Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cr-48

Default Cr-48

Time to let out my inner nerd! Is there anyone here with a CR-48? If so, what do you like or dislike about it? What are your plans for it? Is Linux, MacOS, or Windows in it's future?

AndrewThatsMyName

Gosh, I don't even know what that is.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThatsMyName View Post
    Gosh, I don't even know what that is.
    It's a Google laptop that runs their ChromeOS.

Sadly, I haven't been selected to receive one, but I'm hoping I do since I registered with the pilot program when they first started taking applications

If I do get one, I'll probably leave it as is even after testing it just because it'd be nice to have a laptop I can let people borrow that won't let them download random crap

Nope. Not into the whole mobile computing/tablet thing yet. I've never even owned a laptop!

I like my massive full tower box with external water cooling and 5 monitors... about as portable as a floor mount concrete safe ;p

But while my lack of interest in mobile is purely functional (I don't need it.. so I'm not interested).. all this "cloud computing" stuff actually puts me off on a fundamental level. I like my data to be on hardware I physically own. Having my stuff "floating around" someone elses system kinda makes me nervous.

I'm hoping that much like every other innovation in tech.. we have a period of rampant overzealous adoption.. followed by a cooling off period where the applications that made sense are kept, and everything else is scrapped.

Well I can honestly say that very little of my data is in the cloud I have a Google Apps account for one of my domains, but there is literally nothing in that account that is of any value to anyone (including myself :P).

I have a couple of gmail accounts that I use for sites like this that I don't want to use my real email on, but I also archive all my emails locally so no danger of losing the few random legit emails I get on those accounts

EDIT: I just realized I should have been more clear on something. I know that the CR-48 is a giant web browser and that it's a given you'll use web based applications. My documents aren't in the "cloud" in sense that they are not stored in places like Google Docs but are instead stored and managed on a server I own using custom software I wrote for the purpose
    Last edited by oreocookie; 16-Feb-2011 at 05:27. Reason: wanted to clarify something I said

PaddedPuppy

Greencat5 has one

I have something similar, which i bought a year or 2 ago, which is designed for cloud computing. The idea is really good, But until you can access the internet from absolutely everywhere, It will have its problems. Being able to keep your files and apps online is really good, Because a less powerful, less expensive computer can be used to do the usual things, And your documents are everywhere as long as you are connected. For machines like that, Linux will always be the main OS for them, as they are lower powered, and free, which brings down the cost too.

When they start selling the CR-48s, i'll be buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    The idea is really good, But until you can access the internet from absolutely everywhere, It will have its problems. Being able to keep your files and apps online is really good, Because a less powerful, less expensive computer can be used to do the usual things, And your documents are everywhere as long as you are connected.
    They actually come with Verizon cellular data service built in, as well as the ability to use a SIM card, which means GSM data as well, AT&T or T-mobile for those in the states.
    Last edited by Dakken; 17-Feb-2011 at 03:18. Reason: fixed the broken quote >.<

PaddedPuppy

But you still can't get a mobile signal everywhere.

It's a dumb terminal, guys.

Sure, it's prettied-up ... but the power is now in the cloud rather than desk-side.

Well if you want to get really technical, it's a read-only Linux distribution, you just have to put it in developer mode to get access to the good stuff :P