Thread: best buy and pre-orders

Default best buy and pre-orders

So I went into best buy today to pre-order Killzone 3 assuming that I could just pay off the game so I wouldn't have to make sure and save cash to pay the rest of the balance on Tuesday. When I get there I was first told to go to customer service.... Then told from customer service to just go up to checkout.....Then told from checkout to go to the "pre-order" station.... Now at this "station" you select the game you want to pre-order and it prints out a receipt, then you use the receipt to checkout with.

Now after finding all of this out I also asked the salesman/rep that showed me how to use it if I select how much to pay at this "station" or if you figure it out up at the checkout.... he rudely told me you can only pay $5 and I asked why I couldn't just pay it in full and he said it was because "it was a pre-release purchase" and if I wanted I could buy a gift card and buy the game online insted of just paying $5 and he walked off making me feel like a douche for asking a question.

So now on Tuesday I have to pay off the game when I go pick it up. Now I know its kinda dumb for me to complain about this sort of thing, but they are really slacking compared to Gamestop in this area since at Gamestop I can pay on the game whenever I please before the games release or pay it off completely. I thought going to Best buy would be easy since I usually go there to buy CD's. But it was such a frustration......

Quote Originally Posted by cweezy928 View Post
    I thought going to Best buy would be easy since I usually go there to buy CD's.
    You can actually find the CD's of the bands you listen to at Best Buy? Wow. The Best Buy closest to me has one 20 ft. shelf section dedicated to music. That's it. Every genre of music available is confined to 20 ft. of shelf space. It's almost as bad as trying to find a CD of your favorite artist at a local Wal-Mart.

Judging by that alone, I conclude that buying physical copies of music is going the way of the dinosaur so to speak with the emergence of Itunes, digital downloads, and illegal file sharing.

Unless someone is trying to pick up the latest Lady Gaga/Nickelback/Taylor Swift/Lil' Wayne album, it's hopeless. If the band you listen to is less than A-list, forget it. I guess it's the price I pay for listening to bands from Norway, Sweden, Finland, Britain, The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, and Canada. *sigh* I wish I was from Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by bomb851 View Post
    Judging by that alone, I conclude that buying physical copies of music is going the way of the dinosaur so to speak with the emergence of Itunes, digital downloads, and illegal file sharing.
    For me I don't really think its like that. I would much rather have physical copies of my albums. I've done the download thing and it really doesn't bring me the joy the album art and the actual copy of the cd does. But it does suck when you cant find albums in stores of bands who are not as big as jimmy eat world or a white stripes.

You can actually find the CD's of the bands you listen to at Best Buy? Wow. The Best Buy closest to me has one 20 ft. shelf section dedicated to music. That's it. Every genre of music available is confined to 20 ft. of shelf space. It's almost as bad as trying to find a CD of your favorite artist at a local Wal-Mart.

Unless someone is trying to pick up the latest Lady Gaga/Nickelback/Taylor Swift/Lil' Wayne album, it's hopeless. If the band you listen to is less than A-list, forget it. I guess it's the price I pay for listening to bands from Norway, Sweden, Finland, Britain, The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, and Canada. *sigh* I wish I was from Europe.
    Nickelback is from Canada... so your point is invalid. Future Shop (a subsidiary of Best Buy in Canada, though we actually have both) has basically the same setup for CDs. The weird thing is, I found a local band there: Hail the Villain. I had been listening to them for a year before they even released their album, yet I found it at Future Shop. You'd be surprised some of the things that get stocked. It's more random than popular-only. In fact, a lot of the popular artists weren't there. They just take whatever. No one goes there to buy CDs, and they know it.

Quote Originally Posted by cweezy928 View Post
    For me I don't really think its like that. I would much rather have physical copies of my albums. I've done the download thing and it really doesn't bring me the joy the album art and the actual copy of the cd does. But it does suck when you cant find albums in stores of bands who are not as big as jimmy eat world or a white stripes.
    Oh, on the contrary. Like yourself, I too would much rather have a physical copy of the album. After all, how distasteful would it be to show up to your favorite band's meet & greet and ask the band to sign your 700 MB Memorex CD-R that you scribbled "John's Mix" on?

I was trying to say that the increased use of digital downloading and illegal file sharing has led to a decrease in CD sales. Thus the decrease in CD sales leads to less physical CD availability.

After all, how distasteful would it be to show up to your favorite band's meet & greet and ask the band to sign your 700 MB Memorex CD-R that you scribbled "John's Mix" on?
    HAHAHAHA that image just made my night. But I totally know what you mean. Like Brand New said a few times that they don"t really see the point in releasing albums if they don't do physical releases and that they might just put out like a song or two a month (I hope it doesn't happen). But I fear that one day I'll be treasure hunting on amazon to find used copies of albums instead of purchasing it new