Thread: Data Transfer Question

Default Data Transfer Question

I recently had to get a "new" X-Box, since mine had some issues with reading the games at all!! My question is, how do I transfer all the save data I have on my old X-Box, plus all the music I copied to the hard drive from the old one to the one I just got? Memory cards can not store the music on it, too much there for it to handle!!
    Last edited by Icey; 17-Feb-2011 at 05:38.

Akastus, thanks, but it is not a 360 I am talking about, it is the original X-Box!! The games that I have didn't get up-converted to be able to play on the 360, so I still played with my X-Box quite often!! Do you know if what you are talking about would work with a X-Box?

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Akastus, thanks, but it is not a 360 I am talking about, it is the original X-Box!! The games that I have didn't get up-converted to be able to play on the 360, so I still played with my X-Box quite often!! Do you know if what you are talking about would work with a X-Box?
    The original Xbox didn't have a particularly accessible HDD, as I recall, but since it did use standard PC hardware, if you can pull the drive out, you might be able to access it like a conventional HDD. Don't know if the file structure would be readable though.
    Last edited by Akastus; 16-Feb-2011 at 08:37.

Well, if you want your music and non-transferable saves, unfortunately the solution is far more difficult. It basically involves modifying both Xboxes (which can be done though certain games, including the non "Game of the Year" copy of Mech Assault and a special save that can be copied to a memory card) which will allow you to FTP between both directly copying the files from the original Xbox, to your PC, then to your new Xbox.

I seriously doubt you want to go down that route as its pretty risky, especially if you don't know what your doing with it. Sadly Microsoft didn't think of problems like this until the Xbox 360 with its removable HDD (and transfer cable).

Quote Originally Posted by DA360 View Post
    Well, if you want your music and non-transferable saves, unfortunately the solution is far more difficult. It basically involves modifying both Xboxes (which can be done though certain games, including the non "Game of the Year" copy of Mech Assault and a special save that can be copied to a memory card) which will allow you to FTP between both directly copying the files from the original Xbox, to your PC, then to your new Xbox.

I seriously doubt you want to go down that route as its pretty risky, especially if you don't know what your doing with it. Sadly Microsoft didn't think of problems like this until the Xbox 360 with its removable HDD (and transfer cable).
    Unfortunately true. On examination, it appears that there is no way to do this without modding both Xboxes - the older to unlock and read the hard drive, the newer to unlock and write to the hard drive. It might actually be easier to fix the old Xbox by just sticking the disc drive from the new xbox into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Akastus View Post
    Unfortunately true. On examination, it appears that there is no way to do this without modding both Xboxes - the older to unlock and read the hard drive, the newer to unlock and write to the hard drive. It might actually be easier to fix the old Xbox by just sticking the disc drive from the new xbox into it.
    Yea, though for transferring the files, you don't need to unlock the hard drives. Infact, unless you have a mod chip the LAST thing you want to do is unlock the HDD as it will stop booting. But if your OK with taking apart things, then yea, it would be easier just to swap out the DVD-ROM drive (which like allot of parts in the Xbox, was pretty much an IDE DVD-ROM drive, just with a specialized power cable).

Also, yes, I modified my original Xbox back in the day ^^;.

I guess what I'll have to do is copy all the music again & the game save data that I can't transfer, just replay the games from the start!! It'll be ok, if I have to start all over again!! Thanks for all the help, DA360 & Akastus!! ^_^