Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Dead Island

  1. #1

    Default Dead Island



    Supposedly, it's a sandbox zombie first-person shooter RPG hybrid with 4 player drop in and out co-op. I read a little bit about it, and it's apparently been in development for a few years. Honestly, this game looks amazing.

    Quote from Wikipedia:


    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    * The game features a sandbox style gameplay on a tropical island.
    * The zombie style and the story are massively influenced by George A. Romero's movies.
    * The game is focused on melee combat, the player can pick up almost anything and use it as a weapon.
    * There are multiple playable characters.
    * 4 Player drop in/out Co-Op
    This looks like a game I want to play.
    Last edited by ShiningFire; 17-Feb-2011 at 02:20. Reason: Fixed post

  2. #2

    Default

    Buddy of mine dropped me that video earlier tonight, it's just eerie. Though I do love me some zombie killing and fancy myself something of a post apocalyptic survivalist expert, so I'm looking forward to it.

  3. #3

    Default

    I really miss Die By the Sword. The controls were horribly difficult, but it would let you hack off limbs, and your opponents would have to adjust accordingly. Hack off a leg? Well, they're moving more slowly. Hack off both legs? Well, then they're wobbling around on the ground.

    I do like the concept of "open-ended weapons." I just hope that a game goes back to scoring hits and damage in a way that a 1997/1998 game (DBTS) did. : /

  4. #4

    Default

    This game was announced YEAAAAARS ago...

    But it never got big. Is it just now starting back up? Because I have been eager.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshinori View Post
    This game was announced YEAAAAARS ago...

    But it never got big. Is it just now starting back up? Because I have been eager.
    Yeah, it's finally being developed, and there are screenshots up at deadisland.com Not sure how legit they are, but if that's what the game looks like, it'll be pretty awesome.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by ShiningFire View Post
    Yeah, it's finally being developed, and there are screenshots up at deadisland.com Not sure how legit they are, but if that's what the game looks like, it'll be pretty awesome.
    Deadisland.com is finally up, too?

    I was so afraid the game was going to be cancelled. I want it. Badly.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshinori View Post
    Deadisland.com is finally up, too?

    I was so afraid the game was going to be cancelled. I want it. Badly.
    I'll be really mad if they do. From the look of the trailer, it seems to have an emotional feel to it. Much different then current zombie games, where you either survive or just kill zombies. No one focuses on what it's like dealing with loved ones, wifes, husbands, kids, brothers, sisters ect ect. I mean, they get featured, but you generally don't care about them at all, or just kinda hope they die because they are just pathetically stupid/useless. My opinion anyways.

  8. #8
    nimimerkki702

    Default

    I just saw the trailer before i got here I really hope it's going to be good... But I don't like the fact that it's mostly melee... I prefer my zombie games included with many guns :P Also this reminds me of Dead Rising (2).

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by ShiningFire View Post
    I'll be really mad if they do. From the look of the trailer, it seems to have an emotional feel to it. Much different then current zombie games, where you either survive or just kill zombies. No one focuses on what it's like dealing with loved ones, wifes, husbands, kids, brothers, sisters ect ect. I mean, they get featured, but you generally don't care about them at all, or just kinda hope they die because they are just pathetically stupid/useless. My opinion anyways.
    How do you add emotion to a zombie game without the other person feeling useless and/or annoying? Honestly, I'd like to hear a way that you could do this. And... wait, what kind of zombie is not about surviving and/or killing zombies? That's kind of WHY people buy zombie games. If you're looking for an emotionally gripping story, zombie games are not the best place to go looking for them. The reason to use zombies in a video game is simple: you want a game where you can kill MANY enemies that will be as weak/weaker than humans, but of much lesser intelligence. Rather than come up with a a crazy reason that it's suddenly okay to commit mass murder with no regard to the person's previous life, zombies provide a simple "they are no longer who they used to be, and it's them or us" for the player. The primary focus of a zombie game is almost ALWAYS to kill as many zombies as you can, because sheer number is the only thing that they have to their advantage. Even in Left 4 Dead it gives you a counter of how many kills, headshots, revives, etc. you had once you got to the "end".

    I was kind of sad over Bill dying in Left 4 Dead (2? Not really sure. It was an expansion that was sort of a crossover). He was a character I liked to use, and I was sad that they killed him off in the plot. It wasn't a BIG deal to me, he was just my personal favourite. When it came down to it, it was really just a choice of skin. It didn't really affect me in any way. On the other side, Dead Rising 2 has the main character's daughter that you need to give Zombrex to. You know what? No. I don't care. I bought a zombie game to kill zombies, not for a fetch quest daily. If I wanted that, I 'd play WoW.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by nimimerkki702 View Post
    I just saw the trailer before i got here I really hope it's going to be good... But I don't like the fact that it's mostly melee... I prefer my zombie games included with many guns :P Also this reminds me of Dead Rising (2).
    That makes it so easy though! Throw me in with a ton of guns with ammo lying around everywhere! How tense is that?

    Don't get me wrong, I love games like L4D and similar games, but unless you're playing on a high difficulty, then there really isn't any feeling of urgency to it. Even in Dead Rising 2, the unrealistic (Though fun) weapon combos take away from that feeling of "hey, there's dead people coming after you, and they are gonna eat ya!" That up close and personal feeling of zombies coming at you and you and your trusty (Insert melee weapon here) are the only thing to stop them isn't there in any of these newer games. Sure, guns are nice, but probably not as widely available as games make them out to be, especially on a resort island (Though there has to be some.)

    Just my opinion though.. I want a survival horror game, not an action game with zombies in it.

Similar Threads

  1. Rhodes Island Newcomer
    By johntuna in forum Greetings / Introductions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2010, 18:13
  2. Island DL
    By Siddy in forum Greetings / Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-Oct-2008, 03:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.