Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No more casual gaming?

Default No more casual gaming?

So is it just me, or does it seem that it is more and more difficult these days to be just a casual gamer and not hardcore.

Let me take for example that I consider myself a hardcore gamer when it comes to shooters or racing games, because if I try to just go through non-nonchalant I will get my BUTT handed to me by some 12 year old punk that will then proceed to tell me I suck.

This goes mainly for COD and Mario Kart. You can no longer have just a fun experience without having to go all in and then be considered a "Hardcore" gamer.

yeah I totally agree with you. I consider myself to be a hardcore gamer. Like in Killzone if i dont at least have 2 kills more than deaths its a bad match for me even though I was in beast mode and got a lot of objectives done. That is the best example I can give from a competitive standpoint, since I mostly play single player rpgs. But when it comes to rpgs its kinda the same way Like in ff(any of them) if I cant beat a boss I will hulk up my characters a good ten levels past where they need to be just to crush the boss i was having trouble with.

But your right, If I go into an online game (any online game) and I don't have some kind of pump up music (dubstep has been it for a while lol) and dont get in that super competitive mindset then i get my butt handed to by the very 12 year old you speak of. But just because I am super competitive doesn't mean I am great at every game lolz or that i'm a douche to play with.

I always distinguished hardcore and casual gamers by the games they played, not their skills. A casual gamer, to me, is someone that plays games such as Wii Sports, or Wii Fitness. I'd name The new PS3 and Xbox equivalents, but they are just clones that came out fairly recently, so I never got into them.

A hardcore gamer, then, would be a gamer who plays games that require a degree of skill just to play. In Wii Sports, you can just flail and technically you can "finish" the game, you just don't do well. In a hardcore game, there are consequences for doing poorly (e.g. sent back a few paces for campaign, and spawn time for online).

Your complaint seems to be that you are not good at the games relative to the other players, and therefore you are not having fun. All I can really say is suck it up. You're playing games where the goal is to be better than other people. Obviously there are going to be people who greatly enjoy the material and want to be the best at it. If your issue is that they are telling you that you suck, turn the mic off. You can turn voice chat off in the settings, so it shouldn't affect the game.

If you don't want to play with competitive people, then you probably shouldn't be doing online matchmaking. Have private games with friends of similar skill level than you. The point of playing with strangers is to encounter people that play much different than you expect, and if you don't enjoy losing you should either stop playing in a competitive environement, or get better at the games.

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog View Post
    So is it just me, or does it seem that it is more and more difficult these days to be just a casual gamer and not hardcore.

Let me take for example that I consider myself a hardcore gamer when it comes to shooters or racing games, because if I try to just go through non-nonchalant I will get my BUTT handed to me by some 12 year old punk that will then proceed to tell me I suck.

This goes mainly for COD and Mario Kart. You can no longer have just a fun experience without having to go all in and then be considered a "Hardcore" gamer.
    This is what Pogo is for.

Of course, EA bought them, and we know what EA does to game franchises (I'm looking at YOU, EA, for butchering Westwood Studios and destroying the whole "online" bit!). But thus far, Pogo seems to have escaped reasonably unscathed.

I disagree with you. If you're bad at the game, don't play with people who are better. You don't have to play 16 hours a day (I've done it, it rocks), but you also can't suck and drag the team down with you. When I'm in the gamer game "zone", it's three kills right and left, reload, another few, go up the stairs, knife the guy setting the bomb. If you can't keep up, I'll TK until you leave.

If you want to play games casually, you have to play on your own. Online, or in multiplayer, people try as hard as they can and they don't really want hopeless people on their team.

Quote Originally Posted by Rissy View Post
    If you want to play games casually, you have to play on your own. Online, or in multiplayer, people try as hard as they can and they don't really want hopeless people on their team.
    Wow, that just isn't true at all. In the BFBC2 clan I'm in, we enforce a certain level of "casualness" on our servers. Players that come in and just start raping face or crying and whining that their team sucks get booted. Our objective is fun, so if one or two players are causing the server to depopulate, they're gone. You just gotta find the right group of people to play with.

Welcome to the gaming world, bro. Now, I've been playing FPS games (From PC to Xbox 360) since I was 4 years gold, so roughly 11 or so years. Ever since I was about 4 1/2 - 5 years old, I've been playing competitively. The only thing I'm not 'great' at is CoD Black Ops, but that's because I just got it yesterday or so and I know none of the maps. But, I digress. The point here is that I've been playing games a LONG time, and I'm a very hardcore gamer. I'm also ex-MLG and ex-Gamebattles, but I might be getting back into that sometime soon, if I can put together a decent team.

So, I'm a hardcore gamer, right? Right. I give it my all every game, regardless of what the enemy is throwing at me. Most games, I get between 18-25 kills... in 4 Vs. 4. My K/D ratio overall on the account I'm using now is an averaged 1.47. It's higher and a small bit lower in certain areas (This is in regards to Halo Reach, just FYI.).

The point to all of this? I don't play around when playing Halo, or any other game for that matter. So, when I get into a game and get, say, 23 kills and 7 deaths, right? And a teammate gets, say, 3 kills and 15 deaths, if we lose? It's probably his fault. Whoever was the worst in a game is the person to blame for the loss. Whoever got the lowest K/D ratio is to blame. It's great if you can get 40 kills a game! But if you're responsible for the 45 kills the enemy gets, you're not very good!

