Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Donate organs/blood

Default Donate organs/blood

I was thinking about donate blood and organ.

This is important, just think about other people with a disease or an illness that need an organ transplant or about a car accident victim that need a blood transfusion. And then think how you'll feel proud for having saved a human life.
    Donating organs/blood should be something that cames from your heart, done for personal satisfaction, not for money.
    That's why I hate all this people involved in illegal organ traffics, they should be sent in jail lifetime.

About me, I would like to donate blood, but I'm a bit scared by needles in veins, but I'm more intentioned to do it.
    About organs, maybe I'll donate them after death, since I don't think I'll need them in my grave, if they can be helpful in any manner, do it.
    I must admit if I'm alive and a family member need a liver or kidney transplant, I'm not sure I'll donate because I'm scared that my life couldn't be the same after it.

How about you? Do you donate/donated blood or organ? what do you think about this?

Kip

I have "Organ Donor" on my driver license and I try to donate blood when I can. I'm not scared of needles, since I've grown up around them(both of my parents are nurses). Though, the needle they use when you donate blood is f*cking huge.

redtails

Funny how your name has "donor" under it!

Donating blood would make me feel like a little factory. The reason my body produces blood is because I need it for myself. If I start tapping blood out of it, what's the difference between me and a bunch of bacteria transferring glucose into ethanol? Everyone can donate what they want of course, I won't prevent anyone from tapping anything from their body. I would donate blood if I can see the result myself. That means I'd donate blood if a loved one, a friend or a family member can live longer because of it. Mindlessly donating blood to the nearest hospital just seems a bit useless. I don't even know my blood type to begin with XD

About donating organs, it's true you can't really take them with you into the afterlife if there is an after life. Just like you can't take your money with you, it's best to make use of what you have and can't use huh

I've never donated blood... but I should do.

As for organs, in the UK you have to opt-in (so you have to actually say that you want your organs to be donated when you die, and if you don't opt-in your organs don't get donated), which I have done.
    Personally I think that an opt-out system would be much better (everyone's organs are donated after they die unless they say they don't want them to be).

redtails

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    Personally I think that an opt-out system would be much better (everyone's organs are donated after they die unless they say they don't want them to be).
    That's exactly what they suggested doing in this country, I'm not sure whether or not the law got through yet. I guess it makes no difference in the end because there'll always be a family member who doesn't want your body to be robbed of all its juices. You obviously can't decide anymore when you're dead, but your family and your partner can always change your decision. At least that's what it's like here.

Footed P.J.

I'm not sure I'm even allowed to donate blood due to my health issues. However, I definitely will donate organs after I die. I have had three good friends with a disease called cystic fibrosis, which is basically a clogging of the lungs (and pancreas) with mucous. This winds up stressing the various other systems in the body, and a lung transplant is required to extend life. The median age of death (with or without transplant) is about 36, however, most tx patients believe it's worth it.

Cfkitty an Inherited Gentic Defect - my late friend Stephanie, who got through two lung txs but died at 21.

FIGHTING TO BREATHE: One Breath at a Time... - a former friend, Kina, who lives with the disease

spirit-of-kina on deviantART - her modeling and art website

.:The Spirit of Kina - A walk in my paws:. - her LiveJournal. Not very up to date, but a good, sometimes emotional read

Organ donation is very close to me.

Well I am registered for ogran donar, I will not need them, and others will. Blood I tried, I realy did, but I get realy sick, passing out, and having to be drivin home. So I swiched to giving platlets. Two needels and more time, but they give you back your blood. (odd ffeeling the first time thoguh.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I have "Organ Donor" on my driver license and I try to donate blood when I can. I'm not scared of needles, since I've grown up around them(both of my parents are nurses). Though, the needle they use when you donate blood is f*cking huge.
    I have donated twice in my life, both at a blood drive that my school has and I have to say that I almost passed out the first time I saw the needle. All the while I was thinking "what have I gotten myself into!". It actually doesn't hurt once they get the needle in, but apparently it was some in-training nurse doing mine, as she yelled over to the other head nurse "am I doing this right?!?!?"

Anyway, all's well that ended well, and I felt good about doing it. Definitely the right thing to do if you are able to give.

Kip

Quote Originally Posted by Footed P.J. View Post
    I'm not sure I'm even allowed to donate blood due to my health issues. However, I definitely will donate organs after I die. I have had three good friends with a disease called cystic fibrosis, which is basically a clogging of the lungs (and pancreas) with mucous. This winds up stressing the various other systems in the body, and a lung transplant is required to extend life. The median age of death (with or without transplant) is about 36, however, most tx patients believe it's worth it.

Cfkitty an Inherited Gentic Defect - my late friend Stephanie, who got through two lung txs but died at 21.

FIGHTING TO BREATHE: One Breath at a Time... - a former friend, Kina, who lives with the disease

spirit-of-kina on deviantART - her modeling and art website

.:The Spirit of Kina - A walk in my paws:. - her LiveJournal. Not very up to date, but a good, sometimes emotional read

Organ donation is very close to me.
    I'm not sure if I am supposed to be donating blood because I was born premature(At 27 weeks, if anyone wants to do the math) and I had probably 12 blood transfusions and my blood type actually changed from A+ to A- because of all of the transfusions. When I donated blood at Boy Scout summer camp last year, my dad said they might not let me donate because I had all of those transfusions, but they let me donate. As for the needle not hurting when it is in your arm, that is because you only have nerves on your skin. You don't have any below your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by baseball4life19 View Post
    I have donated twice in my life, both at a blood drive that my school has and I have to say that I almost passed out the first time I saw the needle. All the while I was thinking "what have I gotten myself into!". It actually doesn't hurt once they get the needle in, but apparently it was some in-training nurse doing mine, as she yelled over to the other head nurse "am I doing this right?!?!?"

Anyway, all's well that ended well, and I felt good about doing it. Definitely the right thing to do if you are able to give.
    That'd scare the crap out of me. There is fairly little that really makes me scared. Needles on the other hand freak me out. So if someone would do that to me I'd be out of there.

I probably would let my organs to be transplanted but I'll pass on the blood donations.