrible as what this boy did. It would have taken a complete lack of self-control for this boy to even seriously think about doing this.
    What I meant by that is the opposite of what you got out of it - there are many cultures in the world that would not even bat an eyelid at acts of violence that are this brutal. I should have said, "in any first-world country" instead of "in American culture".

And it is common for many kids and teenagers to do incredibly brutal things. Because none of the other schools in my local district wanted to take a student with a developmental disability as severe as mine was, I spent my middle-school years at a school full of students who were constantly in and out of the legal system. Yeah, that crowd was much more brutal than the usual middle-school setting.

I should have said "many" instead of making that blanket statement, though.

Actually, the practice of blaming neutral objects and neutral content for atrocious acts has been happening since long before Biblical times. It's not a trend that just came up a hundred years ago.
    Indeed. During the 18th century, there was just as much condemnation heaped on novels. Moral panics come and go, and the saddest thing is that people never recognise that they are going through the exact same pattern of paranoia as the previous generation. During the 80's, it was satanists and violent videos, today it's paedophiles and violent video games.

At the end of the day, I'm not interested in whatever theory is flavour of the month in cognitive behavioural research - only in the empirical evidence. And given how long violent games have been mainstream, if there was any meaningful link between them and violent behaviour, horrific events stuch as this would be sufficiently commonplace that they would have lost most of their power to shock. Acts like this draw attention precisely because they are so vanishingly rare - the commonplace isn't news.
    Last edited by Akastus; 21-Feb-2011 at 10:24.

Over a playstation? What the f?

I'm about to freely speak my mind in a moment, so I'll end it there.