Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: community service high school

Default community service high school

In my high school in order for you to be able to graduate you have to do 12 hours of community service wich isnt a lot but I think that its not right that they force us to do it. Well not force but make it so we dont graduate if we do. Some of my friends think its fine that they do and that i am crazy for thinking its not right. Just so you know i am fine and happy with doing community service just not when its a requirement. What do you think about that rule though?

when i was in high school we had to do the same thing for one of my classes that we needed. i believe it was 12 hours over the class period (about 1/2 a school year) and then do a report on it. we all thought it was kind of a stupid project that had nothing to do with the class and a couple of kids ended up not doing it based on that reason.

I ended up splitting my time between 3 projects, working for a place that gave meals to the homeless, a organization that built homes for those that needed them and working at the local animal shelter. after completing the required 12 hours myself and one of my friends continued to work at the house project building the house and the animal shelter walking and taking care of the different animals and had a lot of fun doing it.

to answer your question yes i do believe that the schools should make kids do some community service in order to graduate, it teaches a very important life lesson about caring about other people besides ones self including animals and just a better understanding of humanity in general. it may seem like a pain to have to do this stuff now but i hope that you find a good organization to help for just 12 hours so you and your classmates can see that the world revolves around so much more then ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by woofcub View Post
    when i was in high school we had to do the same thing for one of my classes that we needed. i believe it was 12 hours over the class period (about 1/2 a school year) and then do a report on it. we all thought it was kind of a stupid project that had nothing to do with the class and a couple of kids ended up not doing it based on that reason.

I ended up splitting my time between 3 projects, working for a place that gave meals to the homeless, a organization that built homes for those that needed them and working at the local animal shelter. after completing the required 12 hours myself and one of my friends continued to work at the house project building the house and the animal shelter walking and taking care of the different animals and had a lot of fun doing it.

to answer your question yes i do believe that the schools should make kids do some community service in order to graduate, it teaches a very important life lesson about caring about other people besides ones self including animals and just a better understanding of humanity in general. it may seem like a pain to have to do this stuff now but i hope that you find a good organization to help for just 12 hours so you and your classmates can see that the world revolves around so much more then ourselves
    Well to me its not community service. We are getting paid in a sense, our payment is graduating AND community service should be something you want to do not forced. Thats why i dont want to do it, I know the world doesnt revolve around myself and so do many of my classmates.

What exactly is so meaningful about "it being a requirement" that is so problematic?

It's no less useful to the community just because you have to do it. That it would be more meaningful to you personally if you were doing it of your own accord doesn't take away from the fact that the community could well use the help.

We require 40 hours to graduate. Most people just act as a councillor for a weekend at a summer camp, since the time spent sleeping counts towards hours as they are technically still supervising the children. Other people will help coach their favourite sport for a season. I did an overnight fight against cancer that got me twelve hours per year (Relay for Life). I also did the "Walk a mile in her shoes", which is a fundraiser to support women's rights where men walk a mile in a pair of high heels (it's much harder than it sounds. -_-) and raise money through donations.

Yes, I think that it's a crock that they force community service on people, because my "community service", the first couple years, was to go sleep at a community centre for a night and say that I helped "support" the cause. 95% of the students find a cop out. The ones that coach the sports aren't even really necessary. It's more like "who wants an easy way to get their 40 hours to graduate" (which is actually how most of them get it offered). I don't think I know a single person that did "proper" community service, in the sense that they helped the less fortunate. Things actually kind of work the other way. Jobs pop up for the purpose of earning hours, and they don't really help the community at all.

The few people who actually did something SOMEWHAT helpful, such as the councillors, were usually doing that anyway, they just happen to also get hours for it.

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    What exactly is so meaningful about "it being a requirement" that is so problematic?

It's no less useful to the community just because you have to do it. That it would be more meaningful to you personally if you were doing it of your own accord doesn't take away from the fact that the community could well use the help.
    Why not require all people to spend 12 hours per year doing some form of community service, by law? It's useful to the community, whether or not it's mandatory.
    Still doesn't explain why community service should be a requirement to get a diploma, just because it is useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    Why not require all people to spend 12 hours per year doing some form of community service, by law? It's useful to the community, whether or not it's mandatory.
    Still doesn't explain why community service should be a requirement to get a diploma, just because it is useful.
    Why do we mandate that people go to school in the first place? Presumably, because we feel that a minimum level of education is both a right and confers skills useful to society. Along those lines, it makes sense to require some level of civic involvement as a part of one's basic education.

That said, I'm actually not wildly unopposed to your not-intended-to-be-taken-seriously idea of requiring everyone to be required to put forth some small amount of community service by law.

Different perspective... I went to a school where, after 14, you had to join the combined cadet force (CCF), and spend one afternoon a week in military uniform learning to march. Except... there were about half a dozen kids who managed to do community service instead. I'm not sure how: they could have been Quakers, or had some other grounds of objection. But even they had to do it sixty or seventy hours a year, for four years.

Looked at like that, 12 hours of community service (which you could do in a weekend if you found a decent sized fence to paint) is very little to ask.

Artie

My high school required 80 hours to graduate! I did 12 hours in the span of about two weeks usually and ended up with nearly 600 hours of volunteer work. I see the "requirement" as a way to give you perspective by getting you to do something you normally wouldn't. Plus, it's a good thing to do especially if you're lucky enough to live comfortably. Just find something you enjoy and tie that into the volunteer work to make it fun. For example, I played guitar and drums in the band at my church.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodnites11 View Post
    My high school required 80 hours to graduate! I did 12 hours in the span of about two weeks usually and ended up with nearly 600 hours of volunteer work. I see the "requirement" as a way to give you perspective by getting you to do something you normally wouldn't. Plus, it's a good thing to do especially if you're lucky enough to live comfortably. Just find something you enjoy and tie that into the volunteer work to make it fun. For example, I played guitar and drums in the band at my church.
    Respective on what? Forced labor? community service should be something you want to do not have to do and about the 12 hours thats not what its about it is a small amount of time.

I think what your school is attempting to do is instill an awareness of social needs, and broaden student views of 'community'. While it sounds as though you already have some civic mindedness, there are likely many of your classmates who need some culture shock.Besides it could be worse, I had to complete a thesis project without any academic advisement for my high school graduation.