Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Study Tips for foreign language

Dwhite

Default Study Tips for foreign language

Well the title says it all.
    I have not doing very well in the class, it is my worst grade right now and it is mainly because of my horrible test grades. So any tips to make studying more helpful, easier, useful, anything. Just as long as it helps.
    Thanks.

Well Spanish was one of my harder classes in high school. What helped me some was immersion. Watch tv in the language you are studying. And more importantly speak to others in that language. It really helps if you can find a native speaker. If one isn't available then have conversions in the foreign language with your classmates.

It might help a bit if you can identify why you're having trouble with the language. What works for problems in grasping grammar and syntax isn't necessarily as useful for not being able to learn vocabulary.
    As a sort of panacea, talk to the instructor, maybe she can suggest something to help.

I learned Russian, and use to be fluent in it. Not something I keep up on right now.

I found that I set a goal to memorize so many words a day, and attempt to memorize a passage, or poem from a book. Songs work well too. Eventually you come across certain repeated words, and slowly start using the correct grammer.

BuffaloWilly

yeah im 14 ive been taking spanish all my life. once you have all the main nouns you are definatly not good. spanish, or any language, has that thing where you have to cogregate the verbs which is pretty tough. however there is the same pattern for every verb. the most common is verbs ending in ar. this is how you congregate them i will use cocinar, to cook as an example. yo-cocino. tu-coninas. el, ella or usted-cocina. nosotros-cocinamos. ellos ellas or ustedes-cocinan

While I'm not accusing you of this, my first thought is read the book and practice, practice, and practice. Learning a foreign language is very much a "use it or lose it" matter. Either way, Traemo is right, talk to your instructor!

Peachy

First step: Get the grammar down. That means poking your nose into books and getting a hang of the grammar. Improper grammar can easily screw up sentences and meanings and make you offend people instead of saying something friendly.

Second step: Start reading newspapers / websites in that language. The internet is a fantastic thing about this: You don't have to pay anything to read proper texts in any language...a quick google search gives you enough resources for life.

Third step: Start talking to native speakers of that language, either locally, or on the internet.

Important requirement: Don't be shy when talking to other people in that language. They'll notice that you're not a native speaker anyway, so there's no point hiding it. Just tell them not to constantly correct you. That not only breaks up the flow of conversation, they also won't know the grammar rules and may teach you a local accent or colloquial language instead of proper talking. I know that I can tell you all English grammar rules but know jack squat about what rules exist in German...I just do the grammar right by instinct.

Peachy

nimimerkki702

I used to have ad grades on swedish, but when I decided to improve them, I started paying close attention in class, doing my homework carefully and for the tests I would read for 3 days before the test. And now my grades arent that low anymore

Dwhite

Quote Originally Posted by Traemo View Post
    It might help a bit if you can identify why you're having trouble with the language. What works for problems in grasping grammar and syntax isn't necessarily as useful for not being able to learn vocabulary.
    As a sort of panacea, talk to the instructor, maybe she can suggest something to help.
    My main issue is long term memorization of what we learn. I have no issue with worksheets or class work and thats what keeping my grade from falling any deeper than a C+.

If it's memorisation you're having trouble with then there's only one way to solve it - practice more.

Set aside time every day to go back over something you did last week, last month, last year. Keep going back over them again and again and again and again until they're so ingrained in your memory you can do it in your sleep.