The point to this is that when someone else sucks at a game and you're good? And because of THEM you lose? It's not very fair! That said, it's what you get for pugging (going into a game to play with randoms). That said, it's expected that someone, say, with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel or "Hero," will be good enough not to go 3 and 15! If you're picking up a game for the first time, PLAY ON THE CAMPAIGN! Or on reach, maybe some firefight training would do you some good. Learn the weapons, learn the maps, and start holding all of your own weight. I've had games where I've gotten a killing frenzy, a killtackular, and nothing but DMR, Pistol, and Sniper headshots, lost to me because some shmuck on my team continued running at the enemy doing nothing but throwing frags and sticky grenades.

It should be noted that it's MORE than clear that not everyone can be very good at every single game, and it's also clear that it DOES take time to get good at games like Halo or CoD. That said, it's annoying for those of us who're on a 22 win streak to lose because some idiot on our team went 1 and 12. If you're not very good at a game, go and start playing on solo and get better. Look up guides on the internet, learn spawn locations and all that other crap!

Now, a hardcore player is defined as someone who plays roughly 12 hours a week (According to almost every youtube video on this subject I've seen). I play quite a bit more than that, but still. Even if you only play, say, 7 hours a week (1 hour a day), try taking some of that time to run around a map for 15 minutes and see where stuff is! When I was new to console shooters, I sucked at first! But I went on solo, learned the maps, and THEN came back. My knowledge of maps ALONE was able to help me!

And if you're just terrible at the game, don't go for kills! Go for assists! Find someone and stick nearby them, and help them when they start getting shot! There is strength in numbers, and a victory with someone who goes 3 and 5 but has 15 assists is MORE than acceptable!

Personally, I'm having fun when I'm winning. When it's a challenge to win, I'm having even MORE fun! Some people just want to play for the sake of playing... that's not me. If you play for the sake of just playing, stick to something less meaningful, like griffball or Invasion, or Team Objective or Team Slayer! Stay OUT of the Arena people!

-Mikey117

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    Wow, that just isn't true at all. In the BFBC2 clan I'm in, we enforce a certain level of "casualness" on our servers. Players that come in and just start raping face or crying and whining that their team sucks get booted. Our objective is fun, so if one or two players are causing the server to depopulate, they're gone. You just gotta find the right group of people to play with.
    Wow, that's really... well, yeah. Private servers and matchmaking are totally different things! Console gaming, specifically, has a VERY competitive feeling to it. You're setting yourself into an environment where the objective is to win a single match, over and over and over again. If you fail to do this and it's your fault, your team will hate you. Simple as.

If you're a casual clan, that's GREAT! Play casually, you make easier targets for the rest of us to shoot in the face with the DMR. But, don't go into a game like that unless you have a full team! That's really, REALLY unfair to someone trying to win and give it their all!

This is why there are options on Halo Reach like custom games, firefight, and campaign. I don't know too much about BFBC2, but I know that it must have private matches! Since you're talking about your own server, I'll assume it's on the PC... I find it unfair when clans act 'casual', but still aren't 'good' by any description.

There's a difference between playing casually, and playing terribly. Trust me, I know the difference.

Loopygone

Wow Mikeru & grizzy, your posts shows pretty much everything that is wrong with Online gaming at the moment, especially console side. Because I want to have fun, and enjoy my self instead of taking it super seriously, I'm a bad person? Because I don't have the time, or the interest to put more then a few hours a week into each game that I play, I should stay the hell away from ranked slayer matches?

Now, I'm not a bad fps player, I'm not great, due to not playing very often, but once I've learnt a map I can generally hold my own. I do suffer on the console side of things, never being able to get a proper hang of using a controller in an fps (it just feels slow and clunky), but I still try my best. I don't fanny about either. But because I'm not getting 20 kills in a match I shouldn't play? Personally I think console games should of taken a leaf out of PC fps book, and allow people to run their own dedicated servers, this usually means people looking to play and have fun can find a nice friendly server, whilst the butthurt teen superserial players can go and shout at each other down mics elsewhere.

Meh fuck it, I'll stick to team fortress 2, there's no way in hell you can take that seriously, and k/d doesn't matter squat .

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Wow Mikeru & grizzy, your posts shows pretty much everything that is wrong with Online gaming at the moment, especially console side. Because I want to have fun, and enjoy my self instead of taking it super seriously, I'm a bad person? Because I don't have the time, or the interest to put more then a few hours a week into each game that I play, I should stay the hell away from ranked slayer matches?

Now, I'm not a bad fps player, I'm not great, due to not playing very often, but once I've learnt a map I can generally hold my own. I do suffer on the console side of things, never being able to get a proper hang of using a controller in an fps (it just feels slow and clunky), but I still try my best. I don't fanny about either. But because I'm not getting 20 kills in a match I shouldn't play? Personally I think console games should of taken a leaf out of PC fps book, and allow people to run their own dedicated servers, this usually means people looking to play and have fun can find a nice friendly server, whilst the butthurt teen superserial players can go and shout at each other down mics elsewhere.

Meh fuck it, I'll stick to team fortress 2, there's no way in hell you can take that seriously, and k/d doesn't matter squat .
    When people are in, say, ranked matched such as Arena, the MLG playlist, or Hardcore playlists on CoD, there is an expected minimum skill range for all players, by other players. You don't have to have 20 kills a game to play, you just need to be able to hold your own and NOT go 3 and 15.

And here's my question that NOBODY gives me a straight answer to... how is getting killed 2-3 times every minute fun? Why play if 75% of the match is spent on the 'respawning' screen? I don't personally think that's very fun, only spending 25% of a match actually playing!